Author Topic: PecanPi -- Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer  (Read 11254 times)

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
  • How do you like them apples?
    • Orchard Audio
Re: PecanPi -- Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 05:22:38 PM »
Hello, Leo.

Your PecanPi streamer looks interesting. Is it shipping or still in pre-order status?

Is it wifi or Bluetooth capable?

Regards,

Michael
It is Wi-Fi capable. It will be in pre-order status till mid may. All pre-orders will ship between June and August.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 03:44:41 PM »
When I first read about Orchard Audio's PecanPi Streamer, it intrigued me because it was very much what I was looking for to ultimately replace (and improve on) a couple of old Squeezeboxes I've been using as Roon endpoints in my home.    In a single small box, the PecanPi Streamer functions as a Roon endpoint, a high quality DAC, a headphone amp and can operate via ethernet or wireless.

Well, after 10 days of listening, I was quite impressed.  Based on the excellent PecanPi DAC specs, I was pretty confident that it would prove a good bit better than my Squeezebox Touch and it did.  No contest.  Throughout my listening, the PecanPi presentation was laden with immense detail, clarity and depth of soundstage. It’s also nice to know that there is a top-quality Squeezebox replacement in a single box. (For me, Roon replaced LMS over 3 years ago when Roon started supporting Squeezeboxen as endpoints).

I’ve also used a couple more upscale approaches to streaming Roon via their RAAT protocol to improve sound quality whether it be to headphones or speakers in my office. To do so included a Roon endpoint - a Sonore microRendu - along with either an iFi Micro iDSD DAC/Amp or a Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC . The PecanPi Streamer stood up to these amazingly well, and, often nudged ahead sonically. (caveat: my music, my gear, my 66+ year-old ears :wink: But being able to do so at this pricepoint all within a single box makes the PecanPi a uniquely compelling product IMHO (even moreso if you go the DIY kit way).

The iFi Micro iDSD has been my go-to kit for headphone listening over the last couple years.  Generally, I use it via a Sonore microRendu Roon endpoint, but I also just use it with my iPhone for portability.  Perhaps these combos are not top-of-the-line, but to these ears, it provides an immersive soundstage with dead quiet background and excellent separation between voices and instruments - a sound quality I’ve come to know and love. The PecanPi proved to be equally engaging yet with a few notable differences… Foremost, the PecanPi conveyed greater detail & clarity with a highly neutral tonal presentation.  The iFi iDSD leaned a bit to the warmer, richer side and that works well with my Tin Audio T3 IEMs (IEMs known for their neutrality), but the PecanPi was a wonderful match for my Senn HD650 headphones - not surprising given that the HD650s tend to lean a bit toward the warmer side while enabling all the detail and clarity provided by the PecanPi to shine through. Often, the PecanPi seemed to be revealing more of what was going on in the music - fingers on bass strings, piano note decay, hall ambience, etc… With good recordings, this proved quite mesmerizing, but on lesser quality recordings, not surprisingly, it could turn edgy.   The price of detail, clarity and neutrality... not all recordings are created equal.

Comparing the Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC was a bit of apples to oranges since I used an external headphone amp as well when not listening via powered speakers. I also did some of my listening with the Bifrost fed via USB from my computer as well as via the microRendu. But in all cases, the results were similar - the Schiit, like the iFi, presented a more relaxed yet engaging presentation whereas the PecanPi conveyed a more neutral, highly detailed soundstage that, with well recorded music, was an engaging and immersive musical treat.

