Author Topic: Three-way speaker idea gone awry.  (Read 10856 times)

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Three-way speaker idea gone awry.
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 12:11:01 PM »
Hello, Rod.

I'm going to piggyback on what Rich just posted. I bought the Adelphos speaker from Meniscus - also designed by Jeff Bagby. [I love the Adelphos speakers and I'm very curious about the Kairos.] It's the 'standard cabinet' version of the Kairos. I was both too intimidated to build the Kairos and disturbed by the slanted front baffle. [I'm passed that disturbed reaction and I have located a reliable cabinet builder.]

Several of the kits at Meniscus were designed by Jeff. I believe all of the kits were first designed by different people, presented at G2Gs such as the MWAF, critiqued by peers, etc. before winding up at Meniscus. I'm going to buy the Mandolin kit for my son later this year.

I began this thread because I thought I wanted a 3-way design, but I've backtracked on that idea. I'm now leaning toward the idea of getting a pair of Kairos with upgraded XO parts.

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 09:53:59 PM »
Hi Guys,

Life in Australia is good Rich.  Still trying to play the trumpet...

Also thanks for the information regarding Meniscus Audio and the recommendation of Jeff Bagby.  I know that Salk Sound has used some of his designs so your recommendation confirms what I thought.

I'll check out his designs and decide whether they suit my needs.  I'm about to build my first diy speakers using an Axon speaker kit designed here in Perth.

Cheers Rod

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 06:21:01 AM »
Life in Australia is good Rich.  Still trying to play the trumpet...

Glad to hear it! I haven't touched mine in at least 3 years. I think I will try to make some noise today!

I didn't know Bagby had worked for Salk. I thought Dennis Murphy did all the Salks. That's cool.

If you have questions about any Bagby designs, he hangs out at techtalk.parts-express.com forum, or on Meniscus's own forum diyspeakerforum.com. He responds to PMs and is very helpful.

You are wise to use a kit for your first speaker project. Do you have a link to your Axon kit? Have fun Rod!! Take lots of pictures for us to oggle!!
Rich

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 08:02:47 AM »
Hi Rich,

I'm practising 5 days a week for an hour or so.  So many charts that I need to get to sound perfectly and usually 2 gigs a month with our band.

Just the one bagby design

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Bagby%20Continuum

I bought the Axon drivers and speakers.  In total I bought 3 tweeters and six drivers and will be building 3 mtm speakers for LCR.

The tweeters and drivers cost me $265usd. 

Once I get my skills up I'll try for more complex and better sounding speakers.

Cheers Rod

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 03:05:12 PM »
Hi Rich,

I'm practising 5 days a week for an hour or so.  So many charts that I need to get to sound perfectly and usually 2 gigs a month with our band.

Just the one bagby design

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Bagby%20Continuum

I bought the Axon drivers and speakers.  In total I bought 3 tweeters and six drivers and will be building 3 mtm speakers for LCR.

The tweeters and drivers cost me $265usd. 

Once I get my skills up I'll try for more complex and better sounding speakers.

Cheers Rod

I'm jealous of your practicing!! Keep it up!

Sounds like a really fun project. Please share with us!

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re:
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 09:20:13 PM »
Scanspeak's new small faceplate Be tweeters are worth checking out, definitely my favorite at the moment.  Only warning, do not solder to the tabs, use the correct connectors instead.