Author Topic: New Member Duos  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Duos

• Seeking Help
New Member Duos
« on: March 12, 2019, 08:53:16 PM »
Ciao everybody. I was always a music lover. Likely due to my Dad who played a lot of classical music and opera--though I did not appreciate classical until decades later. When I was real young in the 1950's, Dad had a mono system with one speaker and this wicked turntable that played both sides of up to 6 LPs automatically without user intervention. I still have it, and it is a mechanical marvel--close to a Rube Goldberg device. About 1963, Dad moved to stereo and had speakers installed in the living room ceiling, like a bachelor pad. But likely done to accommodate Mom’s Baby Grand.

I started purchasing 45's at around 11 yrs old. Around that age I'd sneak in a AM transistor radio to bed to surf stations from Iowa to Boston for hot new songs that I could not get enough of. Once I got to high school I started purchasing LPs which I have yet to stop acquiring. I recall in high school trading a Jan & Dean 45 to a friend for the Kinks 45 of "You Really Got Me." At that time, the songs heavy opening guitar riff was mind blowing, so out of the ordinary from the music popular at that time. So, who got the better of that deal?

I've always gone to live concerts, typically many within a given year. When living in Boston, I was an active techy at a theatre that did 2-3 musicals a year. I could have cared less about musicals until I heard some of them live. During that time I heard all of the live performances and most of the rehearsals. It was at that time I grew a fondness for Sondheim and Cole Porter. Did I tell you that when my Great Aunt was young she'd turn on and off something in Harold Arlen's home (google him) on the sabbath? At the time I lived in Boston there was an amazing quite intimate venue for rock, blues, soul and jazz located in Cambridge. Among many others, I saw Etta James, Tony Williams, Spirit, a short-lived Little Feat incarnation active after Lowell George passed. At one concert I was surprised to look up and notice Bonnie Rait standing next to me. It was that kind of place. And the BSO was not a shabby band to hear live in their magnificent music hall.

In the Bay Area, I worked for a symphony orchestra for 6 years. This mostly but not solely volunteer work, such as writing a (humorous) trivia column for their website that focused on forthcoming concert programs. During that 6 year period I went to at least one concert of every program they performed. Also, went to the SFO and SF Opera. Jazz in that area flourishes as does many other types of music including of course rock and bluegrass and about everything else. In my current location, I've gone to many wonderful chamber music concerts, to a bunch of symphonic concerts including some quite avantgarde-ish gigs, and to see local rock groups, more or less blues and Americana music performed by outstanding players, some known professionals.

I enjoy rock music mostly from the 1950's-70's. Also, lots of folk music, some world music including Indian classical and Brazilian from the samba/bossa nova period, soul and blues primarily from the 1950s-early 1970s, and jazz. I was lucky to see many of the known rock bands from the mid to late 1960s/early 1970s. And where I lived in the Bay area many of those rock acts, and other well-known superlative musicians, live and still perform. And oh yeah, I went to Woodstock and actually remember some of my experiences.

My audio system has been mostly dormant subsequent moving from CA to the northeast some yrs ago. Sold my big Basis turntable and my wonderful Avantgarde Duos as there was no suitable way to move the speakers cross country. What I currently own is a hodge-podge of components acquired over many years that were not intended to work together.

I have found some deals on several classic used speakers in my new location--deals that I could not refuse. Will have to determine if any are long-term keepers and fiddle with the rest of the system, acquiring some components in order to create a synergistic system that floats my boat. Hoping to commence rebuilding my system soon.
Hodge-Podge of Components
Turntables: Rega P3 - Basis Audio 2001 for mono LPs
Preamps: Melos 222B - Red Rose Silver 3A - CAT Ultimate II
Amps: Fisher KX-200 - Red Rose Reference 1 monoblocks
Speakers: KEF 107 - Klipsch Heresy - Altec Valencia - Bozak 302

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: New Member Duos
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 10:06:44 PM »
Welcome! Hmmm, a Rube Goldberg TT....would love to see a pic of a device that does multiple LPs. As to the Kinks 45, I think you got the edge in that one. You mentioned musicals and I had zero interest in ever seeing one, until I became friends with a guy who did community theater. Well, I was coerced into seeing “Kiss Me Kate” and I loved it. I was in my early 20s at the time. Sad about selling your Basis (I have one) and those Avantegarde Duos. But this is a great opportunity for an audiophile.  So pls keep us posted on your progress as you rebuild your system
Nick B
Administrator
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:44:05 AM »
Welcome, Duos! You have quite a music affiliated background! Very cool!

I remember seeing Little Feat (with founder Lowell George) at Siena College in upstate NY... they had just released "Waiting for Columbus", a fantastically recorded live album!

Enjoy & have fun here!

Pete

www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Duos

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 11:03:48 AM »
Thank you Nick and Triode Pete for your welcome. Much appreciated.

Nick: Your experience with musicals certainly mirrors mine. I've found that some more esoteric forms of music such as musicals and opera that seem boring old-school stuff can be quite moving when experienced in live performances. Your "Kiss Me Kate" is a Cole Porter work, with a glimpse of several of his timeless songs. Nice. My 1st Basis turntable was your Basis Ovation. It is a seriously excellent turntable. And one over 30 years after it was released, Basis Audio not only still supports but also offers upgrades. That's exceptional customer support. Nick, there are several youtube videos of the Rube Goldberg 'table I have, these made by other owners of the same turntable. I'll search for one and post a link in this thread.

Triode Pete: Wow, Little Feat with Lowell still in the band! What a magical gig that must have been. "Waiting for Columbus" remains one of my favorite albums too. I've never been to Siena College, but I am aware that the area it is in, greater Albany, NY, is rich in live music of many types especially in the summer. And home to one of the sonically best music halls in the country. That being the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall. Your Volti modified Klipschorns must be magical music makers. After experiencing my little Heresys I am a big fan of heritage Klipsch speakers.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:07:57 AM by Duos »

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 03:44:15 PM »
Thank you Nick and Triode Pete for your welcome. Much appreciated.

Triode Pete: Wow, Little Feat with Lowell still in the band! What a magical gig that must have been. "Waiting for Columbus" remains one of my favorite albums too. I've never been to Siena College, but I am aware that the area it is in, greater Albany, NY, is rich in live music of many types especially in the summer. And home to one of the sonically best music halls in the country. That being the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall. Your Volti modified Klipschorns must be magical music makers. After experiencing my little Heresys I am a big fan of heritage Klipsch speakers.

Yes, what I remember, a great concert!

I also attended a couple concerts at the famous Troy Savings Bank Music Hall... Incredible acoustics... every seat, incredible... attended a small classical quartet as well as a small local jazz trio... no need for amplification in this hall!

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Duos

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 06:54:11 PM »
Pete, fab photos of the Troy Savings Bank hall. I see it has been beautifully renovated since I saw a concert there. Thanks!

Per my antique record player mentioned in my post, it is a Markel record player. Capable of playing 45s, 33s, and 78s. My recollection is it can play both sides of up to 6 records without any user intervention. But, I've read it is capable of up to 10 albums.  The Markel has a double sided cartridge, one stylus facing up and one down. When in automatic mode, the underside of a record plays first using the facing up stylus, then the record drops onto the platter and the top side of the record plays (ala the side that modern turntables play) with the facing down stylus. Should additional albums be stacked, playing of the next record then proceeds in a similar manner.

There are a couple of youtube videos that show Markels in action. Not the best videos but they show this marvel in action. If interested, see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3NHYJwjAbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jF2q6Puo10

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 10:10:44 AM »
Duos, howdy.  The love of music is something we all share and you bring a unique perspective!

Cool. :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe