Author Topic: Whats in the box?  (Read 8842 times)

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Whats in the box?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »
From the VS website.
Looks like Mike purchased a counterfeit pair of VR2s

WARNING!

Beware of buying Von Schweikert Audio speakers on the Internet from unauthorized dealers. It has come to our attention that cloners have been reselling unauthorized and inferior copies of several of our speaker models through unscrupulous dealers advertising on the Internet on various resale sites.

Please contact us for a list of authorized dealers in your area, since our sales are restricted to dealers in your local market to prevent gray-market products.
Due to the economic situation, it is understandable that our prospective customers will search for the lowest price available, but if the price is "too good to be true" it is very possible that you have been offered a cheap clone with no warranty. Sales of this nature are non-refundable, so buyer beware!
Due to the large numbers of cloned speakers which are defective "out of the box," Von Schweikert Audio has no recourse except to deny any warranty coverage on any used or new VSA speaker system sold on the Internet through unauthorized sources. In order to prevent fraud, we advise prospective customers to call us to verify that the VSA speakers you see advertised are genuine. There is no charge for this customer related service and is our way to help our prospective customers avoid the problems associated with a bad purchase. In addition, our 10-year warranty is no longer transferable and is only valid to the original buyer. A valid sales receipt from an authorized VSA dealer will be required for any service requested under our warranty.
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 10:39:25 PM »
No......  reading what the guy posted:
The model I bought is a four-driver three-way (meaning, each box has four drivers, in this case two bass drivers, a "midrange"—more about those quote marks in a moment—and a tweeter). The model was manufactured for two years, and my pair are eight years old. They originally retailed for $2,500/pr., a competitive price-point.

the vr2:

A) first and foremost is a 4 driver 2.5 way, with a tweeter, ambiance tweeter on the back, and two completely different woofers even though they look the same based on cone visible.  One is a dedicated woofer.  One is used from bass up through midrange. They're dramatically different motor and magnet structures though.

B) The vr2 was manufactured for more than 2 years and never got to mkiii status as was described later in the article

There is nothing in the vs a lineup from this timeframe or any other that matches up to what he describes as the layout of his speakers.  Its not Von schweikert.  There have been copies of the speakers Albert had built in china, even while the retail line was for sale (the joys of dealing with china who will copy anything and sell it to anyone to keep the lines running and money coming in). But that isn't what's happening here
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 12:43:14 AM by hometheaterdoc »
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 04:16:48 AM »
Mike told me by email that it's not VS, but he did not reveal the mfg.

jianghai

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 12:54:24 PM »
All this intrigue! I want to know!

opnly bafld

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 03:44:10 PM »
Silverline Panatella?
http://www.silverlineaudio.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=12

6 dB x-o used?, but no Mk IV afaik and from every account I know of vg quality.

Whatever they are it is quite possible the previous owner(s) blew them up and made cheap repairs.

Some of the comments from Mike don't make sense to me or I don't completely agree with them.

Lin

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »
Glad you're back Lin!   :thumb: