Author Topic: Nile Rodgers on Netflix  (Read 1922 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Nile Rodgers on Netflix
« on: August 03, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »
Netflix just released some new episodes of it's series "Once in a Lifetime Sessions" on August 1st.  One of them is the Nile Rodgers episode. It's a 70 minute feature about Nile Rodgers, definitely NOT to be missed.

The film includes several recent live performances filmed in studio, where CHIC is recording tracks live to vinyl. I have been looking for any mention of this recording on the web, but have not found anything yet. I'd love to get this live vinyl direct to disc session. The music is awesome. On the Netflix show Nile says he can't believe they are recording direct to disc in this century, and how awesome it sounded on playback. They were playing in London, while the lathe was recording in NY. So it's not exactly "AAA," said the audiophile purist. :)

CHIC feat. Nile Rodgers has a new CD coming out in September 2018, called "It's About Time."  I assume the timing of the Netflix is not totally coincidental.

There is an excellent 5 LP set of Chic singles remastered in Britain in 2013, but it's the original hits, albeit very well done on 45 RPM 180g vinyl. Called "CHIC: The 12" Single Collection." I might grab that if I can't find this new set. Labelled in US as Rhino, Atlantic, etc.  It's also on Tidal.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:30:42 PM by richidoo »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Nile Rodgers on Netflix
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 06:22:21 PM »
Netflix just released some new episodes of it's series "Once in a Lifetime Sessions" on August 1st.  One of them is the Nile Rodgers episode. It's a 70 minute feature about Nile Rodgers, definitely NOT to be missed.

The film includes several recent live performances filmed in studio, where CHIC is recording tracks live to vinyl. I have been looking for any mention of this recording on the web, but have not found anything yet. I'd love to get this live vinyl direct to disc session. The music is awesome. On the Netflix show Nile says he can't believe they are recording direct to disc in this century, and how awesome it sounded on playback. They were playing in London, while the lathe was recording in NY. So it's not exactly "AAA," said the audiophile purist. :)

CHIC feat. Nile Rodgers has a new CD coming out in September 2018, called "It's About Time."  I assume the timing of the Netflix is not totally coincidental.

There is an excellent 5 LP set of Chic singles remastered in Britain in 2013, but it's the original hits, albeit very well done on 45 RPM 180g vinyl. Called "CHIC: The 12" Single Collection." I might grab that if I can't find this new set. Labelled in US as Rhino, Atlantic, etc.  It's also on Tidal.

Had never heard of Nile Rogders. So it was great to do a search on Tidal and listen to some tracks.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Re: Nile Rodgers on Netflix
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 11:26:46 PM »

I just abandoned Netflix for Amazon! Tsk. tsk. I never realized how long I'd been listening to his work via produced works - Duran Duran, Madonna, B-52's, Bowie. etc. Truly a prolific and talented writer and producer!