Author Topic: Grover Huffman Cables Group Buy - Round 2  (Read 80342 times)

jrebman

Re: Grover Huffman Cables Group Buy - Round 2
« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2007, 06:14:39 PM »
Carl and all,

Thanks -- got everything I need now (thanks to Bill C. for the info.)

-- Jim

shep

« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2007, 01:22:24 AM »
just sent of some cash to Grover for the upgrade to the latest version (graphite?)
This better be good! I don't want to have to dothis every month...

jrebman

« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2007, 03:19:09 AM »
Shep,

No, you want to tell him you want the silver-carbons.  The graphites were one version back from the current.  The new ones will have a black jacket.

-- Jim

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
I'm confused here. So which is the latest version? It appears to change from month to month. Love to audition a pair but which one and how long will it be before its modified?

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

jrebman

« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2007, 08:04:33 AM »
I guess way back when, there were some black ones, and then the first group buy were the White series, and the second group buy was the next in the "white" series, but was actually in a graphite colored jacket.  The silver carbon is the latest, and the carbon here has to do with the shielding material, and is not related to the color "graphite".  This latest version -- also called SC, I believe -- has a black jacket and is more expensive -- $225 for a 1 meter single-ended pair.

So, latest is SC (for Silver Carbon), black jacket, $225 for 1 meter RCA cable.

Hope that helps.

-- Jim

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2007, 08:25:33 AM »
Thanks Jim. Got it now.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2007, 08:47:25 AM »
I wrote Grover for comfirmation on whatever I'm getting. Sure will be better than the nothing I have!
I thought the original group-buy whites were damn good (system dependant?) so this gotta be the goods.

BillC

« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2007, 03:48:33 PM »
Shep,

I just wanted to confirm the info Jim conveyed (not that any is needed...).  The SC are definitely the latest version and different from the "S" graphite version. 

(The S 'graphite' version was provided by Grover for the second group buy.) 

As Jim noted, they appear to stand for "silver carbon", because Grover is using new & improved carbon-metal shielding. 

Grover seems to have slowed his mod pace now that he perhaps has reached his goal of cable excellence at an extremely competitive price point.  And with his recent patent, I assume he has some business development activites underway.

Click on my gallery icon if you wish to see photos of the latest SC version.

Note: They sound amazing.  A significant step up from the previous S 'graphite" version.  Much blacker background, more audible sound sustain, more mid-range detail emerges due to the quieter background, very fast. Same strong clean bass and high end as before. They image fantastically well.  I anticipate you will be pleased, but reactions to Grover's cables have varied a bit depending on equipment configuration. The SC's (and previous S version) match well and sound great in my analog front end / all tube system.  I will be interested to read your comments. 

Bill C.

shep

« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2007, 01:48:30 PM »
still running in. Nothing more to add. :shock:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2007, 08:10:47 PM »
Thanks BillC, your comments are very helpful.

When I compared the Grover White S directly to JPS SC3 ICs I was amazined at how close these $150 wires were to the $900 competition. In the end the JPS was only marginally better in the "quietness" area. SC3 didn't ring at all and so revealed subtler details in midrange, like emotion, delicacy, stuff like that, which you wouldn't otherwise even think about.  With your comments about SCs making up some ground in that black background area, Grover must be closing in on that level of performance. A little more expensive now with his SCs, but still only 25% of the cheapest of the best of the best. I too am looking forward to hearing them myself.

There was a white with black shrink, which went on tour, but I don't think it was called S. Then came White with white shrink, S. Then the graphites. Since Grover is willing to upgrade, it is a safe investment to ride the upgrades. By this time we know the mods have always been noticeable worthwhile improvements.   I hope he is able to scale up easily and get the word out. A lot of people will love these.
Rich