Author Topic: Speaker Grills  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Speaker Grills
« on: June 12, 2015, 11:18:44 AM »
Anyone here listen with the grills on?

Looking to make grills, for purely cosmetic reason, from some acoustically
"transparent" fabric offered over at Parts Express but I cant help but think that not all the music will be getting through.

Your thoughts?
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Speaker Grills
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 01:01:26 PM »
Take a look at my avatar. My speakers use a "grill less" design. I stretch grill cloth between wood pieces. No diffraction
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 02:52:25 PM »
Only the very top of the treble range is effected. Toe them in a little more toward you to compensate. or cut a little hole where the tweeter goes.  :rofl:

Guilford of Maine makes acoustically transparent fabric for covering furniture, acoustic panels, etc. Not meant for speaker grill though.
https://acousticalsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/D-Guilford-of-Maine-FR701-Acoustic-Fabric.pdf
It is pretty transparent to sound, but I did use color samples of it to hang in front of overly bright tweeters to knock them down a hair. :) Slightly better WAF than tissue paper.  :rofl:

I saw the ad for the Parts express stuff. That's probably even more acoustically transparent because it is thinner and seems less opaque to light. It's seems like more plasticky, less cottony than FR701, so maybe less absorbent?

Will you build a frame from wood, or try that frame kit from PE?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 06:54:54 AM »
 Off unless speaker specifically designed to have grill on. One should be able to hear a difference. If not leave it be.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.