Author Topic: The Emotiva CMX-2  (Read 14263 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
The Emotiva CMX-2
« on: August 24, 2016, 12:00:08 PM »
Well, I have taken it all apart and will be commenting on it in the next couple of days.  I have already ordered parts to spiff it up.

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Re: The Emotiva CMX-2
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 12:06:42 PM »
Well, I have taken it all apart and will be commenting on it in the next couple of days.  I have already ordered parts to spiff it up.

What do you think of the stock unit for $99?
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:21:31 PM »

What do you think of the stock unit for $99?
If I had DC problems like my customers do in some locales, it would be the first $99.00 I would spend to attack to problem.  It is very nicely done.  The ISO9001 facilities can and do some great work.

The casework extrusion is top notch as is the powder coating.  I like the built in line tester, but that needs to be quieted down.  Looks like a reasonable choice of parts and values given its' price.  I'll be into it more as I go along.  Almost wish I had (shhh, you know) on my AC lines to be able to tell.  I'll have to build something to unbalance what I have and go about it that way, I think.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 09:27:46 PM »
Dave,
Something that might be of interest.

Try growing some copper sulfate on copper AC connections.  Has created lots of line hash and instabilities at my power meter connections.

Just a thought.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 10:08:17 AM »
Dave,  I'm really looking forward to what you find.   My CMX-2 seems to be serving its purpose (thank you Emil!) but I'm eager to learn if you find ways on improving it.   And if you need a beta-tester, I'm here for you  :thumb:

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 11:13:28 AM »
Dave,  I'm really looking forward to what you find.   My CMX-2 seems to be serving its purpose (thank you Emil!) but I'm eager to learn if you find ways on improving it.   And if you need a beta-tester, I'm here for you  :thumb:
You are my guy, Mike.  We've been down this road for a while, Bro'.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »
I should have an update to this thread early next week.  I've been swamped with life and business and I am thankful for both.  Thank you everyone!

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
Count me in for beta testing or being an early adopter. I have a CMX 2 as well as a CMX 6 as candidates for modification. I have so many issues with the electrical in my house that I had layers upon layers of power tweaks. For everyone's head scratching or laughing pleasure here is what I did.

Upgraded PS Audio Decora outlet -> CMX-2 with Pangea AC 9 power cord -> modified Isolation Transformer -> Belkin Power strip.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 11:37:04 AM »
Here is what a customer of mine has to say:  Unit came a day early.  This unit definitely works.  Took the Majik Buss from an audible buzz I could hear across the room to one that you have to put your ear up to the unit to hear anything.   Much better.

Now, all I need to do is figure out how to get the compressor on a wine fridge and larger fridge to not make so much noise.  That is all I can hear now."

I told him to drink all of the wine and then turn that one off.

He had just finished a major remodel and almost everything that he installed in the house was a potential source of DC... especially the induction range.

I've been slammed in the shop now that my back is better and will do the first installment on the CMX-2 tonight or tomorrow.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 01:29:39 PM »
Dave,  that's pretty much the same result I've had with the CMX-2.   I can now just barely hear the Uber buzz and even then, only if I get down on the floor next to it.   Seems like a pretty inexpensive way to deal with the problem.

Now, what I haven't really attempted to see is if it is having any affect on sound quality.  I don't notice any issues but trying to switch it in and out of circuit is a royal pain so just haven't done so (please don't take away my AN credentials ;-)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 01:07:03 PM »
OK, I've tried everything I can think of to post a picture from my computer on this threat.

Any ideas?

HELP!

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 01:58:55 PM »
Dave,
Click the additional options and use the Browse to get the file to attach.  Works on IE11.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 10:54:55 AM »
Dave,
Click the additional options and use the Browse to get the file to attach.  Works on IE11.
Thanks, Rich.  We'll see if OS X 10.10.5 works, too.

It'll be headed to you this week... really.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 10:59:33 AM »
Thanks, Rich.  I at least got an attachment so we can see what will be the mod topic!   :thumb:

More tonight.  Off to the shop.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:01:21 AM by P.I. »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 01:49:21 PM »
Dave,
Glad it worked.

Check email about the BB.

Best,
Rich