Author Topic: Cable tweak  (Read 12393 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Cable tweak
« on: January 05, 2015, 06:51:04 PM »
Got another crazy idea i want to share. OK we know graphite is good at digital noise surpression. I haven't tried this yet  :rofl: but

Looking at power or xlr cables into a dac. Is it reasonable to assume that by inserting graphite pencil lead (refillable) into the ground pin on a PC or XLR it might suppress any digital noise making it's way down the ground? On an xlr it looks like a #2 pencil would fit nicely in the pin.  :rofl:. I am going to try this.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline sleepyguy24

Re: Cable tweak
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:33:15 PM »
For the XLR cable input why not just get an XLR shorting plug?

I know it isn't as cheap as pencil or graphite tube but I don't think I've ever seen someone insert a graphite piece into an XLR input. I"ve seen these shorting plugs though.

Offline Werd

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:25:59 PM »
I meant on the xlr male connector. If you open up your balanced cables then look where it is soldered. The pins are hollow. Pin 1 is ground and will house pencil lead...  :lol:. On a power cable the ground prong is very often hollow also. For noise surpression into the ground wire...
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 06:55:15 AM »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 07:54:01 AM »
  Werd interesting thought. Resonance control has recently been studied and found by Furutech for their power offerings and connectors to have a positive affect on the signal or current passing through.
  Let us know your findings.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 08:27:02 AM »
This might help you Werd
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/graphite.htm

Thanks Rich, I was literally wondering how to get the lead out of my pencil. Don't need much so i was just going to pick at it. I am not using it for any resistor value so it can break too. If it was summer i would burn it off. I also didn't realize graphite can be fashioned into a resistor. Which means i can fill all the pins with graphite.

I am thinking there still will not be enough graphite for any meaning full noise supression but maybe resonance like Rollo mentioned.

You never know until you try.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:29:23 AM by Werd »
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »
So you will just stuff the hollows of the XLR pins with graphite, but not actually run a signal through a graphite resistor?

Some pencil leads are glued into the wood pencil, so it might not come out easy. A real wood pencil would probably be easier to open than one of those bendy fake wood pencils.

What about using pure graphite?
http://www.amazon.com/Generals-Powdered-Graphite-6-Oz/dp/B000A3W4HE

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 11:55:38 AM »
I was reading somewhere (recently) of someone buying quartz based reptile gravel. He filled his external crossover boxes with them, accomplishing 2 things:

- resonance control (because this was fine gravel)
- RFI supression (because it was quartz)

No, it's not lead, but perhaps you should try filling your plug ends with this and see what happens.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 12:36:36 PM »
Shek's new ceramic fuses that he likes are filled with quartz sand, to prevent molten fuse element from flying if the fuse explodes. But it might also affect the sound quality.

Acoustic Revive makes a power strip that is filled with crushed tourmaline, it's supposedly very effective at reducing noise. Tourmaline is magical stuff. I carry a piece in my pocket when I need extra energy.

Offline Werd

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 12:51:35 AM »
So you will just stuff the hollows of the XLR pins with graphite, but not actually run a signal through a graphite resistor?

Some pencil leads are glued into the wood pencil, so it might not come out easy. A real wood pencil would probably be easier to open than one of those bendy fake wood pencils.

What about using pure graphite?
http://www.amazon.com/Generals-Powdered-Graphite-6-Oz/dp/B000A3W4HE

Using that graphite powder scares the shit out of me. I would almost certsinly create a path that could blow shit up...  :lol:
I am only looking at filling the pins with solid graphite. I will have a good evaluation this weekend done. My reference will be this Shatki stone ( which i think is mostly graphite) ?
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 11:53:42 AM »
Update, apparently the pins are not hollow all the way. H2 penciles are too big and the refills i have are too small. There is about .5 centimeter fill though but its needs to be the exact size.

I did try inserting the pencil lead into the ground on my dac and BDP male prongs PCs. This is quite easy to do and breaking a pencil in half will let lead fall. Just insert the lead into the ground prong gap ... Too easy. 

There might be something to this. I am not sure yet. It is not night and day but it may be all in my noggin. I will let it sit like this for awhile and try again with the lead gone. 
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 08:19:41 AM »
   Werd I think that Librarian would appreciate more lead in the pencil.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 08:57:11 AM »
Haha i've thought that too.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 11:33:33 AM »
  An old subject that matters. OK clean all connections. Then reinstall cables. Listen. Then after cables stay UNTOUUCHED for three days listen again. Improvement ? You betcha.
  Make sure not one cable touches another, Cables do not cross each other, Cables OFF floor.  :thumb:

charles