Author Topic: What are we struggling with in our systems?  (Read 7978 times)

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: What are we struggling with in our systems?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 11:55:46 PM »
There just seems to be two different camps. You're in the conditioner camp for sure!

And buffers, big fan of them. But sometimes they are more and less needed due to impedances and how hard one thing is to drive compared to another.
Man, I get this.  I'm ready to learn about buffers.  I have a love/hate relationship with them...

I'm driving low power amps (one of which is your 7297 amp...  Amazing) and a buffer just does't seem to to provide the drive to make a couple of them sound "right".

I'm a tube front end guy, so be gentle, Jeremy  :thumb:  I'm getting ready to use two of your amps for a LF and full range  applications.  Any ideas?

Offline Folsom

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 09:11:07 AM »
I highly recommend Keantoken's buffer. It can drive multiple 7297's no problem. He said up to 10 devices is possible.

I made another GB for boards that would be useful for powering that buffer and assorted phonostages etc... it hasn't taken off yet.

Offline dBe

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 10:27:44 PM »
I highly recommend Keantoken's buffer. It can drive multiple 7297's no problem. He said up to 10 devices is possible.

I made another GB for boards that would be useful for powering that buffer and assorted phonostages etc... it hasn't taken off yet.
The current mirror method is very cool.  I'm going to order some parts tomorrow.

You knwIm always good with your boards.  Put me down for 4.  We'll be headed out end of the month for about 10 days and contact will be sketchy during that time.

Cool, thanks.

Offline Folsom

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 10:47:25 PM »
4 of which?

The Kuartlotron isnt exactly a current mirror. The easiest description is error corrector.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 07:40:54 AM »
Actually Folsom I'm in the tonality and harmonic structure camp. Dave's conditioners bring me closer to that. However not for all components. Some components like my Arion HS500 amps have a very sophisticated power supply used in Submarines which is dead quiet. I get a slight loss in weight and slam with the Uber but the tonality is better so it is in.
What could possibly be wrong with clean power, assuming you are getting clean power. Distortion another issue as in SET design and other designs.
It ALL matters.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Folsom

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 04:21:23 PM »
A lot of gear simply is tuned around power conditioning so it doesn't sound right to many people with it.

I am with you. Those things matter to me more than imaging and such. BUT I get those too :D. And I prefer gear that benefits from power conditioning. My ears are too sensitive to work with the gear that is tuned to use problematic power in it's favor (fatigues me).

The Arion I think uses a SMPS, which is the only thing Dave's conditioner hasn't had 100% adoption with. It's largely a problem due to their (SMPS) somewhat poor accountance of harmonics on the AC power. My Lillies might do a favor for that. I am surprised you haven't taken me up on trying them out as a dealer, actually.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 04:38:32 PM »
A lot of gear simply is tuned around power conditioning so it doesn't sound right to many people with it.

I am with you. Those things matter to me more than imaging and such. BUT I get those too :D. And I prefer gear that benefits from power conditioning. My ears are too sensitive to work with the gear that is tuned to use problematic power in it's favor (fatigues me).

The Arion I think uses a SMPS, which is the only thing Dave's conditioner hasn't had 100% adoption with. It's largely a problem due to their (SMPS) somewhat poor accountance of harmonics on the AC power. My Lillies might do a favor for that. I am surprised you haven't taken me up on trying them out as a dealer, actually.

Just had not gotten around to it yet. So now is a good time. I will PM you my info.

thanks,
charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline dBe

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 09:48:22 PM »
4 of which?

The Kuartlotron isnt exactly a current mirror. The easiest description is error corrector.
Your power supply boards.  I can use them for a lot of projects.

The two BC560C form a current mirror to the input per his own words and feed the BC550.  Am I missing something here?

Do you have boards for K'tron?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:56:36 PM by dBe »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 07:29:49 AM »
Keantoken sells his own PCBs  and another guy sells cheaper ones, but Kean says his layout is better.

Offline Folsom

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »
4 of which?

The two BC560C form a current mirror to the input per his own words and feed the BC550.  Am I missing something here?

I have the LOFI (input filtered transformer board), and DCS1 & DCS2. The DCS1 is single rail, the DCS2 is dual rail. I am not sure which you want 4 of...

I just meant that when I describe the KU I don't say "current mirror" because even though it has a function to do so, it belittles the error correction factor that makes it more unique.

I would use Keantoken's boards. I have a few extra for myself but you'll have to get your own  :lol:

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 03:50:32 PM »
4 of which?

I have the LOFI (input filtered transformer board), and DCS1 & DCS2. The DCS1 is single rail, the DCS2 is dual rail. I am not sure which you want 4 of...

I just meant that when I describe the KU I don't say "current mirror" because even though it has a function to do so, it belittles the error correction factor that makes it more unique.

I would use Keantoken's boards. I have a few extra for myself but you'll have to get your own  :lol:
Jeremy,

I'll take 4 of each of yours.  They'll make my life much easier and I like your approach to power supplies.  The Antipode (not to be confused with Antifa) is  a very elegant method to what I have done in the past by hardwiring.

I missed his boards available section, so I'll go from there.

Edit - Boy! Am I blind or what!!!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 03:52:10 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe