Author Topic: Electrocompaniet  (Read 4553 times)

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
Electrocompaniet
« on: April 08, 2017, 04:40:09 PM »
Anybody ever heard of this company?  I went into a stereo shop in Pacifica, CA and all he carried was this brand. Looks like nice stuff, Pricy. 20K for a mono block. 30K for some speakers. The speakers sound good, but I have heard others that sound equal or better at less cost. (Like Volti Vittoras)

Talking trash about every other brand in the price range. Again, heard the same or better for less. Y

They seem to cater to rich Silicone Valley people with too much money. The best part is they don't sell speakers (other than the Electrocompaniet) Again, how can you compare? No digital either. Not impressed. Worst stereo store experience I ever had.  :(
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: Electrocompaniet
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 04:44:19 PM »
reminds me of the stores that sold Naim and Linn. They were like a cult.
Overpriced, and they knock every other brand.

I think you can buy a Linn Sondeck now for like $20K....crazy....and even more if you get the fairy dust option
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:27:46 PM »
rich Silicone Valley people with too much money.

for like $20K....crazy....

Both of these are violations of our rules. Please refamiliarize yourself with our protocols.
Thanks

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 09:28:50 PM »
While I agree that the tone of the posts may have been over the line, I think the underlying message is in many cases, all too true. Listen I can understand a dealer in the Silicon Valley area making it his business plan to convince people with large incomes to spend large amounts of that money on boutique type equipment, good for him. He is obviously offering these people something that they feel is worth the asking price, so like I've said in the past as long as everybody involved is making their money legally, I'm happy for them.

But what I do have a problem with is people in some (not all) of these dealerships looking down their noses at anyone who doesn't walk in with a huge budget to spend. There have been several dealers like that in the NYC area over the years, and maybe it's just a coincidence, but every one that ever gave me an attitude like that, with the exception of one dealt exclusively in British gear. Just my small sample, but it is what it is. Anyhow, I walked into one such dealer about 25 years ago to pick up a few audiophile LPs that a friend told me that had in stock. Grabbed six LPs that each sold for around $20 a piece and went to the counter to pay for them. The salesmen looked at what I had picked out and said "Wow, looking at what you picked out you must be pretty serious about sound. What kind of TT do you have?" I explained that had a VPI HW-19 Mk IV with an SME Series IV tonearm.  Not the be all and end all in vinyl playback, but even by today's standards still a pretty credible table. Knowing that they were a Roksan dealer I kind of expected him to say something along the lines of  Well if you are that much into it you should really listen to the latest Roskan table I think you might consider it a significant upgrade to what you have now. But what he said next absolutely floored me. He looked me right in the eye and said "How could you possibly stand listening to music on a piece of shit like that." And then when I told him forget it I didn't want the records he ask me why I was being such an asshole. And most of the people I know who have been in the hobby for any length of time have had one or more similar situations. So a lot of what may have come across as bad feelings are not really feeling about rich people as much as they are pointed at the attitudes of the people who serve them.

But that said in an electronic forum such as this posts are often viewed as a stand alone comment by people who often don't know some of the stories and situations behind the words, so w all must be careful that the words we use in each post stand on there own and ell the whole thought we are trying to convey.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 09:42:08 PM »
But I think I know where Mike was heading with his comment and I do have to agree with him. Linn has a business model that call for them selling upgrades to their existing customer base as opposed to trying to get them to buy new and improved TTs. And in some cases the upgrades cost as much as entire new tables from competing brands that IMO sounded better that the Linn with the upgrade installed. But that is just my opinion, and for that reason I have chose to by my vinyl equipment from companies other than Linn. But if somebody out there feels that an upgraded Linn gives them what they are looking for, by all means go for it. I don't think Mike was trying to say that it was crazy to spend $20K on a TT as much as he was trying to say that he felt that a Linn tables was not worth that kind of money and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that a statement like that is within the guidelines. And while I can respect him for that opinion and might even share it, Linn must be doing something right, because the LP-12 is one of the longest running products in the history of High End Audio and I certainly have to respect them for that. But as I said in my last post, it is often just a matter of choosing our words a little more carefully .

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 01:28:23 AM »
the audio business is just that....a business.

Selling pays the bills, keeps the lights on and gets salaries paid.

In the past I think it was their business model to be snooty, it was just the modis operandi  for most stores and sort of became understood to be the way, sadly.

Now most brick and mortar stores are gone, so we don't need to suffer that anymore.
Unfortunately what has occurred recently is a vast inflation of prices, out of whack with the rest of the commodities in the world, or at least at a higher rate.
Car prices have definitely risen but not at the same rate as say speaker cables!
Naim Naca 5 speaker cable was 5$ a foot 12 years ago, it is now 25$ a foot for the same cable.

So back in the day we would lament being treated poorly by the salesman, now we lament the high prices, and if you walk into a brick and mortar today you run the chance of being hit by both at the same time!

I hope this comment is within the protocols of the site, we are audiophiles, our goals are different than that of the guy trying to sell you something.
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 07:47:44 AM »
+1 to the last 3 posts. Well said, Gents.

To Tmazz: I have 3 words for you Josh, Josh & Josh!  :rofl:

To MikeyTR: I think the British/Scottish - Naim/Linn model was based on that elitist, holier-than-thou sales model. People bought it because the companies and their retailers almost posed the question to the consumers as "are YOU worthy of such great sound?" People were dying to breathe that rarefied air that Naim and Linn blew around it's equipment!

My 2¢

SN

P.S. - I was a Naim and Linn owner for over 20 years. I actually have a second system with some of the Naim electronics in it.
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 03:43:05 PM »
Richadoo and to all,

I apologize if I offended anyone on the forum. I certainly did not mean to be derogatory to anyone or any one group , but was just trying to make the point that the others stated.

Jesse
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 06:34:46 PM »
jesse
you were just doing your part to keep the site moving, if there was no controversy, there would be nothing.

no foul IMO

you just told us of an experience you had and your inner interpretations of what transpired.....all valid points, worthy of acceptance or disapproval by others here, but 100% valid in your experience.

It can't be all 12 string guitars playing Kumbaya...life just ain't that way.!

Offline tmazz

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 10:32:02 PM »
To Tmazz: I have 3 words for you Josh, Josh & Josh!  :rofl:

Bill, believe it or not the experience I talked about was not with Josh, who I don't think ever sold Roksan.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 11:28:12 AM »
if there was no controversy, there would be nothing.

It can't be all 12 string guitars playing Kumbaya...life just ain't that way.!

AN is not a place for controversy, and AN is not analogous to life in general.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 11:50:54 AM »
controversy about controversey :duh
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »
Just maybe the world would be a better place if there were more twelve strings playing Kumbuya........

Sorry, but there does not have to be controversy. But there is a big space between everybody running around like a hippie love fest and controversy. And in that space there is plenty of room for respectful intellectual discussion. Sure there will be differences in opinion and disagreements in that space , but they can be done in a way that peoples opinions get respected for what they are and people can have differences without them leading to insult, hurt feelings and the like. Rich has set up a bunch of guidelines that keep us away from topics that really have nothing to do with audio and can often quickly lead to arguments and bald blood among our members. And while some folks may think they are a little heavy handed, it's his ballpark, so he gets to make the ground rules. But I do have to admit that over the years I have been involved here, they have kept everyone playing nice in the sandbox. Hey if anyone wants to be surrounded by the constant drone of fanboys, insults and flame wars there are other audio sites at which they can be easily and regularly found. And I don't think too many people on this site would need a second guess to figure out where that is.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 02:45:39 PM »
since april 8 there have been 29 posts on this site
13 of those were about the topic in question, almost half
discount the strange but true posts and other nonsense and you have very very little useful info.

I think the problem here is we are bored audiophiles, we have bought all the stuff we wanted to buy, learned as much as we cared to learn and now we are spinning our wheels trying to find something interesting to write about.

The site needs new blood....remember when we were new at this? it was exciting, now talking about cables and power conditioners and this and that is old hat, the site needs new people , not us tired old audiphools.

I respect Rich for what he is trying to create but to be honest the same crap he wants to limit happens all the time at actual audio meetings with actual real people.
Say it ain't so.  We are lucky we have a large audiophile following here in NY NJ and we do have lots of meetings, but lots of times it goes back to shootin the shit, its what we like...that sprinkled with some learning possibly and some limoncello!

I will probably be asked to not use the site if I am bored and that is legit!

Ok everyone....Kumabaya my lord Kumbaya  oh lord Kumbaya, whatever that means!

Offline tmazz

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »

Ok everyone....Kumabaya my lord Kumbaya  oh lord Kumbaya, whatever that means!

For what it's worth the English translation of Kumbuya is "Come here Lord."

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1280/what-does-kumbaya-mean

You learn something new every day, whether you like it or not.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9