Author Topic: Hurricane Earl  (Read 4212 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Hurricane Earl
« on: September 04, 2010, 07:42:40 AM »
How did you guys make out with Hurricane Earl? Were you far enough inland to be spared its effects?

It was a big dud by the time it made it up to Long Island. The people at the east end were supposed to get hit the hardest. They were braced for a Cat 3 or 4 hurricane and last night on the news they wee interviewing people from Montauk who said what eventually hit was no worse than a strong thunderstorm. Further west in Nassau County and NYC after all of the preparations we made, I don't think there was 10 minutes of rain the whole day.

Oh well, better safe that sorry.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

djdube525

Re: Hurricane Earl
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 02:10:42 PM »
There was a little bit of flooding in the Outer Banks... some portions of HWY12 were closed due to sand, but that's reportedly cleared up.

In the Raleigh area, I didn't notice any uptick in wind at all.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 02:43:35 PM »
There was a little bit of flooding in the Outer Banks... some portions of HWY12 were closed due to sand, but that's reportedly cleared up.

In the Raleigh area, I didn't notice any uptick in wind at all.

Sounds like the western end of LI. We actually have more wind today (on a beautiful sunny day) than we did during the "storm" yesterday. Go figure.  :-k
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:37:29 AM »
It was eerily "dead quiet" on Friday as the storm was supposed to be passing LI. The birds were hunkered down but there wasn't even a hint of a breeze.

Much windier saturday and Sunday (it played havoc with my golf game, hard to drive the ball far on holes into the wind, but I put 2 drives into the water which was about 300 yards from the tee on the downwind side).
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Bigfish8

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 01:40:49 PM »
I was near Cape Charles, VA on Friday.  Earl caused a few showers and wind gusts up to around 40 MPH but luckily no damage.  

I am certain many of us have experienced the destruction a hurricane can deliver in a very short period of time.  Those of us who have lived in Raleigh for awhile vividly remember an old bitch by the name of Fran who visited one night.  I was left with 20 downed trees (one laying length-wise on a Ford Taurus - totally destroyed), a limb through my roof, a big pine leaning over my roof and an unbelievable amount of debris in my yard.  While it took 9 days to restore my electriecity and 3 months to get everything back to normal, in hindsight I was lucky because it could have been even worse.  

When they start forecasting hurricanes having the potential to hit the East Coast those of us that were here during Fran definitely take notice.  I am glad Earl was more of a warning type of news maker than he was a news maker due to the devastation he caused.

Ken
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:42:27 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:18:36 PM »
Yeah, Fran, she was a miserable bitch. You got that right Ken. We were only here a year and we had ice and bad hurricane. Made us feel right at home. We lived in LA for fires, earthquake, riots and floods in 1991. Then Fran in 96. The weather report next day said they saw a cluster of tornados tear through our west raleigh neighborhood during Fran. Destroyed everything. Water coming in through the ceiling, freight train outdoors, scary mother. I'm glad Earl was a wus