Author Topic: What Did You Do When You Thought You Were Done?  (Read 9338 times)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: What Did You Do When You Thought You Were Done?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 06:11:04 AM »
Most people here won't be done until the throw the dirt on us......   :rofl:
Just make sure it's been "cryo'd" first!!!  :rofl:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 08:16:32 AM »
Done?! Done?! We're never done!! [-X
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 06:57:09 AM »
Here's some thoughts to get you back "on track"

- Do you ever use headphones? Wait for a sale on Sennheiser HD600's, they come up every so often, and go for it. Or find another set you like, then get a decent tubed headphone amp.

- Check out all the complexity in digital audio. Get a laptop and start loading a new 2tb hard drive with rips, then begin the DAC rotation game.

- But some more of Pete's cables.

- Think about getting a sub, or if you have one, get another.

- Go attend the next audio show  that should start your juices flowing.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 09:24:28 AM »
- But some more of Pete's cables.

+1

I used antecable (IC, SC and autoformers) with Focus 2020 in my first system back in 2006. Friends politely recommended I try some other cables, and they were right. ymmv

My old system was fun but relatively low resolution. But with a system like yours a cable quest would be a lot of fun, even if you stayed with the antecables in the end.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 10:37:21 AM »
For me when I thought I was done I just sat back, breathed a sigh of relief  and listened to some music.

We are never truly done. There is always some piece of equipment or tweak to try.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 08:01:34 AM »
Thanks for the tips on internet radio stuff... that is my next quest if I ever get time... just more music.
It takes a lot of time to find something I really enjoy.  There is a spiritual message in music for me; and finding that takes more than an algorithm of "if you like this, you might like that" based on other people's preferences. 

So, I can't use traditional (easy) means to find music... so, finding and exploring with people is my best bet.  Listening to music with my fellow audio enthusiasts has gotten me into some new music before.  I'd like to do that again.  What was once so easy is now so difficult. 

My life is extremely full right now.  I'm not just busy, I'm carrying a load.  I'm in the thick of it... etc.  But, one thing I can say, when I do have a little spare time, is that is extremely rewarding to listen to my completed audio system. 

That system really is 'done'.  I got a new DAC that just clicked with my system like nothing before.  (a Vi DAC from LH Labs)  It's kind of finicky about its setup but very rewarding when done right.

I have tried selling my old dac but haven't gotten ANY interest at all.  It's really weird.  If someone knows something I don't, please tell me.  (Like, didn't you know, all Buffalo DAC's are exploding now?  or... you used blue tape to keep the wires down? Don't you know that blue tape makes music sound awful?... etc.. ) ;)

Anyway, I'm pretty happy these days... just never ending tasks fill every hour of every day.  Even nights are full of feeding a baby, or just getting woken up for whatever reason someone has some issue and makes a lot of noise... or even myself with a bad cough for 2 weeks...

Mainly I enjoy the feeling of being done because it allows me to feel relief.  Feeling relieved is very helpful to me so that is my primary motivation... Ahhh.. what a relief!
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 11:40:22 AM »
Email sent with selling advice.

Hint: Don't say I built it!  :lol:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 08:33:27 AM »
I'll never be done, but I definitely go in waves... several years with no changes and everything sounding great and then I hear about something that sparks the nervosa of this hobby.

I do get influenced when hanging around online audiophile forums and now that I'm retired I must do better at resisting the urge to spend money when I'm no longer making it.   That would be a big FAIL so far.  :duh

There was a time when I firmly believed that I was building toward an ultimate system.  I've owned a few components over the years that I considered "cornerstones" - something I'd never sell.  Yeah, they're pretty much gone.  The only one I still have is my vinyl rig. 

The truth is, this is an addictive hobby in an ever-changing business.  So what may have been "awesome" a few years ago has had it's butt kicked by newer technology (that will undoubtedly have it's butt kicked soon as well).

Now maybe, if I'd just stuck with vinyl, the rate of change would be far less... nah, probably not.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 12:15:23 PM »
  If you truly love music and desire a closer to real life experience one is never done.
   Source components aka DAC's are getting better. It ain't over til it's over.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.