Author Topic: need recommendation re integrated amp  (Read 19659 times)

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
Re: need recommendation re integrated amp
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2018, 01:21:42 PM »
I don't know about all of the other amps, but I do know a bit about Rich's, as I have a few which are identical to it. In terms of "tweaks", it has all Furutech Rhodium connectors - FI-06 NCF IEC inlet, FT-807R binding posts, and FT-786F XLR . Everything about the module is bone stock. The wire is, well, just very short pieces of wire 8)
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2018, 01:49:43 PM »
I don't know about all of the other amps, but I do know a bit about Rich's, as I have a few which are identical to it. In terms of "tweaks", it has all Furutech Rhodium connectors - FI-06 NCF IEC inlet, FT-807R binding posts, and FT-786F XLR . Everything about the module is bone stock. The wire is, well, just very short pieces of wire 8)

You have a couple of these? Based on my reading, it appears some icepower modules were used for custom amps, but apparently modules are no longer sold individually.
As to the Furutech rhodium, I have no experience with it, but am a believer as I read Dave E’s recent comments about it. I’ve given a lot of thought recently as to tube vs ss amps and I have no real preference either way. I just want excellent sound. Depending on the amp, I’d consider matching it with a tube pre.
If you have an extra icepower amp you want to part with, send me a pm. Or if you know of someone who has the modules and can build me one, do let me know as well. Otherwise, I’ll do more research on the companies I’ve listed and keep looking at the ads for used gear.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2018, 02:26:00 PM »
Replied by PM
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2018, 02:44:54 PM »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2018, 10:19:08 PM »
Now that I’ve purchased and am quite happy with the kef LS 50s, I’m again considering an amp or integrated. I’ve read all the recommendations and am also considering class D or the new ice 1200as module amps. Rich raves about his custom made unit and I’ve looked at the Nord website and also Bellissimo, Apollon, Rouge and Mivera.
https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/products
https://www.apollonaudio.com/apollon-audio-as1200-class-d-ice-power-based-amplifier/
https://www.rougeaudiodesign.com/1200as-en
https://www.miveraaudio.com/product-page/purepower-standard-icepower-1200as2-2-channel-amp
https://www.facebook.com/BellissimoAudio/posts/392672937831624
So there are lots of choices and the icepower amps are very reasonably priced. I’m looking for an integrated icepower amp, but haven’t looked at the sites closely enough and haven’t found anything via a search. Seems the ideal combination would be an icepower 1200as would a tube pre in ine chassis.
It would be interesting to know the differences in these amps vs Rich’s tweaked ice 1200.
Nick
nick,

i did some investigation, as i followed the initial mivera thread, as i was interested when at ~$800 for a kit.  and, i'd have been interested in the full-monty mods - if the original case was still offered in that configuration in kit form, which would have kept the costs down.  but for $1500 for the standard build in a fancy case, and $1800 for the mods in the fancy case, i lost interest.  even if it's still a bargain, relative to other "name" offerings.  because i know if the performance is really there, like everything else, the price will be even less than the initial $800 in short order.  because it's apparent that there's really not much to these amps:

and, it's not like i'm lacking in the amp department presently.   :lol:

anyway, i've had some back-n-forth w/jared from bellissimo, and initial feedback is he'd do a full-monty build, like mivera's, but in a standard case, for $1300 shipped.  considering mivera will cost another ~$100 for shipping, that may be something worth considering.

doug s.

Doug,
Thanks for your investigation and input on the 1200as amps. I’m intrigued with these new icepower models and I might soon be able to get my hands on a stereo amp with the Furutech rhodium goodies....and for a darn good price.....at least imho. It was built when the modules were available for diy. So I look forward to that opportunity if it arises.
Now, if that doesn’t pan out, then I have the list of recommendations and will pursue some of those and others.

I must say I’ve been following the Mivera threads and all the  changes along the way. I’ve also been fascinated with Mikes work on his dac which will be similar to the MSB Select which retails for $90,000. I’ll likely start a thread on that shortly.
Now, my beautifully thought out sub first, then amp/integrated next strategy has been turned upside down because Emil offered his Border Patrol SE coax version for sale yesterday....and I bought it!
I’ve wanted to try the BP SE version for quite some time and the price was pretty good. So next Monday, it’ll be here and it’s either the Antelope or the Border Patrol.
Now as to the sub situation, Enrico from Rythmik subs has answered a couple of my emails about their subs and also recommended their LS 22, which is a dual driver 98 lb beast. I explained that my intent was not centered on filling the entire 15x29 room with thunderous bass, just my listening environment 11’ from the speakers. I’ll be in touch with him again tomorrow.

Finally, I recently saw a Melos 333 for sale....maybe $1,300. But it’s a two chassis, would cost a lot to upgrade to Porzilli’s latest and I don’t have an unlimited bank account.
Nick
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:04:10 AM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2018, 03:04:31 PM »
Hello Doug,
Had a nice reply typed up and it’s gone. Oh well....
The stereo 1200as amp is a diy unit from a guy at another forum. I have no idea how he got those modules and I’ve been asked to keep the information private. I’m quite interested and the price of admission seems reasonable to me.
I’m not really a flavor if the month kind of guy, but Rich’s glowing comments have me interested as do comments from others who’s postings and associated gear I’m familiar with.
Some glowing reports or recommendations obviously don’t pan out like my adventure with the Nolas and those little Mark Audio Alpair drivers, but some recommendations like those of the kef LS50s do!!

As to the pesky sub situation, my wife and I have guidelines as to size and placement and that’s the way its gotta be. Heck, I was happy with the bass from my SP Tech drivers...but yeah, I’d like a little more.

As to the Melos, I’ll take a peak again. Don’t recall seeing any mention of phono and I do have a Don Sachs phono here...never played yet and gathering dust. But I’m holding on to that baby right now. Don’s stuff has nothing but very positive comments.

That’s it for now. Need to call contractors to do work on the house. I’m lucky to get a 50% response from these guys
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2018, 11:11:57 PM »
nick,

another interesting avenue to explore - while i was exploring the schiit eitr (nice name, eh?) , i also happened to take a gander at its other schiity offerings.  it was interesting to note, in the reviews of its (relatively) reasonably priced integrated amp and its power amp, that besides pretty-much universally excellent reviews, several of the reviewers used the gear w/ls50's and really liked that combination...

http://www.schiit.com/products/vidar
http://www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok

doug s.

Doug,
Nice pieces for quite good prices and good comments about the raggie as well. But no remote?? I use that thing all the time!  Other than having heard of Mike Moffatt from the old Theta days and his partner Stoddard from ??, I don’t know much about Schiit. Some years back,
I was considering finding old Golden Tube Audio amps and having Jeff from Sonic Craft mod them. During that conversation, he commented on the Bifrost dac and that he could mod it into an exemplary unit. But I never took him up on it. Don’t know anyone who has the Sch... stuff either.

Now as to “approved” locations for subs, I may turn that part of the discussion over to my wife......
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2018, 08:12:14 AM »
Nick. FWIW, two of our AudioSyndrome members, who have been die hard tube guys since the 1980s recently switched over to Peachtree integrateds and are very happy with them.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2018, 09:40:16 AM »
Nick. FWIW, two of our AudioSyndrome members, who have been die hard tube guys since the 1980s recently switched over to Peachtree integrateds and are very happy with them.

Tom, which Peachtree integrated?

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2018, 10:46:54 AM »

Tom,
Haven’t looked at Peachtree in ages. I must say I don’t recall their products being as stylish. It sure is another Swiss army knife type product. In addition to the Parasound, the other manufacturer that gets rave reviews is Hegel....from Norway I think.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2018, 10:59:30 AM »

For what its worth the reason was my suggestion since one owns maggies which love current and quads which also loves current based amps. The Maggie guy was using 70W amps the Quad guy using mushy VTL amps oye !. Cost was a huge factor for them, they are quite frugal.
Peachtree is a VG amp in certain systems One can do so much better if willing to spend a tad more.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2018, 11:26:39 PM »
Well,
I bought an icepower 1200as amp from member TomS and it arrived today. It was not made by Mivera Mike. The Takachi case is beautiful and I really wonder why Mike went to all the trouble of the super fancy other case.
Anyway, the amp will have to sit for nearly a week as we’re having some painting and flooring done.
Yes, it’ll be a very sad week.......
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2018, 07:27:30 PM »
Well,
I bought an icepower 1200as amp from member TomS and it arrived today. It was not made by Mivera Mike. The Takachi case is beautiful and I really wonder why Mike went to all the trouble of the super fancy other case.
Anyway, the amp will have to sit for nearly a week as we’re having some painting and flooring done.
can you pull the lid and take pics?  it wasn't made by mike, but it's one of his kits, correct?

doug s.

Doug,
Unable to do much of anything right now. Due to the painting etc stuff  is covered with drop cloths etc  Really doubt it was a Mike kit. Don’t know how it was sourced and put together.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2018, 08:12:32 AM »
Well,
can you pull the lid and take pics?  it wasn't made by mike, but it's one of his kits, correct?

doug s.
No, absolutely nothing to do with him.

Inside is just a stock module and stock wiring in a Takachi case, so nothing to see there at all. There are no reasonable mods for the 1200AS2 as of yet. They're all the same.

The connectors are Furutech FI-06NCF for IEC, FT-786F XLR, FT-807 binding posts, all Rhodium. They're just good quality parts, no idea if it makes any sonic difference from other decent quality parts. 2-3" of wire inside, very doubtful.

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2018, 04:54:11 PM »
It would be a bigger upgrade to make a gap between the binding posts that isnt metal. It can be fairly small. This would be better than the silliness of trying to use uber wire. Furutech makes great connectors. The only change I might consider is an NCF IEC inlet, cheap and audible.

Oh wait, if there are any Y caps from line to ground, they sould be removed. And maybe a couple other possibilities... oh gawd, am I getting myself into something?