Author Topic: Need suggestions re router and automatic backup devices  (Read 8337 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Need suggestions re router and automatic backup devices
« on: September 19, 2016, 08:57:25 AM »
My old linksys router needs to be replaced. It's only a 2.4 with "g" capability. We have 2 smart uhd  TVs, a kbox/mbox, a couple of iPads, laptops, Aries mini etc. Nearly all the devices are Apple. I'd like to get a good router that I'll have for at least 10 years and it's probably a good idea to do automatic wireless backup as well.

I bought a Netgear AC 1750, but it has the USB 3 port on the front. I don't care for any ports on the front. I checked with Apple and a Time Capsule combo router wireless storage device might do the trick. But it only has a USB 2 and appears a bit outdated in features and capability compared to other routers. I looked at a WD My Cloud and the ratings are ok.  If I use a non Apple auto backup device, would it be able to work with the Apple ecosystem? Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

djdube525

Re: Need suggestions re router and automatic backup devices
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 03:30:42 PM »
A couple things to consider...

It's very easy to buy "up" in wireless router capabilities even when end "typical" end devices can't take advantage of (ex: MIMO).

I recently purchased the ASUS RT-AC68U and have been very happy with it.  USB 3.0 port is on the back - I currently have a small SSD hanging off it, which I can access from anywhere through ASUS's mobile app or via the web. One of the purposes was to backup iPhones and photos there, reducing the need for an upgraded iCloud account, but I've been a bit lazy getting that set up.

If you go the ASUS route, I strongly recommend updating the router with the Merlin 3rd party firmware (it's actually built/layered on-top of ASUS's firmware - different approach than DDWRT, Tomato and others).

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

One "downside" of the 68U... it sits "Up" which may not be visually appealing. If you purchase the rt-ac68u, check out the "white" model (68W). It typically is a few ($10-$15) cheaper than the black model.

DLINK's 880-L and Netgear 7000 are comparable. The Linksys WRT1900ACS is another interesting option... especially if you like the old style format.

If you're not in an immediate hurry, I'd look at camelcamelcamel, and set up a notification when the router of your choice hit's your desired price point. All of the ones listed above have dropped down considerably over the last 6 months.

Hope that helps!

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 11:17:50 PM »
Yes, that helps a lot. I've only been looking at the Asus right now, especially the RT AC 87U as it sits flat. I also really like the Merlin software. Having that information available would be a big benefit.

As to an external drive that would automatically do backups, would that not need to have specific capabilities to do that? I'd like to backup multiple devices. It would need to have software to prompt me what devices I want backed up and what data on each device, correct?
I am ready to buy, but I'll bookmark that helpful search feature.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

djdube525

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 03:23:30 AM »
I believe Merlin's developer owns a 87u as their personal device, so not a bad one to go with - you know he'll address any issues. I almost went with the 87u, but at the time was nearly $100 more than it is now, and I didn't have any devices that could leverage some of the added capabilities (MU-MIMO)

What devices are you looking to backup? MacBook(s) with TimeMachine?

The drive hanging off the router will look like any other network drive to your computer once you have that setup.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:29:22 AM by djdube525 »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 11:42:44 AM »
Amazon has a good price of $177 for the 87U. Our house is near 1700 sq ft and we may be downsizing at some point. The devices will be a MacBook Air, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, an Ooma voip telephone, a Kbox, an Aries Mini, 2 Samsung Smart UHD TVs and soon a Mac desktop.

I would like to use the Time Machine program, but if other devices could handle the wireless automatic backup in a different manner, I'd be open to that. I've looked at the Apple website a bit at other storage devices and am trying to understand the capabilities. USB 3.0 is a must
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:50:17 PM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 01:37:30 PM »
I purchased the ASUS 87U router and overall it works quite well. I still am having trouble getting the Ooma telephone device and the Auralic Mini to connect. Also, I cannot open the Merlin software as it has a .trx extension. I've looked online to download the appropriate program and it appears Microsoft Visual is the one to use, but there appear to be different types.   
Can anyone confirm what is the correct program to use and the best site to use?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS