Author Topic: Favorite SET Amp and Why  (Read 12341 times)

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
Re: Favorite SET Amp and Why
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 06:37:06 AM »
Hugh,
I thought you had parallel 2a3 integrated also or am I thinking about parallel 2a3?

D,

Yes, we do have the AB22 which is an integrated 2A3.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 10:01:57 AM »
Charlie,

If I remember correctly I believe you are Rethm dealer, if yes why not take a look at their tube amp as one of the option which is based around 6c33 with 6922 in preamp section?  According to Rethm website it is called Gaanam.

Thanks and a wonderful integrated amp which I rep as well.  Looking for mono blocks.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2017, 10:04:47 AM »
charles, sometimes it's not just about money.  i really like the almarro a205a mkii and the audio mirror 6c33c based mono blocks.  even if money were no object.  they are both just damned nice sounding amps.  i know the folks at 6 moons favorably compared the a205a/a205a mkii's w/the yamamoto a-08, fwiw.  i'd also consider the almarro 6c33c-based a318b, even tho i have never heard it, cuz it also gets great reviews, and i like that tube in my audio mirrors.  when my audio mirrors were swapped out with rim's modded asl hurricanes driving his vmps rm40's above 280hz, they were at least as good, imo.  and both the audio mirror's and the almarro sounded fantastic driving the 97db/1w efficient 14 ohm rated coincident victory's i used to own.

other things to consider are that the 6c33c tube amps can double as space heaters in the winter; not such a nice feature in the summer.  ;)  and w/more power, they may be more versatile than something like the 5wpc a205a mkii.  but, with the rethms, 5wpc should be more than enough, especially w/the rethm's active low end.

other amps that i'd really want to try are antique sound labs, ming da, radii audio; that use the 805, 845, or 811 tubes.  i haven't the time or money to hear them all, but they all get good comments, and they all tick the boxes important to me regarding power, distortion figures and less than ridiculous prices.  here's another example, besides those audio mirror amps on audio circle:
http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649371134-antique-sound-labs-1006845-dt-custom-mono-bloc-amplifiers-with-upgrades/

and new:

(300b's, but not output tubes):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361537068450

www.ebay.com/itm/171945264275

and just one comment about some of these amps with built-in "preamp" volume controls, like my almarro a205a mkii.  i never use it that way, it's always used as an amp; preamp plugged into one of its sources, and its volume pot max'd out.  which means its preamp circuitry is pretty-much gone from having a sonic imprint.

doug s.
  Looking at Decware Zen mono blocks. I like the 6C33C used in the Lamm but 37K, later. I have a 211 based  [18W/ch]Consonance all custom SET hanging out. I will of course try that first. RCA 211s and GE 211s on hand.
The Rethms are 102db so 1.5W and up. I like Yamamoto, Shindo as well. So many to choose from it can be confusing. Hugh what you got man in SET. Bill can ya make one ?
For the bang for the buckaroonie it appears Decware is untouchable. Just never heard one. Thanks to all who have helped so far. Doug if money was NOT an issue which one would you recco ?

charles

Doug thanks again for the informative post. Money does not make better. Better is just better regardless of price. Thats why Decware looks so interesting. Audio Mirror as well.

charles

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 10:09:02 AM »
CHARLIE,
If money is no object how about having Slagle build you  a pair of amps using his transformers, maybe go for silver, oh my!

Mike it is but I thought I would just ask anyway. Throwing money at things as you well know does not always cure the ills. Really how much better could the Lamm be against the Decware ? 15X better, I doubt it. But but if it is purer tonality and harmonic structure and the money is not an issue then I would go for it. It is always the money, isnt it with everything.

charles

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2017, 12:16:31 PM »
Can u return the decware if you don't like it?

It seems the decware is held in high regard by the decware fanboys, that doesn't mean it is not good, but sometimes we have to take things with a grain of salt. 
We all know what I mean...........be a shrewd shopper
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2017, 08:59:34 PM »
Honestly charlie if those chinese consanence amps work out keep em, because those speakers will need some really good amps to shine, and really good set will cost you coin, because set is all about those transformers, and good transformers cost. Its the price you have to pay to be a member of the SET club.

Maybe ask Mark,  the Rethym rep from Well Pleased Audio if he could hook you up with people he sold those speakers to and what they are using, since he is the importer he should know very well what works, since no one here in the US would have more experience with those speakers than him..
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 11:13:57 AM »
Honestly charlie if those chinese consanence amps work out keep em, because those speakers will need some really good amps to shine, and really good set will cost you coin, because set is all about those transformers, and good transformers cost. Its the price you have to pay to be a member of the SET club.

Maybe ask Mark,  the Rethym rep from Well Pleased Audio if he could hook you up with people he sold those speakers to and what they are using, since he is the importer he should know very well what works, since no one here in the US would have more experience with those speakers than him..

Mike just asking around. I have a plan. I know what works with them was just curious what others have used tube wise. Meaning 2A3, 50,45,211 300B, etc.
   I will either own the Lamm or Berning ZOTL 10W. We will be showing Rethm and Linear Tube Audio at the NY show. However wanted to try different amps. My Consonance amps work fine. That is what I'll be using at first. After the 500 hour break-in then we will try others.
   Fi works real well, Air Tight another. The Lamm IMHO is King but 37K list. We will try as many as possible. I started out with single driver and SET. Strayed to planars, Line Source all VG but I just miss the SET/Single driver combo.
   Now that I found a speaker that goes down to 18HZ in one box I'm in. That was why I strayed. Most single driver speakers do not go low enough for me. I just do not want outboard subs, crossovers and the like to deal with anymore. Keep it simple.

charles

charles

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 08:15:15 PM »
Charlie,
You might like these..Lamhorns..I almost bought a pair...very very good and great bass, and very simple no subwoofers with plate amps inside, especially for the music you like.

You probably can't get a discount like the rethyms, but maybe a used pair?

I heard them with 300b's and they sounded great :thumb: and made here in the US!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2017, 07:00:19 AM »
Charlie,
You might like these..Lamhorns..I almost bought a pair...very very good and great bass, and very simple no subwoofers with plate amps inside, especially for the music you like.

I heard them with 300b's and they sounded great :thumb: and made here in the US!

Mike my quest for the SET amp is for the Rethm Saadhana speaker. Two reasons first Rollo Audio will be the dealer for the east coast. Second my first love is SET/High Sensitivity speaker. Love planars as well but not as much, so the change.
   Trying to kill two birds with one stone. I own a 211 based SET, heard 300B,50,101,45,2A3 SET amps. Just not sure which tube I prefer. The Saadhana is 102Db, 18HZ to 20KHZ. Needs only 1.5W to boot.
     We will be doing the NY and CAF with Linear Tube Audio and Rethm. However my quest again is two fold the ultimate choice in synergy for my personal listening and then for sales. I refuse to settle on any audio component just because I sell them or get trade discounts. I try to have components on hand that I actually use and can easily recommend.
     The top choices so far are Border Patrol,Rethm, Lamm, Berning, Yamamoto, Melody, Decware. Lots to choose from and that is my issue right now. The search continues. Thanks for the input.

charles

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2017, 03:50:02 PM »
Charlie,

Mike my quest for the SET amp is for the Rethm Saadhana speaker. Two reasons first Rollo Audio will be the dealer for the east coast. Second my first love is SET/High Sensitivity speaker. Love planars as well but not as much, so the change.
   Trying to kill two birds with one stone. I own a 211 based SET, heard 300B,50,101,45,2A3 SET amps. Just not sure which tube I prefer. The Saadhana is 102Db, 18HZ to 20KHZ. Needs only 1.5W to boot.
     We will be doing the NY and CAF with Linear Tube Audio and Rethm. However my quest again is two fold the ultimate choice in synergy for my personal listening and then for sales. I refuse to settle on any audio component just because I sell them or get trade discounts. I try to have components on hand that I actually use and can easily recommend.
     The top choices so far are Border Patrol,Rethm, Lamm, Berning, Yamamoto, Melody, Decware. Lots to choose from and that is my issue right now. The search continues. Thanks for the input.

charles

Well Charles,

You can be our East Coast Dealer if You so choose. 8)
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »
      Ya never know. Hugh are you doing the NY show ??

charles