Author Topic: Vinyl quality  (Read 4842 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Vinyl quality
« on: December 26, 2015, 07:26:13 PM »
Some of my oldest records have groove damage from playing on ceramic cartridge record changers when I was a kid. But weirdly, the Columbia issues largely escaped this damage and still sound great, even on high end TT.

Did Columbia use a different formulation of vinyl that could withstand abuse better than standard vinyl used by other labels?

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Vinyl quality
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 08:32:32 PM »
quite often the wear on records of long ago is located at the very top of the grooves  because the stylus tips of the day were much larger  than we see today and therefore rode way up high. it is not unusual for a modern cartridge with today's very small profile diamond tips id able to ride much lower in the groove , to the point where it is actually playing vinyl that was never physically touched by those old ceramic carts.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 03:29:59 PM »
Exactly Tom. I found that records I thought were old and damaged sounded better once I went to a fin line stylus, like a Shibata tip. The level of quiet increased quite a bit.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 05:50:59 PM »
same as me. I play some vinyl that is dead quiet like a CD and I  remember them as having surface noise when I had my Grado cartridge.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 07:42:22 PM »
Thanks all.

I don't know what shape stylus is on my clearaudio maestro v1. I think they use their own shape. The stylus tip looks much smaller than what I used when I was a kid.

All I could find relating to the tip shape of Clearaudio carts was this old article from Issue 1 of positivefeedbackonline.com:
"The family of moving magnet cartridges from ClearAudio includes the Alpha, the Beta ($350), the Beta-S ($450) and culminates with the Virtuoso Mk II ($850). It is an unusual specimen to my way of thinking as, like all of its lesser and greater siblings, it has a stylus profile of 4 by 40 micrometers. I’m used to the better-known and more pronounced elliptical shapes of the Shibata, line-contact, fine-line, van den Hul, and hyper-elliptical designs. Most of those stylus shapes have profiles of something like 3 or 4 by 65 to 80 micrometers. A little searching revealed that that Clearaudio’s stylus shape dates back to a late-1960s Japanese design purchased by Peter Suchy, Robert’s father, and still championed to this day."

Peter Suchy is the founder of Clearaudio, so it's maybe their proprietary stylus shape. I don't know whether my newer cart model still uses this shape, but if so, it implies that the tip is even narrower and able to ride even lower in the groove than Shibata. Could it be that I'm riding too low in the groove and hitting gunk driven down into the gutter?

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 08:29:12 PM »
Thanks all.

I don't know what shape stylus is on my clearaudio maestro v1. I think they use their own shape. The stylus tip looks much smaller than what I used when I was a kid.

All I could find relating to the tip shape of Clearaudio carts was this old article from Issue 1 of positivefeedbackonline.com:
"The family of moving magnet cartridges from ClearAudio includes the Alpha, the Beta ($350), the Beta-S ($450) and culminates with the Virtuoso Mk II ($850). It is an unusual specimen to my way of thinking as, like all of its lesser and greater siblings, it has a stylus profile of 4 by 40 micrometers. I’m used to the better-known and more pronounced elliptical shapes of the Shibata, line-contact, fine-line, van den Hul, and hyper-elliptical designs. Most of those stylus shapes have profiles of something like 3 or 4 by 65 to 80 micrometers. A little searching revealed that that Clearaudio’s stylus shape dates back to a late-1960s Japanese design purchased by Peter Suchy, Robert’s father, and still championed to this day."

Peter Suchy is the founder of Clearaudio, so it's maybe their proprietary stylus shape. I don't know whether my newer cart model still uses this shape, but if so, it implies that the tip is even narrower and able to ride even lower in the groove than Shibata. Could it be that I'm riding too low in the groove and hitting gunk driven down into the gutter?

Could be. Get that steamer out.  :D

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 06:51:55 AM »
Thanks Tom. Got one in my amazon wishlist

Offline tmazz

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 10:08:45 AM »
Too bad you are not up here. I see the hand held ones in the Crack House on a pretty regular basis.  8)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9