Author Topic: What speaker cables are you using, what did they replace, and why?  (Read 11095 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Been listening to cables for a few weeks.  Electra Cables, Straley Reality, Audioquest CV8, and Bolder.  There are clear differences. 
What's in your system, what did they replace, and why?
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: What speaker cables are you using, what did they replace, and why?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 08:49:51 PM »
I replaced Anticables with JPS SuperConductor3. They have great resolution, great bass control, but the best attribute is they don't ring like copper cables. They use a conductor alloy that stops the ringing. They are silent, no ringing at all. The tone sounds richer and more intense, and I like the way the lack of ringing affects the music, and affects me when I listen. JPS makes budget cables too, like UltraConductor2. They all have the same non-ringing alloy conductor, pricier versions have more resolution and better bass response and bass control.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 10:05:59 PM »
I replaced Anticables with JPS SuperConductor3. They have great resolution, great bass control, but the best attribute is they don't ring like copper cables. They use a conductor alloy that stops the ringing. They are silent, no ringing at all. The tone sounds richer and more intense, and I like the way the lack of ringing affects the music, and affects me when I listen. JPS makes budget cables too, like UltraConductor2. They all have the same non-ringing alloy conductor, pricier versions have more resolution and better bass response and bass control.

Rich,
Can you elaborate on what constitutes ringing? How is that pereceived in the musical presentation?
Also, if copper “rings”, have you found that silver does the same?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 10:09:06 PM »
I’m using Gary’s (aka gander) solid copper braided cables. They replaced the Straleys which I had and enjoyed for many years.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 11:39:47 PM »
It's like reverb, but more subtle. It's inside the music, not laid on top like reverb. I think people think it's in the recording, the actual sound of the instrument. It's a sound we are all accustomed to, so we don't notice it until it's gone. I have read that silver also rings, but less noticeable, but this may be the cause of the silver fear many audiophiles have - too much detail, tizzy, etc.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 08:01:05 AM »
One size does not fit all. I use depending on components TWL, Belden and Tchernov. Price matters as well. Tough call. Just need to try as many as you can .
I prefer a neutral cable however sometimes a little color is needed. What that is called synergy.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »
Being able to only afford one set of cables, I did as much reading as I could and got the TWL. I was happy with the pc and read good things about the sc. Before that was a pair I've had for quite some time. Can't remember if it had a specific name but were Harmonic Tech in-wall cable. Even though they weren't in the wall it was the same wire without the pretty cover.
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 04:36:16 PM »
This is going to sound like heresy to some cable people, but before you look to upgrade your speaker cables I think you need to optomize your interconnects. Those signals are much smaller and have a higher chance of getting corrupted by RFi and EMI, hence shielded or not.

Then worry about your speaker cables.

I used Jon Rich's Belden 89259 cross connect DIY design for many years and was very happy with them. I tried others but there was little to no improvement, sometimes worse sounding to my ears, so I stuck with what I had. Then I tried Pete's speaker cables (Triode Wire Labs) and finally found something that improved things without breaking the bank. Truth - I was seriously looking at used Nordost Heimdall cables at that point but couldn't pull the trigger for the cost.  No, I didn't compare Pete's cables to the Heimdall's, but I can say I'm completely satisfied and have lost the urge to look elsewhere.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 06:08:36 PM »
Point taken.  But in my case, speaker cables were the last thing to be upgraded, having found quality interconnects and power cables that I'm pleased with. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
I replaced stranded wire with 10 parallel 18 gauge solid wires simply because it reduces
inductance to nill while I kept the capacitance to absolute minimum.

I am also able to select the total gauge for maximum musical pleasure. Too small of total gauge and
too large total gauge degrades the sound in my system.

Sounds fantastic, and don't want to spend a fortune purchasing 6n pure wire to check for even
better sonics.

cheers

steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 06:58:38 AM »
I replace Audioquest cv-8 with Mapleshade Double Helix V.2, 1/3 the price and better SQ
Mivera PureMusic,  Serenity Acoustics Super 7s w/ upgraded xover and Neotech gold/silver wire for tweet and mids. DIY Neotech gold/silver wire speaker cables. PI UberPuerto

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »
Uh Oh here we go.....Lol. :duh
Well I just dumped big bucks into a pair of MIT Matrix HD38. I already upgraded every other cable in my system. Like Bob says go interconnects first.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 10:33:09 AM »
Well I just dumped big bucks into a pair of MIT Matrix HD38. I already upgraded every other cable in my system. Like Bob says go interconnects first.

Well, I just looked up your MIT’s and yes, they’re a bit more than I can afford 😀
Are they broken it yet? Like what you hear?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline pumpkinman

• Audio Neurotic
Because I am The Pumpkinking

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 05:31:29 PM »

Well, I just looked up your MIT’s and yes, they’re a bit more than I can afford 😀
Are they broken it yet? Like what you hear?

Just ordered them last week won’t get them until Monday
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata