Author Topic: PI Audio Uberbuss  (Read 20912 times)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
PI Audio Uberbuss
« on: November 18, 2013, 08:35:31 AM »
I am a new owner of one of Dave's Uberbuss's. I want to break this new piece in, but not run my system 24/7 to do it.  I've asked a few of my audio cronies about this and have gotten different suggestions.  (FYI - there are 3 duplex outlets on the Uber.) Rather than list what I've been told already (especially because they vary so much) I want to know what the actual "mechanics" behind the break-in process are.

In no particular order...

• Does it matter what you plug in to it? (E.g.: if I plug in a lamp with a 60 watt bulb in it and leave it on, will that "do it"?)

• Does whatever I plug into it have to have a varying degree of "draw" through the Uber, thus my light bulb idea now becomes useless?

• If whatever I plug into it has a "sleep" mode (E.g.: a computer) does that defeat the purpose because there's not enough "juice" being used?

• Whenever I figure out WHAT to plug into it, do I have to rotate it around to each of the 6 sockets?

Comments, suggestions, etc... (Please be specific)

Thanks!
SN

P.S. to my local buddies: I'm asking for more info. because I still don't understand how this process works - not because I don't trust your judgement in what you've recommended.
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: PI Audio Uberbuss
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
The mechanics of break in for electronics is simply the gradual formation of stable electric fields in the insulation material that is in contact with the conductor. It takes time to form, depending on the voltage applied and the type of insulation. Likewise, the fields built up during use will dissipate with lack of use and require repeating break in again. Some insulation materials like teflon require longer time to establish a stable electric field while others like cotton require less time.

Transformers and caps in power filters have a lot of dielectric material in contact with the conductors, so maybe it will take some time for the UberBuss.

My outlook on break in is that you have already bought it, and you're not sending it back for a refund, so it really doesn't matter when the break in ends. You can't speed it up, so there's no point worrying about it, unless you are gear oriented audiophile who enjoys observing how machine changes  over time. For me, that perspective is too far down the rabbit hole. It just doesn't matter when there is music to focus on instead. The system is as good as you can make it, so just ignore the break in. Maybe you will notice it change, maybe not. It doesn't matter, it is what it is. And it will probably get even better with break in. If it doesn't who cares? Hopefully inserting the brand new component will immediately sound better than what it's replacing, because any improvements due to break in are usually minor compared to the overall performance improvement potential of a given upgrade. If you don't hear strong indications of the improvement on the first impression of brand new unbroken component, then it probably won't get that much better after break in. You should be able to hear most of it on the first listen.

For loudspeakers it is totally different, because the drivers need physical exercise to break in, and this drastically effects performance potential. Speakers usually need just 100 hours, whereas some caps will take 500 or more. But dielectric break in is not that big of an effect as loosening driver suspension. The better quality of the dielectric (teflon) the longer it takes to charge it, so the longer the break in and the more dramatic the improvement caused by the break in. Teflon caps can sound very bad during charging as partially charged fields affect the signal negatively.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 07:37:27 PM »
Thanks, Rich.  How did I know "The Professor" would come through, as always! :thumb:

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »
Hey Hoser,
Why don't you just contact Dave Elledge at PI, the designer & builder of your UBER for his burn-in thoughts???

He would know best, eh!

Take off, eh,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:33:34 AM »
Pete

I traded PM's with Dave re: break-in after I started this thread.

He said the Uber shouldn't need more than a day for the caps to stabilize, but will need a week or two of use to be fully "cooked".  He did say that if I plug a fan, a lamp, TV, fridge, whatever into it for a few days it would speed up the process.

I guess I should've mentioned that here as an update, which is my bad! :duh but I still was curious to what other ideas any one else had. 

In the meanwhile, "See you in the great white North!"  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 08:27:13 AM »
 Bill welcome to the Uber Club. it takes some time. Best way is to plug Refrig. into Uber for two weeks and be done. You will hear a difference. Off the bat good then bright bright bright until its cooked. Happy cooking.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:34:37 AM »
Bill welcome to the Uber Club. it takes some time. Best way is to plug Refrig. into Uber for two weeks and be done. You will hear a difference. Off the bat good then bright bright bright until its cooked. Happy cooking.

charles

A side benefit is the contrast of your refrig bulb will be better making the food look better..not to mention a more appealing compressor hum !!!  :lol:

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »

charles  

I've read about this before on other forums. I wish I could find the links for you. For some heavy duty power conditioners or even power cords people have used fridges or freezers to burn in their gear. From what I can remember they said the cycling on and off them can simulate what occurs when music is playing on your system. I also found a high efficiency front loading washer can be good to use as well. I found the LG one I have can sometimes start off at 10 watts and spike to 540 watts in seconds.

I can't tell you the exact science of what burning in these power stuff does but I can share with you what I did. It will probably make people laugh at how crazy I got.

Using a Kill a Watt for the components I was going to use with my isolation transformers I measured what wattage they consumed. Taking that number I would measure what other electrical appliances consumed. I would then plug those household items into new outlet, isolation transformer or power cord turned into extension cord. I always wanted to make sure that the household appliance I was using drew more than what  my components did to make sure the audio power gear was really being taxed. You should have seen my wife's face when she saw me vacuuming around the house one day and in tow was my 1.8 kVA Isolation transformer. She rolled her eyes another time when she saw me ironing and I had 2 daisy chained power cords and another isolation transformer at my feet. I did alternate the sockets to be used for burn in. I don't know if it made a difference but I wanted to make sure I had all bases covered. Thank God I'm done for now with power break in.

Also Thanks SN for posting this thread. I had questions like yours before but I was a bit bashful in asking so I did what I did.

I hope is all works out with the Uberbuss.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
You're welcome Dean! :thumb:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 07:15:40 AM »
So ?? Are we soup yet ? What differences do you hear ? Now you need another one.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 07:18:03 AM »
Well, I've joined the Uber club!! 👍 Ordered a quad from Dave and it should be here in a couple of weeks.
I don't have the funds to get a good pc with it right now, but all in due time. I've been thinking about this for a couple of years and it's finally going to happen. Dave and I traded a few emails and he asked a few questions about my system and especially my modded McCormack amp and he's confident it'll work in my setup.
I'll keep you posted....
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 12:24:48 AM »
I've got all of the pieces/parts undergoing reliability testing at this time. ,Next comes the impulse response and over all good thingd.

It'll ship out on Monday, but:  USPS here is just suckable.  Be prepared to see it in USPS Shipping info on Tuesday.

I'm not fond of USPS, but they are the lowest cost.  Since I do my very best to keep every expense low, sometime thay just fool all of us as to when they go out the door and I jkust have to eat it or try rto explain why a 2-day Priority Mail shipment takes 4 days.  That is a toughie.

Ta'...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 07:57:47 AM »
I've got all of the pieces/parts undergoing reliability testing at this time. ,Next comes the impulse response and over all good thingd.

It'll ship out on Monday, but:  USPS here is just suckable.  Be prepared to see it in USPS Shipping info on Tuesday.

I'm not fond of USPS, but they are the lowest cost.  Since I do my very best to keep every expense low, sometime thay just fool all of us as to when they go out the door and I jkust have to eat it or try rto explain why a 2-day Priority Mail shipment takes 4 days.  That is a toughie.

Ta'...

Thanks for the update. Similar issues here with Priority Mail. Most annoying is when they don't scan the barcode so I can't follow the shipping progress. Oh well.....
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 11:37:04 PM »
The Uber has landed! Now to put some hours on it and report my findings
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 05:06:13 AM »
The Uber has landed! Now to put some hours on it and report my findings
Nick

New toys are always fun.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables