Author Topic: HT Projector Suggestions needed  (Read 15616 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
HT Projector Suggestions needed
« on: August 12, 2008, 07:04:12 AM »
One day, when I finish the HT room, I'll need a projector.  My plan is to mount it to the ceiling in the HT and build a sound-isolating box around it.  How isolated can it be if it needs to dissapate heat, though?  So, I'd like something that runs quietly and is small.  Also, I've noticed a lot of people really get the projector down low into the room.  I don't want to hit my head on it nor do I want it to be a dominant part of the room design.  So, if I mount it near the ceiling, is that a problem?  Will it be brighter on the top?

So far the best I've seen (online) is the Panasonic AE2000 which is in the $2,500 range.  I don't want to spend more than 3,k on this... and I've got a totally dark room with a nice and reflective 100" retractable screen.  The ceiling will be black... The area behind the screen will be dark.

I'm not sure if I'll 'need' a scaler.  I can do 2 HDMI outputs directly from the 2 main sources I'll be using. (HD Cable and BluRay/DVD player)  The player outputs 1080P but the cable box only goes to 720P/1080i... unless something changes by the time I get the room done.

So, that's the basic situation... Oh, and the PJ can be about 12-15 feet from the screen.  I looked at specs on all of them when I was placing the outlet and that's what seemed to work for everything.  If I had to go significantly farther/closer, that's no problem either... It's all ceiling to me. ;)

Thanks for any advice.

-C

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: HT Projector Suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:19:58 AM »
I don't have any projector recommendations...but a thought on the isolation box:

What if you placed a small 'muffin' fan above the ceiling and then connected a venting tube between it and the box...so that it would draw hot air out of the box and vent it into the ceiling...just thinking 'outside-the-box'  :roll:!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 01:53:16 PM »
Interestingly, I thought about running a mini-return line from the HVAC to it... So, you're not far from that thought.. ;)  I'll look into the mushroom fan, thanks!
-C

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 04:20:05 AM »
I'm not sure you need to worry about sound isolation. The new PJ's run very quietly in lower power modes - <30dB - but still throw a lot of heat, which could be troublesome for a hush box.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 12:45:10 PM »
I think a 4" duct like a bathroom exhaust fan will work.  20db is too much directly overhead for me... but with the noise of the actual movie, should be OK.. but I still want to do what I can.  Maybe hush-ish and not full-hush is what I'll do... enclosed on all but the front side... with foam lining.. I still need air to get through as well.

I gave up on the hush-box in the back of the room... a 27' throw required a lot of money.  :shock:  So, this will be on the ceiling about 15' back. 

I'm wondering how the tilt/keystone thing will end up if the PJ is mounted flush with the ceiling.  Will it be noticeably brighter at the top and dimmer at the bottom?  I always wondered why the PJ's were mounted so low but I guess that's why.  I can't deal with a PJ too far down in the room, takes away from the soundroom pleasure. ;)

-C

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 12:47:22 PM »
Well, if you're still building the room, the easiest way is to run a cold air return inside the box to your HVAC system.  Plenty of air movement and basically zero noise.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 12:49:14 PM »
I'm ready for drywall, just tying up loose ends now before I move on with my life. ;)
I'll do the return for the HVAC then... only thing is will it be on often enough to actually do anything.. ?

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 02:01:44 AM »
I'm wondering how the tilt/keystone thing will end up if the PJ is mounted flush with the ceiling. 
Carl, do NOT even think about using the keystone correction.  If you can't mount the projector/screen with the proper geometry, then make sure you get a projector with lens shift.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 12:19:25 PM »
I think I'm covered on lens shifting, then.  I understand the concept, glad to know the AE-2000 has it...
Quote from: Panasonic AE2000 Features
A 2x optical power zoom/focus lens and a lens shift function together make it possible to project a 120-inch picture from as close as 11' 10" (3.6 m) to the screen or as far as 23' 7" (7.2 m) away. In addition, the image can be shifted ±100% vertically, and ±40% horizontally. This gives you outstanding setup flexibility. If you choose to ceiling-mount the projector, you can zoom and focus by a remote control.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 05:25:14 PM »
I'm ready for drywall, just tying up loose ends now before I move on with my life. ;)
I'll do the return for the HVAC then... only thing is will it be on often enough to actually do anything.. ?

A couple different options.   

If the fan is left on instead of 'auto' when watching, it's plenty good.  If not, then you can use an attic thermostat in the hushbox tied to an inline duct fan to pull air.

Bryan

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 05:42:27 PM »
Well, the sheetrock got put on hold and we're back in business now... and I'm back to finalizing cables and such from the projector.  I'm now getting the AE3000: http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae3000_projector_review.htm

So, I'm running 3 HDMI cables, 1 VGA, and 1 component set.  There is also a serial cable but I don't know what that's for.  Any ideas? 

Thanks,
Carl

ik632

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:04:57 AM »
Serial is usually for control (if you had it somewhere that IR wouldn't reach). For what it's worth, when I had my projector mounted I had it upside down (as suggested) so the throw was correct for my screen and I didn't need to use any keystone correction.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 12:37:05 PM »
OK, it's been called to my attention that Panasonic has a dust bunny issue.. So, I'm entertaining other ideas.. Also, from what I've seen, I really prefer the look of DLP and LCOS technology over LCD.

I found a Sony HW10 to look nice.. and somewhat tips the budget of 3,k. 

This pj will be used for movies mainly, from a Bluray player.. and some high-speed gaming on occasion... and maybe TV, but that's a distant 3rd.  Being quiet is important.  Being sharp, and color correct is important.. .and a nice smooth picture but that isn't 'soft'.

It's still getting ceiling-mount.  If I could afford it, I'd get the JVC DS10 but that's just too much and it is only 'average' in audible noise.

Any suggestions?

-C
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:38:44 PM by Carlman »

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 12:55:44 PM »
If you want smooth, the JVC or the Sony is the way to go.  I have a bit of a hook up on pricing for the JVC if you're interested.  PM me for specifics.

Bryan

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 07:05:04 PM »
OK, it's been called to my attention that Panasonic has a dust bunny issue..

My bad...... :(

As for what to get, I still like the Epson 1080. For the money it's hard to beat.