Author Topic: Omnidirectional Speakers  (Read 2658 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Omnidirectional Speakers
« on: August 23, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
Why is full bandwidth omnidirectional radiation pattern desirable? Everyone says "point source" is good.

I liked how MBL 101 fills the room with sound.

What's the cons of omni?

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Omnidirectional Speakers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 04:04:17 PM »
They might sound bad like MBLs :rofl:

They conflict with spatial cues often, or confuse certain things. It really depends on their directivity and the frequency range of it. I think a good power response is more desirable personally.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 04:34:06 PM »
I had the Shahinian Diapasons years ago ago. They filled the room (cathedral ceilings) with sound. They were a joy to listen to, but a bit of a pain to hook up. Wish I had them now to compare with the soon to be here Nola's. I've heard the MBLs at a hi end dealer in Southern California and the top end wasn't nice at all....sounded like a Tesla machine of sorts. Too much hiss, crackly sounds etc. Why they sounded like that during my listening session, I have no idea. It's not the first time that a hi end dealer has provided poor sound with pricey, well known equipment
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »
Potentially more interaction with the room with adverse effects. It is the opposite of controlled dispersion.
 It has been stated that the perfect transducer would be a pulsating sphere with zero mass, no ringing and at least 20 to 20k frequency response.
Obviously I have never heard such a loudspeaker and I am unclear as to why it is a theoretically preferred design goal.
 I think I would rather have very low mass planer wavefront generating walls in my room. At least 4 channel surround possible and 20 to 20kHz frequency response. It should also be possible to minimize standing wave problems. A planer wavefront does not obey the inverse square law of radiation from a point source. It will be the same SPL regardless of distance from the sound producing wall.
Scotty

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 08:20:29 PM »
I have a pair of old Design Acoustics D-12's from the 70's that are used for HT.  They are about as omnidirectional as it gets.
Mine are white and blue.  9 tweeters, up facing mid, down facing woofer, and one port. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 07:05:50 AM »
Cool looking Mr. Clark. Nick you owned Shahinian and sold them ? Great speaker especially for classical. My buddy Scott Markwell of Elite Distribution still uses them. We all make mistakes during our audio trip.
The Nolas have wonderful tone and properly set up will just shine. Get good stands makes a big difference. My bet is the next thing you change is the amp to a tubes amp. Nolas LOVE da tubes.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline AJ Soundfield

• Seeking Help
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 07:53:04 AM »
Loudspeaker Manufacturer

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 04:43:31 PM »
Cool looking Mr. Clark. Nick you owned Shahinian and sold them ? Great speaker especially for classical. My buddy Scott Markwell of Elite Distribution still uses them. We all make mistakes during our audio trip.
The Nolas have wonderful tone and properly set up will just shine. Get good stands makes a big difference. My bet is the next thing you change is the amp to a tubes amp. Nolas LOVE da tubes.

charles

Yes, Charles. I sold them .... I may have also had my VAC 90s at the same time. That was a long time ago.....
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS