Author Topic: Triode Wire Labs 7+ & 8+ power cords  (Read 24710 times)

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Triode Wire Labs 7+ & 8+ power cords
« on: January 24, 2013, 12:57:26 PM »
Triode Wire Labs 7+ and 8+ Power Cords (7 and 8 gauge respectively).

This is not a full review because I have not had enough time to do one due to problems with both my DAC and amp. However, I did get to listen to both cords for several hours; the 7+ on my amp and, then, the 8+ on my DAC. For several days prior and in the hours leading up to the switch, I had been using a pair of 8 gauge Purist Audio 20th Anniversary power cords ($2500 list each) on the equipment, that a friend had lent me.

The Purist, compared to my own cords (which are only 10 gauge), were explosively dynamic and effortless in presentation. They had a lower noise floor and a deeper soundstage.

The interesting thing is that the TWL cords, at a fifth of the price, matched the Purist in dynamics and effortlessness. They did not have the really deep soundstage that the Purist did but the latter, in comparison, sounded a bit too forward for my taste. Soundstage on both was wide and tall. The Purist was more incisive (sharper transient attacks) and separated individual lines better but the TWL overall sounded more coherent, of a piece.

What is more, and of utmost importance to me, the TWL cords produced a greater harmonic richness/tonal density, without being veiled or muddy. The end result being that, in my system, I preferred the TWL 7 & 8 Plus to the Purist 20th Anniversary power cords. This is an amazing achievement for TWL.

Yes, I bought them.

System: APC power conditioner > Mac Mini (Pure Music)/LaCie external drive > ART Legato > EE Minimax DAC (modded) > Rogue Cronus Magnum (KT 120s) > Aural Acoustics Model B.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:29:49 PM by rpf »
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: Triode Wire Labs 7+ & 8+ power cords
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:35:52 PM »
Congrats! :thumb:
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:15:50 AM »
That's why I got the 7.

And the 12 for my dac.

Pete does fine work at a great price.  :thumb:

What is more, and of utmost importance to me, the TWL cords produced a greater harmonic richness/tonal density, without being veiled or muddy.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 09:31:26 AM »
  Glad I recommended them for you to try out. The cords speak for themselves. Rob our experience has been that the cords take some time to truly open up. The Cable Cooker used does a VG good job however we have found that more time reveals a bigger sound stage and depth. Enjoy !!!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:58:23 PM »
These results do not surprise me in the least. There is not a single piece of gear in my system that did not benefit from the addition of a TWL cord, including the TT power supply.

I cannot explain it, but I sure as hell do enjoy it!  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:18:05 PM »
So is it 7+ and 8+ cords on amps or integrateds? Then for the sources is it the thinner gauge power cords?

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 06:12:16 AM »
Thicker is usually better. If you can go for it put a 7+ on everything. It might be a bit of overkill, and a smaller gauge on sources could work fine, but having big hefty power supplying conduits to your components will make your wimpy girly man stereo into a truly man sized mench of a system.

BEFORE

AFTER
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 06:29:28 AM »
Excellent post Bob. You made me :D with that one.

I may just ask Triode Pete but do the TRL 7+ or 8+ have some kind of cable strain relief on both ends? I'm currently trying Pangea AC9 power cords on my amps as well as on my power conditioners and I'm finding they begin to sag from either the socket or amp side. My outlets are either new PS Audio Decora type outlets or the older Porter Port Hubbell based outlets.

On the amp side I'm going to wrap the Pangea AC9 plug ends with electrical tape and prop up the excess cable with some spare wood blocks I have but am curious if the TRL cords take into account strain caused by weight.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 06:49:40 AM »
Excellent post Bob. You made me :D with that one.

I may just ask Triode Pete but do the TRL 7+ or 8+ have some kind of cable strain relief on both ends? I'm currently trying Pangea AC9 power cords on my amps as well as on my power conditioners and I'm finding they begin to sag from either the socket or amp side. My outlets are either new PS Audio Decora type outlets or the older Porter Port Hubbell based outlets.

On the amp side I'm going to wrap the Pangea AC9 plug ends with electrical tape and prop up the excess cable with some spare wood blocks I have but am curious if the TRL cords take into account strain caused by weight.

SG24

Even though Pete's cords (I have two 7+'s and an 8+, so far) can be heavy in gauge, they're really not heavy in weight.  They're also very flexible, so they may allow you to position them in a way to support themselves adequately without sagging or the need for blocks to prop them up.

I hope this helps. :thumb:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 08:28:34 AM »
The TWL cords are built like a tank. For an Amp, intergrated or power conditioners I recco the 7+ cords. The plugs used fit like a glove, no sagging. However some IECs are not up to snuff. To date a non issue but I'm sure there is an IEC TWL doesn't like.
    The lesser gauges for CDP, DAC are all VG however we like 8+ for that. Have fun trying.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 10:24:23 AM »

Pete's cords are far more flexible and lighter than the Pangea AC9.  No comparison on any front.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 07:29:03 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input. I have made note of everyone's thoughts/findings. I also went through parts of the Pangea thread here and made some notes there. For now I will give the Pangea AC9s a try while I save up money for the next round of upgrades.

Offline dflee

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
You might want to contact Pete and see if he has any used (traded in) cords. I did and got a revamped 8+ and could not be happier. Pete is a great guy to talk with and ya never know what he might have around. I hope to get another from him some time.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 08:39:31 AM »
You might want to contact Pete and see if he has any used (traded in) cords. I did and got a revamped 8+ and could not be happier. Pete is a great guy to talk with and ya never know what he might have around. I hope to get another from him some time.

Don

Don good to see you posting here, welcome.

charles

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Upgrading to TWL Plus power cords
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 06:48:42 AM »
An update on Pete's TWL Plus cords...

A few weeks ago in a fit of much deserved audio-nervosa, I had Pete upgrade all of my pre-Plus TWL powercords to Plus status along with getting them cryoed.  Well, the upgraded cords came home to Papa last week and I'm one happy audio dude. Having been TWL-less for several weeks, I'm not really able to speak in detail on before and after, but what I can say is that I feel my system has never sounded better.  Here's just a couple of things I noticed with the upgraded cords in place...

There's an album I've been listening to quite a bit of late called Night by Tift Merritt and Simone Dinnerstein.  I'm touched by the music and fascinated by the recording quality.  On a few songs the vocals may be mic'd a bit hot, but for most of it, it's exceptional.  After inserting the Plus powercords, this album took a big step toward placing me in the performance space - grand soundstage, black backdrop yet with voices and instruments clear as a bell floating within a 3 dimensional space.  There is one song where a harmonica floats high center stage left and a step back from the front. I'm sure it was there before, but it struck me as so much more real and integral to the performance. Gotta love this stuff!

Another fave for me is Holly Cole.  She has a deep, warm and incredibly sexy voice - rich, organic, & voluptuous (well, OK, that last one is probably more about what I was imagining than what I was hearing ;-)  On the song I Can See Clearly Now from Don't Smoke in Bed, there is a strong bass line throughout just to the left of center stage with piano set back to the right -- two instruments that just seemed far more real with the Plus cords in place.  In the 1st half of this song, her voice is clear, sweet and relaxed.  About mid way, the song crescendos and her voice easily pulls you emotionally in raising goosebumps along the way.  In the crescendo, Holly's voice turns a bit thin and edgy, but the strength of her voice and emotion of the performance carries the song in a big way. I did listen to this with other power cords several times and what Pete's Plus cords seem to do with greatest effect is make that 'thin and edgy' a very real attribute of the strength and characteristic of her voice in the performance, rather than a sonic signature of my stereo. It's a fine line but contributes in a big way toward improving goosebump potential. (i.e. musicality, prat, emotion!)

Pete's power cords are not just great-bang-for-the-buck cords (which they are), they just seem to enable my system to sound more musically engaging than anything else that I've tried.  For me, that's what it's all about (standard caveats apply: my system, my music, my ears, my imagination ;-).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:41:40 PM by mdconnelly »