Author Topic: Connecting my Bluesound Node 2 to my Wifi Network  (Read 3890 times)

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Connecting my Bluesound Node 2 to my Wifi Network
« on: March 24, 2018, 11:42:04 AM »
Gents
Finally to the plunge in the ocean of streaming music and bought the Bluesound.

My problem is I believe Im have a signal strenght problem. My modem is on the 2nd floor and my listening room is in the basement.
I have no problems watching Netflix or surfing the net down there but was unable to connect the Node. Once I brought it upstairs, I was able to configure the node to my wifi network.

What to do? I have heard about these extenders/repeaters but which one?

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Connecting my Bluesound Node 2 to my Wifi Network
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:12:18 PM »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
    --Ice Cube

djdube525

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 04:19:44 AM »
I was just about to link/suggest a powerline adapter.

I'm presuming you have a cheap switch or router acting as a switch downstairs. Out of curiosity... do you make your source IP address (computer or NAS) static (tied to the mac address of your source)?

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 04:49:20 AM »

I'm presuming you have a cheap switch or router acting as a switch downstairs. Out of curiosity... do you make your source IP address (computer or NAS) static (tied to the mac address of your source)?

If this is addressed to me, I have no idea what you're talking about :lol:

If so, I just plugged one in upstairs near the router and connected an ethernet cable and the other plugged into a basement outlet
    --Ice Cube

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 10:24:00 AM »

If so, I just plugged one in upstairs near the router and connected an ethernet cable and the other plugged into a basement outlet
emil,

so you have a hard-wired connection from the 2nd floor to the basement?  no way i could do that in my house; i had to go wireless.

doug s.

No No!
I plugged one of the Netgear units  in a electrical outlet on the top floor and the other Netgear unit in a electrical outlet in the basement.
The internet signal travels on the homes electrical lines and not over the air waves..Just make sure both outlets are on the same fusebox, No problem if you have only one fusebox.

Check out the video to the left at the bottom.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S6DBGIS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    --Ice Cube

djdube525

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 12:41:41 PM »

It was :)

What I've found in the past... routers tend to assign local IP addresses dynamically. Cycle power, and your computer has a new IP address. This was especially annoying when I had my squeezebox. When I set up the SB3, it would ask for an IP address of the music server on my PC. Invariable after a PC reboot, and music would stop, I'd then realize "Oh... I need to update the setting in the SB3".

After one or two times of that, I logged into the router, determined the mac address associated with the PC, and reserved a specific IP address for it, which was then populated into the SB3. From that point on... everything has been rock solid.

As for the power line adapters... typically, you'll want to ensure they are on the same/similar power leg/service (A or B) (Edit: Doh! You just said that above). I'm currently using a Zyxel model which has been great... I hear the Netgear ones are also very solid.