Author Topic: RMAF 2017  (Read 3009 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
RMAF 2017
« on: October 11, 2017, 01:34:17 PM »
Just some thoughts- this was my fourth year going, and some things seem constant:
1. There is just about zero correlation between cost and sound that appeals to me.

2. The Magico room is like a wake/ sitting shiva; men standing around somberly in suit jackets, but let a reviewer from a magazine walk in- it's as if the dead have risen and joviality ensues. Mortals are ignored.

3. To my humble ears, the simplest systems sound best. When I say simple, I'm talking turntable, cd, or tape as source. No bi or tri amping, and other exotica too numerous to mention. I'm not knocking the concept, but it seems that a complex system probably takes weeks to dial in properly.

4. People flock to rooms that are playing actual music, not audiophile crap. And they stay a while longer too. There is a palpable sense of joy when someone offers up The Doors, Cat Stevens, Enigma, Ray Charles, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, etc., etc. I think the most difficult music to audition is classical, as it takes longer to get to where you want to go, and quiet passages are overwhelmed by show noise. But that's just like our club meetings...

5. I know this is strictly a personal judgement call, but combining numbers 3 & 4, I just don't connect with music being played by a guy walking around with an iPad. But that's also related to computer driven audio, which sonically doesn't appeal to me.

Having said all that, some of my favorite sounds came from a newcomer speaker Troy Audio. The model was the Hellena, a very large speaker based on the Altec 604 driver. They were driven by Triode Audio amps, a Metronome CD player, and a French turntable whose name I do not recall. What a great bunch of representatives- the exact opposite of the Magico stuffiness. Kudos to them all.

Another great sounding room was the Golden Ear speakers ($8500.00) and Hegel electronics room.
CD player was the Hegel Mohican, with simple Hegel electronics.

JWM Alyson two way speakers also sounded great. I don't recall the electronics.

Lastly for now, I'll say that the internet's most polarizing speaker- The Tekton Double Impact, sounded good too. I only throw this in because it seems many people that have never heard it deride it's design and therefore declare it can't possibly sound good. It sounded fine.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: RMAF 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:11:37 PM »
Both Tekton rooms driven by Parasound gear sounded very good to me.

Another very good one was the Audio Alchemy electronics with the large Elac speakers. 

Offline James Edward

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:59:38 PM »
Funny thing about the Tektons, I preferred the larger ones; I felt the smaller pair sounded a little congested. Which is usually the opposite of large vs small in these hotel rooms, but both sounded fine, and those that criticize without listening are... Feel free to fill in your choice of words.
I also would like to add to my original post and say thanks to all that exhibited. It is quite a task to haul equipment in, set it up in a day, and have so much riding on it. And people like me commenting on it.
I did not in any way approach this RMAF scientifically, so there are probably rooms I missed, and so on and so forth...
I don't feel I have the knowledge to critically assess the multitude of variables that exist in these shows.
Having said that, the one criticism I feel free to express (other than the maudlin Magico static exhibit), is that my beloved Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers (I own them) did not sound at all good in my opinion. Thin, somewhat tizzy, lack of bass. Maybe it was that particular moment in time, but not at all representative of their character. All the other RMAF shows sounded way better.
Since this is a free-form post, I'll also add that the Acoustic Zen Crescendos sounded fabulous. I sold my pair, and regret not having fed them properly.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 06:07:38 PM »
Nice review! Thanks for sharing your trip, James.

Legacy usually exhibits brand-new speakers with no break in, might account for the thin sound.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:45:08 AM »
Thanks for the reports, James. Did the show have a good number of exhibitors and attendees?
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline James Edward

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 01:04:50 PM »
There were certainly more exhibitors than last year, as the hotel then had some well publicized renovation issues. In fact, I have the nagging feeling that I missed a number of rooms- I've seen some show reports on rooms I'm quite sure I missed.
I'd say the number of attendees was not as high as in past years; this is a double edged sword- it's great for the people attending, but not so great for the exhibitors and show coordinators.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 02:48:54 PM »
James,

Thank you for posting your impressions.

Did the Troy Audio folks say anything about pricing of their Hellena speakers?

Regards,

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline James Edward

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 03:08:48 PM »
Yes and no. He said he did not have a retail price, but thinks somewhere north of 80k.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 03:44:30 PM »
 :shock: :duh

Sigh. I guess I should not be too surprised.

Thank you.
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 09:22:04 AM »
I think James makes some good points in regards on how people demo their equipment.

I have never been to RMAF, but have been to AXPONA a few times and have noticed some of the same things. I think the point James makes the rooms that play actual music is key. I want to hear the prospective gear I am thinking of purchasing playing THE MUSIC I LIKE. What sounds good with one type of music may not sound as good playing another type of music. I really do not like the "audiophile type" sound tracks. It may demo their equipment well, but it really doesn't do it for me in selling the equipment.

Some of my favorite vendors that play real music are the Volti/BP/TWL and Odyssey rooms. They will go out of their way to play your style of music to demo their equipment.

The worst offenders are the high ($$$$$) priced equipment rooms. It is strait audiophile type sounds. But some of the lower priced rooms fall to this as well. The Elac room likes to use a lot of audiophile style music to demo their equipment as well.

IMHO, it would benefit the vendors to play all styles of music. If I were Bill Gates and could afford the most expensive gear out there, the final selling point would be how well it sounds playing my beloved jazz music.  :thumb:

Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC