Poll

What type and speed of internet service do you have?

DSL
5 (26.3%)
Cable
8 (42.1%)
Fiber
6 (31.6%)
Cellular
0 (0%)
WiFi
0 (0%)
Modem
0 (0%)
Smoke signals
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Is your Internet Service good enough?  (Read 14642 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Is your Internet Service good enough?
« on: July 03, 2016, 05:10:53 PM »
I have DSL 3Mbps for my WAN which rarely exceeds 2Mbps. With 3 teenagers we could stand a bit faster link.

Also have 14GB/mo of 4G (tethered) on each cellphone. It's about 5-10Mbps. Kids chew through their own 14Gb in a couple weeks with gaming.

Wife likes online movies, but HD is impossible. She wants a big flat screen before football so the HD streaming issue will come to the fore. If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy.

The reason I ask is AT&T is installing fiber on my street for ATT Gigapower service. I have DirecTV and POTS from them already so I'm prime target.

Should I be getting excited about 1Gbps?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Is your Internet Service good enough?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 06:00:39 PM »
I'm using Time-Warner cable.  They are a pain to work with and I hate that I need to call "retention" services to get my bill adjusted each year when it goes back up.   But I will say their internet service here has taken a very nice step up of late.  

When I called them recently to readjust my bill, they not only did so, but also threw in a bump up to their highest level of internet service 300 down/20 up.  I suspect it's because they know that the newest kid in town - Google Fiber - is about to kick their butt.   

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 08:33:19 PM »
Good ole Vermont Fairpoint DSL which tops out at a miniscule 1.5Mbps,, works for streaming music but as far as streaming movies, forget about it. Fairpoint DSL turns my smart Panasonic tv into a friggen retard plasma. But considering there are still parts of Vermont that still only have dial up broadband, I suppose I should be happy with my $40/month internet service.
 =3o

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline spudco

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 06:01:03 AM »
Although The Habitat is located in the middle of over 1 million people, we have no alternative but CenturyLink internet costing $68 a month.  Time Warner has refused to install cable based internet access because of our long (1500 feet) driveway.  Our service is so bad that Netflix and Amazon streaming is frustrating at best and even streaming internet radio has issues some days.  At least our current service is better than when we were using satellite based services from Wild Blue.

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 07:05:35 AM »
I have Verizon Fios 50/50 and on average my speed is 15% faster than what I am paying for.  The Fios connection is rock solid and so far no issues in the 4+ years that I have used it.  I had Comcast for awhile and the connection was unstable as anything.

If give the option of fiber v/s cable my vote would always be fiber.  I have found it more reliable.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 07:15:25 AM »
We have Metrocast cable.  Been very stable over the years.  Last update was to 16MB/Sec down and 1MB/Sec up.  Unlimited data, so not complaining.  Bundled with phone and TV.

Before that was 56K telephone modem as no one would run cable in the area over Verizon.   

Would love FIOS, but closest it has come is 40 miles away.  Might be a long while.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 11:37:01 AM »
We're happy with AT&T gigabit service.
I don't know why they call it that, though.
We get 50-700 Mbps depending on the day.
We're usually around 500.
2 things to know:
1. AT&T monitors your activity unless you pay them not to. (If you believe it)
2. Data is not unlimited. They charge an over use at some point of data use. In your house, I'd get clarity on that.

That said, we have paid $70/mo since we got it, and that's what we agreed on. (Not plus tax, fees, etc., $70 even)
Service has some occasional hiccups but not as bad as TWC.
Install was free, they have good equipment.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 01:05:52 PM »
Just internet or also includes phone or TV, etc?

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »
Our little town of 9000 has its own utility service. I currently have the 100mbps service and it is pretty steady at the advertised speed. The whole town is wired in fiber optic, so the internet and TV cable service is real nice here. Only 45 bucks per month for the 100 mbps service and the 1 gig service costs 75/mo. Not a bad price on that as well.

100 mbps is plenty good enough for internet radio. :thumb:
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 04:58:51 PM »
That's a sweet deal jesse

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 06:02:17 PM »

We live in the middle of nowhere on a small lake, only 600 residents, so pretty happy to get Mediacom Cable 60 down/6 up for ~$40 per month, just internet. Phone is GoogleVoice IP, so it's free.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 06:29:41 PM »

$80/mo with phone.   :-({|=

Grade F!   :rofl:

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 03:50:33 AM »
Tried mine, not to bad.

djdube525

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 03:50:48 PM »
26Mbit down / 6Mbit up on Cable (Biz class) in Boulder...

Longmont (next city north) installed their own utility... near Gb up/down for under $100 from what I understand.

:/

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 07:07:22 PM »
We had FIOS for a number of years, but when the discounts ran out I happily switched over to Cablevision. FIOS customer service sucks the big doohickey. We had problems with billing almost every other month.

Cable service is pretty good, and the speed is as good as FIOS. TV is clear and we haven't had any hiccups, although all of our discounts have expired here this past year and it seems expensive to me again.

I compared to FIOS again and it would be the same price, so I'm staying put. Verizon is at a big disadvantage over Cable because of the mandatory taxes added to their bill, because they are a phone service.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.