Author Topic: new member Tam Lin  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
new member Tam Lin
« on: February 12, 2018, 02:37:02 PM »
We have a new member, Tam Lin. Please extend a warm welcome!
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: new member Tam Lin
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 06:18:34 PM »
Always good to welcome a new member.
Hope you enjoy yourself at a great site.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline dBe

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:25:08 PM »
Welcome aboard, Tam!

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:43:24 AM »
Welcome aboard Tam.

steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Tam Lin

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:37:59 PM »
Music was always a part of my life. All the kids in my family were required to study piano for a year. After my year at the keyboard, I studied violin for two years. I then took up folk guitar and 5-string banjo.

The family audio system was a Grundig console radio and a Gerard record changer. After I graduated high school, I moved out, got a job, and was able to afford a slightly better class of audio from the used equipment shelves in the local audio store, and later, Heathkit and Dynakit. I also made a couple of big speakers using JBL components. I like the dynamics of horn speakers.

Then I discovered my true calling: computers. I got a programming job that paid real money, which allowed me to dive into the high-end pool. My first real audio system was Magnapan, Spectral, and Linn. That was before the audio world was subjected to “Perfect Sound, Forever.” I didn’t like the sound of the first, second or third generation digital audio but what could I do? Because a lot of the music I wanted was only available on CD, I had to go digital and I got a Wadia DAC and a Sony CDP.

Fast-forward a dozen years when I got a windfall and upgraded to Avantgarde Trios with a Hovland HP-100, Art Audio Jota monoblocks and SME 30 with SME IV-Vi arm. At the time, I auditioned the crème de la crème of digital gear but nothing sounded better than my Wadia. What’s more, after a dozen years working with the best and brightest in Silicon Valley, I acquired some understanding of good digital system design. The high-end gear I auditioned was over-priced, poorly designed, ill-sounding crap.

Fast-forward to 2018. My audio system is showing its age. The pre and amps are in need of referb but the respective makers are out of business. In addition, 32B output tubes are hard to find. It’s time for another total system update.

However, here’s the problem. I’ve been out of the high-end scene for over 15 years but I’ve spent the last few months trying to get caught up. I read equipment reviews in the magazine and on the web and then seek out the items that I might like based on the reviews, but what I hear does not match what I read. Maybe the meaning the words have changed in a “Through the Looking Glass” kind of way. On the other hand, maybe the sound today’s audiophiles prefer is nothing like the sound of the real acoustic instruments I have played my whole life.

Do audiophiles even know what real acoustic instruments sound like? I went to RMAF some years ago where they had a concert given by a popular singer-pianist accompanied by bass and drums. It was billed as a way for RMAF attendees to calibrate their hearing to the sound of the “real thing” to better judge the sound of the equipment in the exhibitor’s rooms. I got there early and picked a seat close to the stage. I’ve done some preforming myself and I know what a live, singer with acoustic piano, bass and drums sounds like. Before the show started someone tapped my on the shoulder and said I should move further back because it was going to be loud. I heeded the advice and as I walked to the back of the room I noticed most of the attendees were wearing earplugs! Then the show started and it was LOUD! Maybe the next time I audition high-end equipment I should wear earplugs.

Jon Bokelman

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 02:24:49 PM »
Music was always a part of my life. All the kids in my family were required to study piano for a year. After my year at the keyboard, I studied violin for two years. I then took up folk guitar and 5-string banjo.

The family audio system was a Grundig console radio and a Gerard record changer. After I graduated high school, I moved out, got a job, and was able to afford a slightly better class of audio from the used equipment shelves in the local audio store, and later, Heathkit and Dynakit. I also made a couple of big speakers using JBL components. I like the dynamics of horn speakers.

Then I discovered my true calling: computers. I got a programming job that paid real money, which allowed me to dive into the high-end pool. My first real audio system was Magnapan, Spectral, and Linn. That was before the audio world was subjected to “Perfect Sound, Forever.” I didn’t like the sound of the first, second or third generation digital audio but what could I do? Because a lot of the music I wanted was only available on CD, I had to go digital and I got a Wadia DAC and a Sony CDP.

Fast-forward a dozen years when I got a windfall and upgraded to Avantgarde Trios with a Hovland HP-100, Art Audio Jota monoblocks and SME 30 with SME IV-Vi arm. At the time, I auditioned the crème de la crème of digital gear but nothing sounded better than my Wadia. What’s more, after a dozen years working with the best and brightest in Silicon Valley, I acquired some understanding of good digital system design. The high-end gear I auditioned was over-priced, poorly designed, ill-sounding crap.

Fast-forward to 2018. My audio system is showing its age. The pre and amps are in need of referb but the respective makers are out of business. In addition, 32B output tubes are hard to find. It’s time for another total system update.

However, here’s the problem. I’ve been out of the high-end scene for over 15 years but I’ve spent the last few months trying to get caught up. I read equipment reviews in the magazine and on the web and then seek out the items that I might like based on the reviews, but what I hear does not match what I read. Maybe the meaning the words have changed in a “Through the Looking Glass” kind of way. On the other hand, maybe the sound today’s audiophiles prefer is nothing like the sound of the real acoustic instruments I have played my whole life.

Do audiophiles even know what real acoustic instruments sound like? I went to RMAF some years ago where they had a concert given by a popular singer-pianist accompanied by bass and drums. It was billed as a way for RMAF attendees to calibrate their hearing to the sound of the “real thing” to better judge the sound of the equipment in the exhibitor’s rooms. I got there early and picked a seat close to the stage. I’ve done some preforming myself and I know what a live, singer with acoustic piano, bass and drums sounds like. Before the show started someone tapped my on the shoulder and said I should move further back because it was going to be loud. I heeded the advice and as I walked to the back of the room I noticed most of the attendees were wearing earplugs! Then the show started and it was LOUD! Maybe the next time I audition high-end equipment I should wear earplugs.

Welcome again and great post. You being a musician and having that background is not something I can relate to. Certainly the limited live performances I’ve been to can sound wonderful, warm and tube like. But they don’t offer the detail, soundstage and air of the artificial home environment I’m used to.

So rather than pursue what I’m really not familiar with, I gravitate toward that which I simply like and enjoy. I recently sold my two way speakers that provided great dynamics and had a “presence “ that I
miss. Auditioning a full range single driver recently left me wanting a bit more and that single driver most likely fit the bill of providing a more “natural” presentation. At least thats what I speculate.

There are a lot  of sharp guys here whose opinions I find very valuable and informative. They may be quite beneficial to you as well. I hope you enjoy the forum and look forward to more of your oosts.
Nick

Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »
Hello, Tam.

Welcome to AN.

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline dBe

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 08:48:53 PM »
Tam, welcome!

I read our post twice and sat here nodding twice in appreciation.

Without the real world reference of live performance where do we go to seek "right"?  Not 'accurate' because that is an unattainable goal in recorded music.  Again, if the only POV is a (C)rap concert what the heck is a person going to take away from that as reality in reproduction?  I order to fully appreciate what an excellent system does we have to know what a piano, guitar, harp, horn section, human voice sounds like in close proximity.  So much of today's recording is squashed, processed, under moved and 'fixed in the mix' that it removes the humanity from from the performance.  Musicality has been usurped by detail and squeeky clean.

I think that there are a bunch of people here that feel pretty much like you do.  You'll be a good fit and I look forward to seeing a lot more from you. 

Welcome aboard.

Offline Tam Lin

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 07:12:13 AM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I think I'm going to like it here.
Jon Bokelman

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 08:30:11 AM »
Tam, I like the way you think.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 12:32:24 PM »
Tam could not agree more. Welcome. We can help you out no problem. Horns eh, A single driver fan here. Lamm ML2 one day.

charles
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:43:14 PM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 01:06:04 PM »
Hi Tam!

Welcome! Horns Rule! (& so do tubes)!

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 10:56:20 PM »
Hello, Tam. And welcome to Audio Nervosa!

Paul