Author Topic: SqueezeBox Boom  (Read 7210 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
SqueezeBox Boom
« on: June 29, 2009, 07:31:15 PM »
I just received a SB Boom.  Surprisingly good  and feature rich for basically a SB3 plus amp and speakers at that price.  It has a subwoofer out to fill in the bottom end (though the bass is relatively full for its size).  It also has a line-in jack for an external source.  A little remote that magnetically attaches to the Boom chassis.  Works wired or wirelessly.

Guess I got off cheap.  It's just what the wife wanted and doesn't take up a lot of space in the office.  It was really meant for outside, exercise room, etc.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
Re: SqueezeBox Boom
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:54:34 AM »
When you say "surprisingly good", are you referring to the overall sound quality?

Bob

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 03:03:52 PM »
Yes.  Considering a 3" woofer and 3/4" tweeter, it's not all that bad.  There's also a subwoofer out on it to fill in the bottom end.

Bryan

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
Ok cool. Just curious if the new company has retained any of the magic the previous company had.
It's nice to know good sound can be had in small packages.
Thanks Bryan.  :D

Bob

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 05:33:42 PM »
Just don't expect it to play very loud and maintain anything close to decent sound quality. Both of my kids had one in their rooms and trust me on this, it doesn't take much volume before the sound quality drops.

At low volumes they sound decent but after that, there isn't much there.

Honestly, for the money I think they should be a hell of a lot better then what they are.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 05:47:14 PM »
Not to divert the discussion too much, but now that Sean Adams has left the Slimdevices team, I have to wonder how the product line will evolve.   I've seen rumor of the Squeezebox Touch but it's not real clear how that will fit into the overall product line.   

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 05:53:06 PM »
Not to divert the discussion too much, but now that Sean Adams has left the Slimdevices team, I have to wonder how the product line will evolve.   I've seen rumor of the Squeezebox Touch but it's not real clear how that will fit into the overall product line.   

I think it will continue to the follow the "Logitech" path (build it fast and cheap) which to me at least isn't a good thing. As each day passes there are more and more competitors in this market. Sonos to me at least still rules, Yamaha just announced a bunch of new products similar to Sonos and more and more companies are getting into it. Naim Audio has started down the path and from what I have been told, they are going to be coming out with even more products that cater to the digital world.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
Never been a big Logitech fan. I bit on Duet and regretted the experience, just like in the old days when I swore I would never buy another Logitech product. Now I really swear.  :rofl:

But Logitech did mail me TWO duets instead of one. Dunno why.. I did pre-order it the very first day it was announced, maybe that was why, or just a computer error. One of the few audio gear flips where I made some money, like $50... :roll:

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »
Just don't expect it to play very loud and maintain anything close to decent sound quality. Both of my kids had one in their rooms and trust me on this, it doesn't take much volume before the sound quality drops.

At low volumes they sound decent but after that, there isn't much there.

Honestly, for the money I think they should be a hell of a lot better then what they are.

Agreed on the loud but hey - waddayawant...

As for price, it's the same price as a SB3 and you get an amp and speakers in the deal.  Yeah- the remote isn't exactly full function.  Not sure how much more they could do.  Personally, I'm surprised it's not priced higher.

Bryan

djdube525

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 10:34:44 AM »
Hi Bryan,

Still happy with the Boom? Was looking for an internet enabled clock radio of sorts for the bedroom. Something with better sound quality than the $10 wally world special I have in there now but doesn't cost an arm and a leg like the Bose wave radios.

I see Logitech also came out with a "Radio" which looks to be a choped down version of the boom with a color display. If there's a decent black friday or cyber monday deal, Santa may have to pull the trigger.

Dave

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 11:01:38 AM »
Don't know about the new item but the boom is getting lots of use in the wife's office.  Works great in that application and does fine outside at dinner, having a few beers on the deck, etc. as long as you don't need concert levels.

Bryan

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 12:40:50 PM »
I helped a friend setup a Squeezebox network in his house and he just picked up a Boom.  I was very impressed with build and sound quality... That would make one hell of a nice clock radio. :thumb: