Author Topic: Ripping CD to Server  (Read 5769 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Ripping CD to Server
« on: February 26, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »
   FLAC or WAV is the question. Which has better sound for PCM ripping.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: Ripping CD to Server
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 10:08:23 AM »
AIFF!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 11:59:36 AM »
I use AIFF because of the superior metadata manipulation over other formats.

WAV is argueably better sounding, but the differences are very slight.  AIFF is basically a container for what is a PCM file that allows for additional data to be encoded for art, filing, etc.

FLAC sucks.  Lossless compression is an oxymoron at best.  Anytime a bit or byte is manipulated quality is lost.  There is no free lunch especially in a format that is as fragile as digital audio.

Apple Lossless also sucks.

FLAC audio is a tad hazy and flat sounding compared to WAV or AIFF formats.  Transients lose some impact compared to WAV or AIFF.

There was a time when storage cam at a premium. I remember how much my first WD HDD cost for 200Megs.  It isn't that way any more.  When TB are available for next to nothing (in audio terms) it is misdirected to do ANY compression whatsoever.  I have 6TB of audio data here.  This includes redundancy for backup.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:01:36 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 03:14:08 PM »

WAV is argueably better sounding, but the differences are very slight.  AIFF is basically a container for what is a PCM file that allows for additional data to be encoded for art, filing, etc.

FLAC sucks.  Lossless compression is an oxymoron at best.  Anytime a bit or byte is manipulated quality is lost.  There is no free lunch especially in a format that is as fragile as digital audio.

FLAC audio is a tad hazy and flat sounding compared to WAV or AIFF formats.  Transients lose some impact compared to WAV or AIFF.

There was a time when storage cam at a premium. I remember how much my first WD HDD cost for 200Megs.  It isn't that way any more.  When TB are available for next to nothing (in audio terms) it is misdirected to do ANY compression whatsoever.  I have 6TB of audio data here.  This includes redundancy for backup.

Happy Belated Birthday, Dave!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 06:35:08 PM »

Happy Belated Birthday, Dave!
Damn.  59 again... or not.  Thanks Pete.  You are one of my joys!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 12:48:58 PM »
  Thanks Dave. Using WAV with no regrets. Hope you received my Birthday message. 59 eh , thought so. :lol:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 10:11:50 AM »
 :rofl:
  Thanks Dave. Using WAV with no regrets. Hope you received my Birthday message. 59 eh , thought so. :lol:

charles

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 10:37:37 AM »
Been a while - good to see the inmates are still here.....

WAV is it now that storage is so cheap.
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 08:01:38 AM »
Charles, just rip to FLAC. FLAC and WAV are the same thing, and will sound exactly the same. FLAC give you the ability to add metadata (music tags) to the the songs, it is made for streaming so you can use seek functions without error, it is also the defacto standard as well as free to use.

AIFF is another uncompressed format just like WAV so the files sizes are just as large and was developed by apple but has since been made free like FLAC. It doesn't fully support streaming but seems to work most times. It does support tagging. If you primarily use apple products then you can use that, but I can't see another reason to use it with FLAC so much the standard at this point.

The idea that FLAC is someone how less fidelity than WAV is really just a lack of understanding of the FLAC format. It is a the exact WAV file in a transportable and streamable compressed file (think zip files). The sound file is not compressed in anyway like MP3 just the file is smaller. When the player gets the FLAC file it retrieves the uncompressed WAV and plays that. Meaning a WAV file and it's FLAC counterpart when played by the music player are the exact same file. So yeah it will always sound the same.

In the end it's your choice, as long as you don't use a compressed music format like pus, MP3, Vorbis, Musepack, AAC, ATRAC and WMZ and stick to any uncompressed music formats like FLAC, ALAC, and even AIFF or WAV you will be fine.
-Joe
Von Schweikert Speakers/Seismic Isolation Podiums
W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp/SST SOA2 Amp
Roon Core i7NUC/Synology 52TB NAS
Matrix X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC/Pi4 Ropieee
Pass Labs X-17 Phono/OL Resolution MK4 TT/Conqueror MK3c/Kiseki PH
Equi=core 1800 Balance