Author Topic: Folsom DIY7297 & Antipole; LOFI, DCS1 & DCS2  (Read 8316 times)

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Folsom DIY7297 & Antipole; LOFI, DCS1 & DCS2
« on: September 01, 2017, 02:12:15 PM »
Hi everyone, Rollo suggested I post here about some PCB boards I have up for sale.

First is the DIY7297 amplifier & Antipole PSU. There are a few threads about them: here & here. I can't even begin to cover all the pics and comments in this thread.

The DIY7297 amp is two channel 15w, not bridgeable. My version has a KMR section that acts as a capacitor multiplier & voltage regulator. This cuts down noise and makes sure you don't blow up the chip. It features smart PCB layouts such as CFC (capacitor field cancellation), copper pours, and optimized grounding direction that have been tested. It's fitted to accept a variety of input capacitors; and bypass capacitors.

The Antipole psu features an AC filter (CMC & caps), unique to perhaps it in all the world. The same CFC and copper pours are deployed. It uses TO-220 diodes, and fits the amazing Nichicon KG snap caps. It also has aux outputs. This is compatible with lots of projects, and was found to be a big improvement for classD amps like the TPA3116. It is only a single channel output.

Next up are my new GB items:LOFI, DCS1 & DCS2 (here) . All of which haven't hit critical mass (yet). They are designed for use on small signal devices and small amplifiers (generally less than the 7297).

The LOFI is "low output, filterd input". It's just a play on acronym and ironic term. It features what many people know as a "felix" on the input, essentially. The CMC used is also a DMC, by Coilcraft that provides a whopping 25mh. It's a board for the input filter and a high versatile transformer with a variety of voltage options - the Hammond 229 48va. It is compatible with 115/230v, and you can select series or parallel secondaries. If you need + and - output you can use the center tape, CT. This Hammond transformer is a dual bobbin that acts like an RF filter itself, high recommendable for signal devices (Peter Daniels is a big fan, and he started down the path after Mark Levinson being all about them).

The board uses copper pours, has resistors for stopping resonations in the CMC, optional RC for the primary/post CMC, and essentially condenses size into a "wad" of iron that can fit in a smaller space that most are use to with a transforer and 'felix' style filter.

The DCS1 & DCS2 are compact rectifier and ripple filter boards. They feature copper pours and CFC. They are made to use TO-220 diodes such as the MUR860. They have RC's on them that use trimmers so you can fine tune for sound. They have discharge resistors placement. They fit Nichicon 20mm snap caps, KG series (and other snap caps 20mm in diameter). They're small and easy to mount along with the profile of the LOFI. The 1 is for 1 output like if you just need 15v + , and the 2 is for + and - output.

As with everything I make, I provide what I consider to be really good documentation. I consider it all to be luxury DIY in sound and easy of use.

LOFI

DCS1

DCS2

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:14:05 PM by Folsom »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Folsom DIY7297 & Antipole; LOFI, DCS1 & DCS2
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »
Good stuff Folsom. Thanks for the info. DIYers get cracking.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline hogg

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 01:45:04 PM »
Folsom,

Do we order these here or on DIYAUDIO?  Also what is the max power?  Thank you.

Jim
Strong as an Ox and twice as smart

Offline Folsom

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 08:55:23 PM »
Well the DIY7297 & Antipole anywhere. For the LOFI, DCS1 & DCS2 I can add your name from anywhere but prefer to be able to send a group PM on DIYaudio for simplification. It sucks to lose track of someone.

Power for?

The DIY7297 is 15w per channel. It can peak up towards 25w. The LOFI is 48va only.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 05:39:41 PM »
Folsom,
My buddy Gary wants to build one. He read a bit and wants to know if there are any cap upgrades etc that you’d recommend. He will use his own power supply. So Gary will buy the 7297 and Antipole and get the rest from you? He’s a member here
Thanks,
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 04:58:23 PM »
I'm not sure how much I follow. I think the input caps are the big point to upgrade. I like the Jantzen red's quiet a bit. But you can use anything.

The Antipole is the PSU, along with a transformer. You can use something else so long as it has the right voltages (the type of device matters in this case, SMPS and LPS are different needs).

Have him PM me, I'll give info for payment and to get documents. If he wants parts I can bundle or even build and test, but it certainly costs more than DIY.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 03:36:33 PM »
I'm not sure how much I follow. I think the input caps are the big point to upgrade. I like the Jantzen red's quiet a bit. But you can use anything.

The Antipole is the PSU, along with a transformer. You can use something else so long as it has the right voltages (the type of device matters in this case, SMPS and LPS are different needs).

Have him PM me, I'll give info for payment and to get documents. If he wants parts I can bundle or even build and test, but it certainly costs more than DIY.

Thanks. I’ll forward the info and he can contact you to pursue
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dBe

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
Folsom,
My buddy Gary wants to build one. He read a bit and wants to know if there are any cap upgrades etc that you’d recommend. He will use his own power supply. So Gary will buy the 7297 and Antipole and get the rest from you? He’s a member here
Thanks,
Nick
Late to the dance here.

I would wholeheartedly advise Gary to use the Antipole.  It is a great execution of a pretty unique method of avoiding mechanical and electrical resonances in the power supply.  It exudes quality.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 10:27:33 AM »
Folsom,
Thanks,
Nick
Late to the dance here.

I would wholeheartedly advise Gary to use the Antipole.  It is a great execution of a pretty unique method of avoiding mechanical and electrical resonances in the power supply.  It exudes quality.

Gary will likely do that. He’s told me he doesn’t have the correct voltage on his
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 03:11:50 PM »
 :thumb:
Folsom,
Thanks,
Nick
Late to the dance here.

Gary will likely do that. He’s told me he doesn’t have the correct voltage on his
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Folsom

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 11:59:22 AM »
Images. The caps are slightly smaller, but the BOM has updated ones for perfect fit.

And with a DCS board you can get it super snug in if you want, but you can also have it with stand offs taller than the CMC. (put a piece of electrical tape between)

Offline Folsom

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 12:00:05 PM »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 04:06:03 PM »
Images. The caps are slightly smaller, but the BOM has updated ones for perfect fit.

And with a DCS board you can get it super snug in if you want, but you can also have it with stand offs taller than the CMC. (put a piece of electrical tape between)

Thanks for the pics. I have some interest in your amp and someone on this forum would build it for me. As all my audio gear is in the living room, it needs to look nice.....just ask my wife. I noticed on AC that a Takachi case was being used by some. Do you have any thoughts about nice and functional cases?
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »
The Takachi are nice, so are Landfall Systems.

Both are aluminum and act as a good shield for outside noise, and don't look low quality.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »
I sent Danny Richie one of the 7297 amps that I put together.  It is "close" to as designed... I just can't help my self... and he is liking it right out of the gate.

Take a peek over there:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156151.msg1671062#msg1671062

I'll be very interested in what Danny has to say after it has some time on it.

Jeremy's designs are well conceived and executed.  I can't say enough about his attention to the details that bring great SQ.  Well done!   :thumb:

I'll find out what the chassis costs will be.  Gary Dodd designed them for exactly these kinds of applications  and knowing him they are bound to be great quality.  Lord, I miss that man.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe