Author Topic: Cable plating question  (Read 24050 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Cable plating question
« on: January 14, 2015, 09:05:55 AM »
Why do manufactures of PCs terminations plate their prongs using gold or rhodium?  Gold tarnishes bad, it needs the same kind of maintenance as does bare copper. I suppose its rust issues vs the lazy audio hobbyist. Or they are trying to conceal the aluminum underneath. Which is very often the case.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline mresseguie

Re: Cable plating question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 11:14:55 AM »
If gold tarnishes, it is because of whatever other metals were added in to make the alloy. Generally speaking, 14k to 24k gold does not tarnish.

I imagine it's not practical to plate with 24k, but I wonder if it is possible to use 14k gold.

Does anyone know what grade (k) gold plating is used in a typical audiophile situation?
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 11:40:47 AM »
If gold tarnishes, it is because of whatever other metals were added in to make the alloy. Generally speaking, 14k to 24k gold does not tarnish.

I imagine it's not practical to plate with 24k, but I wonder if it is possible to use 14k gold.

Does anyone know what grade (k) gold plating is used in a typical audiophile situation?

I just looked on the WBT web site and every one of their connectors that is gold plated describes the plating as a single layer of 24K gold. Cardas just says gold plated and does not specify what grade of gold.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »
Gold never tarnishes in normal use. That's the only benefit of gold plating (in electronics.)

Gold plating is almost pure gold. Semiconductor leads are pure gold, PCB plate is sometimes pure gold, but that is soft. So for contacts that need more durability they add a little nickel and cobalt, only 0.3%, to increase the hardness. Nickel is resistant to corrosion, so it doesn't affect tarnishing in any appreciable amount.

More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_plating

Gold is not happy in solder. It reacts with tin to make a contaminant that reduces conductivity and mechanical strength. A tin plated copper lead is a better choice. Then spray with conformal coating if corrosion is a concern. Gold is a relatively poor conductor, so rhodium is used instead when budget allows. Silver is the best conductor of all, but requires regular cleaning.

Edit: Rhodium is worse conductor than gold,  I don't know why it is used on audio connectors?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:09:34 PM by richidoo »

Offline Werd

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 01:16:31 PM »
Ok I get it now, so copper would be better than gold plated if you look after it then? Even with the 24carrot stuff?
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »
My (mis?)understanding of this topic is that gold plating over pure copper is best (or one of the best).

Of course, I'm not sure if I've ever knowingly experienced gold or rhodium plating....
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »
Nifty metal plating tid-bits from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plating

"With direct gold-on-copper plating, the copper atoms have the tendency to diffuse through the gold layer, causing tarnishing of its surface and formation of an oxide/sulfide layer. Therefore, a layer of a suitable barrier metal, usually nickel, has to be deposited on the copper substrate, forming a copper-nickel-gold sandwich."

I was thinking silver could be the barrier metal, then I read this

"Care should be used for parts exposed to high humidity environments. When the silver layer is porous or contains cracks, the underlying copper undergoes rapid galvanic corrosion, flaking off the plating and exposing the copper itself; a process known as red plague."

Maybe gold can prevent the red plague? 

"Rhodium plating is occasionally used on white gold, silver or copper and its alloys. A barrier layer of nickel is usually deposited on silver first, though in this case it is not to prevent migration of silver through rhodium, but to prevent contamination of the rhodium bath with silver and copper, which slightly dissolve in the sulfuric acid usually present in the bath composition.[4]"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:23:25 PM by richidoo »

Offline Werd

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 07:18:51 PM »
Makes you wonder if all the mismatch in metals is audible? 
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 07:08:40 AM »

Absolutely audible. We compared several power cords with plugs made of all copper, gold over copper, Rhodium over copper, Rhodium over silver, silver, Copper/silver/gold mix.
   All cords were plugged into a brass receptacle first then an all copper receptacle.
   Differences were heard. After listening to the all copper first as a standard then all silver as the other standard we found that the plating has a sonic signature. Rhodium being bright, Gold warm and no plating neutral. Silver was just more detailed and a bit leaner.
   The biggest difference had was the all copper plug and all copper receptacle. The brass receptacle is a Pass &Seymour 5263A heavy duty  industrial grade with cryo treatment. The other made by Voodoo Audio  [$60] s a all copper and cryo treated as well.
   Overall the plugs using the same material as the receptacle sounded best to us.
    Plating will offer a different flavor so to speak than not plated every time.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 07:21:17 AM »

ABSOLUTELY!!!

For those wondering, here's the Electrical Conductivity order in terms of Gold (assuming Gold to be 100%)..

Conductivity
                                        S/m*10^6    in % of gold

1 Silver (Ag)                            62.89        147.80%
2 Copper (Cu)                          59.77        140.47%
3 Gold (Au)                              42.55        100.00%
4 Aluminium (Al)                       37.66          88.51%
5 Brass, 10% Zn (CuZn10)         35.86          84.28%
6 Rhodium (Rh)                        22.17          52.10%
7 Zinc (Zn)                             16.90          39.72%
8 Brass, 40% Zn (standard)       14.94          35.12%
9 Nickel (Ni)                            14.60          34.31%
10 Phophorus-Bronze (CuSn4)    12.00          28.20%
11 Iron (Fe)                            10.29          24.18%
12 Tin (Sn)                              9.09           21.36%
13 Phosphorus-Bronze (CuSn8)    7.50           17.63%

As you can see, silver & copper rules as the best electrical conductors. Gold is not bad but rhodium is poor...

richidoo - you should try soldering direct to rhodium, talk about a super real PITA!!!

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »
I just ordered some base model Neutrik XLR plugs with bronze contacts.  :duh Because they were cheap. I did hem and hawed whether to get the brass pins, but I thought it was too much for this project. I bet somebody makes high end XLRs?

I've been reading about pure silver cables and connectors. I'm looking forward to trying that. That's one of the reasons I'm going to active amps - to make very short SCs!  :D

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »
So according to the table, Cardas connectors really are just jewelry, and the smart audiophile wants either a copper base with just gold or silver plating (no nickel), or pure silver.

Going further, I'm thinking a screw / compression connection to the connector would be superior to solder, since you really can't avoid getting low conductivity solder between the wire and the "cup".

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 02:40:35 PM »
I don't think you can draw that conclusion. The table that Pete put up simply shows the electrical conductivity of the various metal in response to a specific question.

In theory a difference in pure conductivity should not make a sonic difference as it is linear across all frequencies and would therefor affect all of the signal in the same way (although I suppose the even a linear lowering of the signal amplitude could end up obscuring small details.)

However we as audiophiles know that nothing is ever as simple as the pure theory would lead us to believe as there are always other factors in play.

This is kind os a long winded way of saying that each type of metal and plating can have a different sound to it and therefor none can really be called the "best" overall. Each one can have an advantage on matching different combinations of components in different systems. No component or system is perfect, so different materials will help (or hurt) in different situations.

As always, synergy, synergy, synergy.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Werd

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »
I just ordered some base model Neutrik XLR plugs with bronze contacts.  :duh Because they were cheap. I did hem and hawed whether to get the brass pins, but I thought it was too much for this project. I bet somebody makes high end XLRs?

I've been reading about pure silver cables and connectors. I'm looking forward to trying that. That's one of the reasons I'm going to active amps - to make very short SCs!  :D

Don't want to hi jack my own thread ...should I? What the hell? steve N
States here longer speaker cables are better using shorter ICs than Vica
Versa.

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/audio-faqs/short-versus-long-cables
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:16:21 PM by Werd »
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 06:47:59 PM »
Good to see you bobrex!

That is an interesting article, Werd... thanks for posting it here.

According to Steve N, my short cable distances makes IC OK, as long as capacitance is low with quality wires. The price difference of ICs vs SCs will decide it for most people. Especially if wires are silver.  :shock:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:50:15 PM by richidoo »