Author Topic: tube issues with new preamp  (Read 7277 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: tube issues with new preamp
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 08:36:48 AM »
Didn't you just buy that new from Charles a few months ago? Is the noise on one side or both?  If one have you swapped the tubes left to right?

Is Rollo aware of the noisy pot problem that the manufacturer refuses to do anything about it?
Hard to believe that that would sit well with Charles.

Got that right Emil. We need to clarify and stop this wrong information. The Manf. has dealers and USA distributor to handle any issue that arises. That is called customer service.
The Manf. directed the issue to the USA  distributor and Rollo Audio. I would have never known about "tube noise" until I read it posted here.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »
Nick I told you if the pot noise persists after warranty expires I would  personally take care of problem. Tubes go now and then which the Manf. or I have control over. Sometimes tubes when they settle make a slight noise and then gone.
Is tube noise still present ? Try switching tubes ?
I'm starting to think maybe a tube issue all along. Maybe not pot. We need to try different tubes. FYI no other customer has had this issue. Your the only one. Get a Shamrock already.

charles

Charles,
Yes, you did tell me that. I’m a pretty patient guy, but I do get frustrated at times. Being a tube novice, I really don’t know how to handle these issues. All I can tell you is what the guy at Audio Hungary told me. He acknowledged that this particular type Alps pot has graphite and that they can get noisy. I have manually turned that pot back and forth and that kept the noise away for a time. What’s happening lately is the same procedure doesn’t help much now...the noise is back very quickly. What is interesting is the other night when I turned the pot manually, the noise was present..or more present..in the right channel. Maybe it is both the pot and a tube.
I just had a minor surgical procedure today, so I’m not going to open the preamp and switch tubes etc for a couple of days. I will switch tubes then and keep you posted and I assume it will be obvious as to which tubes go to the right and left channels. The noise issue(s) has been consistent and I’d like to resolve it within the warranty period. As I mentioned previously, this is a fantastic sounding preamp and maybe Murphy’s law has dictated that I am the one ... and only...customer with this issue.
The workmanship on this unit is stellar, but I just want to get this resolved. Any one of us on this forum would be frustrated having issues with a new piece of equipment.
So I’m going to kick back right now,  keep ice on my knee and live happily with pain meds for a couple of days.
I appreciate the discount you gave me and the superb sound of this unit  :thumb:
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 09:13:43 AM »
Didn't you just buy that new from Charles a few months ago? Is the noise on one side or both?  If one have you swapped the tubes left to right?

Is Rollo aware of the noisy pot problem that the manufacturer refuses to do anything about it?
Hard to believe that that would sit well with Charles.

Got that right Emil. We need to clarify and stop this wrong information. The Manf. has dealers and USA distributor to handle any issue that arises. That is called customer service.
The Manf. directed the issue to the USA  distributor and Rollo Audio. I would have never known about "tube noise" until I read it posted here.

charles

To clarify a couple of things, I had contact with Audio Hungary before I bought the unit as I had a number of questions I wanted answers to before I ever considered a purchase. Then when the pot noise issue arose, I contacted them again to discuss because we had already exchanged emails. He acknowledged the potential of a noisy pot, but didn’t seem interested in resolving it via replacing the pot. That didn’t sit well with me, but I just did the manual wipe thing as it was my only option. Then when the other noise arose, I did post here to get quickly get opinions on that.
I am not the type to disparage anyone or any manufacturer. We read about those ugly discourses on other forums. But geez, this was happening on a new unit and frustration did set in.
In a few days, I’ll switch tubes and advise. This is just one of those things that happens and being a solid state guy for the last 25 years, I was concerned a bit about the potential for tube issues.
I’ll let the matter rest for a few days as I recoup. I’m sure it’ll get resolved soon. I still like  the
company, the sound and Charles, I appreciate your concern and thanks for your contributions here on the forum. Your enthusiasm for audio is refreshing and appreciated.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 10:35:29 AM »
Nick I'm starting to think it is a 12AX7 tube. As I said if it is pot you will get proper customer service. When you feel better try switching tubes around. It just may be the issue. We WILL get you happy.

love
charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 12:31:45 PM »
Nick I'm starting to think it is a 12AX7 tube. As I said if it is pot you will get proper customer service. When you feel better try switching tubes around. It just may be the issue. We WILL get you happy.

love
charles

Charles,
I’m feeling pretty good and will switch them soon. Maybe it’s those pain meds that are making me happy 😃. If it’s a tube, I’m guessing there’s a 90 day warranty and I’m past that. Deepak said he has some extra or I might upgrade. Not sure where those stock tubes are sourced.
Thanks!
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 08:53:08 PM »

So I’m going to kick back right now,  keep ice on my knee and live happily with pain meds for a couple of days.

Pain meds? Sounds like the perfect time to pull out DSOTM.  :D

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 12:35:56 AM »

Pain meds? Sounds like the perfect time to pull out DSOTM.  :D

That’s really rad, dude... 🚬
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 07:33:31 AM »

love
charles

Charles,
I’m feeling pretty good and will switch them soon. Maybe it’s those pain meds that are making me happy 😃. If it’s a tube, I’m guessing there’s a 90 day warranty and I’m past that. Deepak said he has some extra or I might upgrade. Not sure where those stock tubes are sourced.
Thanks!
Nick

Nick if a tube I will get you tube required from Audio Hungary. Out of warranty or not. However some NOS Raytheon or RCA 12AX7 would be just marvelous. Brent Jessie has them.

charles

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »

love
charles

Charles,
Thanks!
Nick

Nick if a tube I will get you tube required from Audio Hungary. Out of warranty or not. However some NOS Raytheon or RCA 12AX7 would be just marvelous. Brent Jessie has them.

charles

Thanks for the tip, Charles. I will likely upgrade the tube for my Border Patrol dac as well. Gary Dews told me what his favorite tube is for that application.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS