Author Topic: Where to get Jupiter caps....  (Read 9368 times)

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
Where to get Jupiter caps....
« on: March 30, 2016, 09:07:17 AM »
Hey gang,

I was told about Jupiter caps long ago.  Now, I may need to pick up a couple.  My DIY Cary preamp I had put in a Solen cap over the output area.  Of course, the sound changed, like any DIY thing.  Used to give me a sweet tho thicker sound, but with the Solen, the sound thinned, improved transparency, but I just am not crazy 'bout the tonality.  So, I want to play with it again, replacing the Solen cap, 10 uf. 

Now, WHERE can I get Jupiter for cheaper $$?  If I remember correctly, last I checked, it's much more expensive than the run of the millers.

Any advice is appreciated!  Incidentally, I just also bought a clone pre, a John Curl JC preamp, from China, for pennies (about $150).  Even John Curl I heard bought one and kind of liked it.  But, so far, solid state is solid state... Have to break in more I guess, tho it's not as transitory as others.  This John Curl is a good guy..... My taste bud is different tho when it comes to audio I guess.  But, it's good for the money.

Thanks.

Shek :duh

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
Re: Where to get Jupiter caps....
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 09:27:21 AM »
How many do you need?
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 11:28:43 AM »
How many do you need?

Hey Hugh, I actually needed only a 10 uf.  The Jupiter 10 uf is like $499.  No way, Jose, I said.

Here's why/what I'm doing.  The original sound of my pre was quite sweet, but lacking in transparency.  So, I added a 10 uf Solen over the output side.  It opened up, but I lost the sweet tone (P'd off, of course!).  Can't win.  I've now decided to see if I can use a different 10 uf cap to salvage it, or to recover some tonal sweetness.

So, what I need now actually is for you experts out there to suggest a brand 10uf that's to give me enough sweetness and transparency... (Wow, I want 'em all, right?).

The space I have in the pre's belly says the cap has to be no more than about 1" in diameter, and 1.75" in length.  Tough options may be.

Thanks.

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 11:50:18 AM »
Shek, you sure it is a 10uf value. That is a large size for a preamp output cap!
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 02:05:11 PM »
Could it be 1uF?
Shek, you sure it is a 10uf value. That is a large size for a preamp output cap!
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 02:07:26 PM »
I think a 10uF Jupiter may just be physically bigger than the space you have available.

On the other hand, with the exception of Duelund's which is way more than we'd like to spend, as far as our experience is concerned, Jupiter's is hard to beat.

How many do you need?

Hey Hugh, I actually needed only a 10 uf.  The Jupiter 10 uf is like $499.  No way, Jose, I said.

Here's why/what I'm doing.  The original sound of my pre was quite sweet, but lacking in transparency.  So, I added a 10 uf Solen over the output side.  It opened up, but I lost the sweet tone (P'd off, of course!).  Can't win.  I've now decided to see if I can use a different 10 uf cap to salvage it, or to recover some tonal sweetness.

So, what I need now actually is for you experts out there to suggest a brand 10uf that's to give me enough sweetness and transparency... (Wow, I want 'em all, right?).

The space I have in the pre's belly says the cap has to be no more than about 1" in diameter, and 1.75" in length.  Tough options may be.

Thanks.

Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 05:31:17 PM »
Shek, not as cheap as you would like it to be but Sonic Craft has them listed at 399

http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php/jupiter-copper-c-301_38_416

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 06:05:37 PM »
Ya it's a 10uF. A tube preamp with high output impedance needs a big cap to prevent rolloff and phase error in low freqs. when driving low Zin SS amps. Compared to the original stock part, just about anything will be a noticeable improvement. Try jantzen Superior Z from Parts express. It is high voltage and a very nice sound. $45 ea

Avoid over-improving the Cary preamp. Put your money into a better overall design rather than into hotrod parts that you can never recover the cost. deHavilland ultraverve, etc...

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 10:26:58 AM »
What he said. :-)

.... Try jantzen Superior Z from Parts express. It is high voltage and a very nice sound. $45 ea..., etc...
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »

Yes, 10uf.  In fact there are 2 Solens in there.  I just replaced 1.  I did it, with an Auricap XO 10uf.  It is quite sizeable, like 1-1/4" diameter.  But, there's enough space to fit.  I did it over the weekend, and have played with it in several sessions.  It sure is better than the Solen. 

Recall I said the original sound had very good tonality, except bad transparency.  The Solen opened it up, but it "chilled" the sound.  The Auricap XO now gives me better imaging and transparency.  The sound is warmer than the Solen for sure.  But... I still miss the old sweet tonality.  Well, can't have everything.  AND, finally, I learned, the DIY game is very challenging.  I'd gain something, but lose something else kind of experience.

I am quite happy with the result now.  Will burn it more, see what happens.  Good $50 investment I guess. :beer:

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 02:56:29 AM »

Yes, 10uf.  In fact there are 2 Solens in there.  I just replaced 1.  I did it, with an Auricap XO 10uf.  It is quite sizeable, like 1-1/4" diameter.  But, there's enough space to fit.  I did it over the weekend, and have played with it in several sessions.  It sure is better than the Solen. 

Recall I said the original sound had very good tonality, except bad transparency.  The Solen opened it up, but it "chilled" the sound.  The Auricap XO now gives me better imaging and transparency.  The sound is warmer than the Solen for sure.  But... I still miss the old sweet tonality.  Well, can't have everything.  AND, finally, I learned, the DIY game is very challenging.  I'd gain something, but lose something else kind of experience.

I am quite happy with the result now.  Will burn it more, see what happens.  Good $50 investment I guess. :beer:

Update, if anyone cares at all.

Anyhow, at least I found out how $$$$ Jupiter caps are at the uf rating I need.  Fergit it, I told myself, ain't worth it for my DIY tiny preamp.

I may just "settle" down with the Auriocap XO.  It's given me good transparency/imaging, and better warmth than the Solen it replaced.  I realized this - what I needed in the sweetness I had used in the past is probably not going to happen for $50, even $100.  The sweetness I lost, and thought may be recoverable via a cap adjustment, is not that realistic. 

I FORGOT, the sweet sound I had been used to couple years ago was because of the excellent Meridian CD player.    Not going to spend $20K for a new Meridian player, as my audio craze is no longer.... I probably will play with hi-fi guys like y'all only occasionally.  I'm not as fanatic (no disrespect) as you guys anyway.  So, I should be OK with what I have now.

Thanks.  Hope somehow to see you guys here and there.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 05:24:07 AM »
If the Auricaps are transparent enough but not sweet enough you may try putting a paper and oil cap bypass over the Auricaps. You won't need anything more than a .1uF value, and you could even pick up some cheap Russian caps on e-bay to try it out and see if it brings anything back to the sound.

Just a thought.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 06:37:49 PM »
If the Auricaps are transparent enough but not sweet enough you may try putting a paper and oil cap bypass over the Auricaps. You won't need anything more than a .1uF value, and you could even pick up some cheap Russian caps on e-bay to try it out and see if it brings anything back to the sound.

Just a thought.

Thanks Bob.  I am aware of that.  Some other friends made that suggestion also.  Debating.  The one issue is the space available.  So, some research is needed.  The Auricap XO took up much of the remaining space in the tiny preamp's belly....  Will see.  Thanks.

Shek