Bottom line, I really enjoyed time with the PecanPi Streamer. The exceptional sound quality is all about the high quality of the PecanPi DAC, no doubt. If you love clarity and detail, this seems a no-brainer. The ability to have a top-quality DAC and Roon endpoint in one small box, the ability to use wireless, and a high-quality volume control all make the Streamer a pretty awesome bang-for-the-buck product.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 05:29:58 PM »
Great review, Mike!   :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 05:44:54 AM »
Another great review:
https://theaudiophileman.com/pecanpi-dac-streamer-review-orchard-audio/

"The PecanPi sits within an attractive price point and at that price it offers plenty: impressive sonic abilities being top of the list. Specifically, an attractive blend of dynamic force, rich imagery and layered detail. A bit of a bargain, then."

and

"I then played Looking for a Home, two guys and two guitars or, more accurately, Kevin Greeninger & Dayan Kai at 24bit/192kHz. The string manipulation from the guitars was impressive as was the silence sitting behind the pair: the contrast set up a soundstage heavy with emotion from this serious song. The sense of clarity was also excellent as the PecanPi took advantage of the superior sound source file while the imagery that set the singers and their instruments on the soundstage was excellent. Even the bass-infused foot stomps from the guys, keeping a beat, were easily heard here. The sense of tonal balance allowed me to increase the gain without having my ears bitten off."

and

"If anything, DSD output (despite the non-native processing) was the most impressive file output across the entire sound test as inherent noise was very low. Small and subtle details were able to flow easily from the rear of the mix and the 3D structure around the stereo image added layers and a busy, almost market square feel to the song which seemed packed with people and instruments. A party atmosphere, if you will. Harmonicas here, acoustic guitars there, an accordion, mandolin, 57 varieties of percussion but throughout the PecanPi allowed this detail to reach the ear unimpeded."

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 06:54:45 AM »
Due to popular demand preorder pricing has been extended till May 31st.

PecanPi™ Streamer -- 399.99 -- 20% off 
The Streamer is a fully assembled and ready to go out of the box. Just plug it in, and enjoy.
https://orchardaudio.com/shop?olsPag...s%2Fpcnp-strmr

PecanPi™ DAC -- 224.99 -- 25% off 
Like the DIY approach? Then this is for you.
https://orchardaudio.com/shop?olsPage=products/pcnp-dac

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 02:55:51 AM »
The PecanPi Streamer continues to amaze. Read latest review from The Audio Beatnik here:
https://theaudiobeatnik.com/reviewing-orchard-audios-new-pecanpi-streamer-and-dac/

mauidan

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 08:34:11 AM »
Do you sell the PecanPi Streamer without the DAC?

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 08:36:44 AM »

With out the DAC it is just a raspberry Pi.

mauidan

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 09:49:59 AM »

With out the DAC it is just a raspberry Pi.

I don't see the raspberry Pi on your website.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2019, 11:25:15 AM »
The PecanPi Streamer includes both the PecanPi DAC and the Raspberry Pi along with case, volume control, OS, etc...   The Streamer is ready to go pretty much right out of the box.   But you can buy the PecanPi DAC separately and build a streamer with your own rPi.

mauidan

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 11:46:36 AM »
The PecanPi Streamer includes both the PecanPi DAC and the Raspberry Pi along with case, volume control, OS, etc...   The Streamer is ready to go pretty much right out of the box.   But you can buy the PecanPi DAC separately and build a streamer with your own rPi.

I know what the PecanPi Streamer includes, I read the review.

Maybe you didn't read my posts. I'm not interested in the DAC and the Raspberry Pi is not shown on the website.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 01:00:27 PM »
Sorry if I misunderstood.   I doubt Leo is interested in selling just Raspberry PIs... but they are readily available including on Amazon.   Or is it the rPI and PecanPi case you're looking for?

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 06:36:43 PM »

I know what the PecanPi Streamer includes, I read the review.

Maybe you didn't read my posts. I'm not interested in the DAC and the Raspberry Pi is not shown on the website.

What are you trying to accomplish, if you are looking for something custom I could potentially make it outside of what is available on the website.

It does not make sense for me to just sell you a Rpi as stated above.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 06:47:07 PM »
Dan, The Raspberry Pi is not an Orchard Audio product. It is a line of small single board computers and accessories that can be purchased for most retail computer outlets.

Here is a link to the MicroCenter web page for Raspberry Pi products.

https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=Raspberry+Pi
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables