Author Topic: Mini HT  (Read 11439 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Mini HT
« on: November 04, 2008, 03:21:02 PM »
A brought my daughter to her friends house today for a playdate. When I arrived to pick her up I went inside and saw them playing Wii on a 80" projector screen in a tiny HT setup in the family's "Living Room." I too have a "Living Room" a little tea room waste of space hidden away from the rest of the house that I use for very little. That's where I tried to put the Ushers last month, but too small for that.

Anyway, they are both really into it. She was telling me all about the project and buying the gear used on Ebay and changes they want to make, and blowing out the back of the house to make a big theater in the future. etc. Typical audiophile mentality, applied to HT, what's that called, videophile? She will be fixing the pictures hanging on the wall so that they don't rattle with the sub. Yeah, they got it bad.

But they really did a nice job on the theater. It is painted a beautiful warm dark reddish maroon, decorated nicely, dark red velvet curtains, special shelf for projector, perfect sized black velvet couches, Axiom speakers, built in closet rack to hold all the gear behind the sweet spot so no lights under the screen. It felt very nice to be in there.

Right Julie and I share the small TV with the kids in there big bonus room. The couch squeaks and stinks, a spring jabs my back, deftech speakers drive me nuts the more refined my stereo gets. I can imagine enjoying TV and movies in a nice little theater downstairs. Hmmmm....  If I could make it good enough for music listening also, that would be something. But would require a ground up scheme.
Rich

Black Sand Cable

Re: Mini HT
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 03:44:18 PM »
So...what are you waiting for?  :D

Get to it!

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:49:55 PM »
Yeah, get on it!  I promise to look at each and every photograph of the project as it's coming along.

That sounds pretty neat.  My TV and stereo zone is the same, and the kids have a good-sized play space down there too.  It's in the finished basement so I have near-autonomy to make it sound good.  Or, that was always the story.  Lately my wife's been grumbling about how it looks down there.  What!?  I released any and all demands of the living room already - I'm living with *gasp* monitors for gawdsakes.  

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:18:35 PM »
Rich,

SO... :wtf: is the hold-up????

Remember...sterefool's house of 'never-ending' audio stuff...I've got multiple sets of extra speakers...out in the storage building. I CAN FIX YOU UP  :twisted:!!!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 05:20:32 PM »
Sorry guys , I had to cook dinner first.   :duh

Don't get too excited, this will be the Smart Car of HTs.

The funny thing is when I moved here, I knew I would install a HT somewhere. I wired two rooms for inwall surround speakers, but now neither room will be used.  :duh Or will it?  I gotta think about this....

Thanks a lot for the great encouragement!!! AN is awesome!
Rich

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 06:39:02 PM »
Speaking of fixing you up, I just took delivery of a whole whack of Spectron Musician III's. I'm thinking we run 4 of them in the new HT room. 8 channels at 600W per should be a decent start.  :drool:

What do you think?  :rofl:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 08:42:58 PM »
Well you said you have a "whole whack," why stop at 8? We'll run them balanced and use 11 monoblocks, one for each channel, 7.4 surround. They sound a little better running balanced. Don't wimp out on me John. Do you think that's enough power for deftech ProCinema 600s? hehe

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 02:12:05 PM »
Well you said you have a "whole whack," why stop at 8? We'll run them balanced and use 11 monoblocks, one for each channel, 7.4 surround. They sound a little better running balanced. Don't wimp out on me John. Do you think that's enough power for deftech ProCinema 600s? hehe

My bad. You are of course correct. Mono blocks would be better. I don't know what I was thinking!

I will get 8 of them ready for shipping. With shipping lets call at an even $60K.....  :shock:

After you get everything set up and running we can get a pool going on AN as to how long the ProCinema 600's will last before they go BOOM!  :rofl:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 03:07:49 PM »
Thanks for the nice discount, you're a chum  :D

(Hmm, I can't remember if you have my CC# - oh shit!)  :shock:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 04:25:31 PM »
I have an HT receiver I'm not using if you'd like to borrow it... I also have a center channel you can borrow or buy for VERY cheap.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 04:50:25 PM »
It'll be a while before I need electronics. Thanks I'll ask you again when I'm ready.  Wife and I are talking about which room might be best (read: bigger)