Author Topic: Any experience w/Benchmark DAC1 Pre as a preamp?  (Read 3204 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Any experience w/Benchmark DAC1 Pre as a preamp?
« on: January 06, 2009, 09:18:35 AM »
Anyone with any experience using the analog section of the new Benchmark DAC1 Preamp?   

I have a highly modded Tact 2.0s (purchased from Carl a couple years back).  Overall, I love it and think I've finally mastered the art of using it.  It has an excellent DAC and I've added a modded ADC card as well since I still spin vinyl on a regular basis (via EE Minimax Phono Pre - Thanks, Bill!).

So here's my quandry... with my latest room layout I find less need for signficant room correction.  I also think that running my vinyl playback thru the ADC-DAC two-step of the Tact is probably not the best path to analog-nirvana.

FWIW, here are my 3 sources ...
- Logitech Duet (used probably 70% of the time but often just background music)
- Oracle CD Transport (20% - mostly critical listening)
- Kuzma Stabi S turntable & EE Minimax Phono Pre (10% - mostly critical listening)

All run thru the Tact into a McCormack DNA-500 amp.

So I see my options as...

1) shutup, sitdown and just listen to more music
2) place a separate preamp between Tact & amp and feed phono pre into it (i.e. mo' money)
3) sell Tact and replace it with a separate DAC and preamp (maybe break even on $$)
4) sell Tact and replace it with Benchmark DAC1 Pre (save $$!)

I'm very curious about the Benchmark DAC1 Pre so I'm looking to hear from anyone that's had a chance to use it - particularly the analog preamp section of it.  The reviews are raves and they also seem to indicate that the DAC itself has been improved.  But, then again, you can always find rave reviews on just about anything to justify this hobby.

The obvious 1st step would be to try the Benchmark as an eval but I'd like to hear from those already using it.  Or, I'd love to hear any advice from others that have gone down this path.  Any insight is appreciated.