Author Topic: Hank Mobley Album - WTF  (Read 9748 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Hank Mobley Album - WTF
« on: March 22, 2011, 10:56:22 PM »
Does anyone know what the deal is with this album?

Hank Mobley on Blue Note 1568

It is listed on ebay right now.

The opening price was $2K and the current bid is just a hair under $3k.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=300537375001

I mean, I like Hank Mobley and all, but I am having a hard time figuring out what is so special about this album that bidding would start at $2k and increase another 50% before the auction closed. It's obviously worth it to somebody (actually several people who are all bidding), I just don't know why.

I've got to be missing something here. Anybody got an idea?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

lonewolfny42

Re: Hank Mobley Album - WTF
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:48:11 PM »
Lee Morgan is moving up as well....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lee-Morgan-Blue-Note-1575-/300537376797?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item45f96c701d

Must be the .....deep-groove...  :rofl:

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 05:36:40 AM »
Lee Morgan is moving up as well....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lee-Morgan-Blue-Note-1575-/300537376797?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item45f96c701d

Must be the .....deep-groove...  :rofl:

I don't know what it is, but I looked at that sellers other items and sorted them by price. The top 5 LPs are all going for between $1900 and $3K each and it is the same two guys fighting over them. The same guy is currently on top for all five of them with his bids totaling over 11 grand for 5 records.  :shock: (and who knows what else he is bidding on) That is a whole lot of dough for records. (BTW - The Mega Millions jackpot is up to $305M but unfortunately they won't be pulling the numbers until after these actions close)

I wonder if he is some kind of dealer looking to send these records overseas. 

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 05:45:13 AM »
...The same guy is currently on top for all five of them with his bids totaling over 11 grand for 5 records.  :shock: (and who knows what else he is bidding on)...

Hey Tom, do me a favor and ask the guy if he'd like to adopt us.  I don't know about you, but I sure could use a bigger weekly $$$ allowance!  Tell him we're willing to bring in the groceries from the car and take out the trash three times a week! :rofl:

Bill
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:18:18 AM »
It's an original Blue note, from the original issue. An it's in perfect condition. Original Blue notes are extremely collectible. The value is from the rareness and collectibility, not for the music. This is like an old Ferrari.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »
It's an original Blue note, from the original issue. An it's in perfect condition. Original Blue notes are extremely collectible. The value is from the rareness and collectibility, not for the music. This is like an old Ferrari.

Thanks for the insight Rich. That would explain why this was not on my radar screen. I'm a listener, not a collector. If a first edition has a particular sound to it that can't be replicated in other pressings (like the RCA? Reiner Pines of Rome that is one thing. But to just own a record simply because it is a first edition does nothing for me. I am sure that there are some collectors out there that think we are crazy for paying $50 for a great sounding 45 RPM reissue that anyone can walk into the store and buy right now. Hey to each his own.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 11:29:35 PM »
Just for kicks and giggles the auctions closed and the Hank Mobley ended up going for $3618 while the Lee Morgan went for "only" $ 3494  :shock: (The same guy won all four of the auctions I tracked, paying over $11K for 4 LPs - WOW!)

And just for a point of reference, the same Hank Mobley LP is being offered in a Japanese pressing for only $39 on an ebay buy it now listing. So Rich was right it,it looks like it was just a first edition thing.

(And I have five bucks that says the guy who bought them never lets them hit a turntable because they are "too valuable" to risk any damage that might happen while playing them.  :shock:)

Like I said before - to each is own............

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:32:45 PM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:48:33 AM »
And just for a point of reference, the same Hank Mobley LP is being offered in a Japanese pressing for only $39 on an ebay buy it now listing. So Rich was right it,it looks like it was just a first edition thing.

Or you can do what I did and buy a Blue Note reissue from Music Matters cut at 45RPM on two 180g long players, remastered by Steve Hoffman for about $50.  The sound is great and the LPs come in a very heavy, laminated gatefold jacket.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/48801/Hank_Mobley-Hank_Mobley-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 05:17:23 AM »
Good grief, these folks are crazy. Another guy has a copy of The Sidewinder for $100, and there's nothing special about it at all in the description. At least the crackhouse had a deep groove version of it when they wanted $100.

Meanwhile, the 2nd or 3rd last time I went there, as I entered the store Eleazar was standing there with a copy of The Sidewinder in hand for me he found in the new arrivals, same as this auction, for $8.

Why do stupid people get to have so much money?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lee-Morgan-The-Sidewinder-Blue-Note-4157-Record-LP_W0QQitemZ110632388968QQcategoryZ306QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DMRU-11233%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D300537376797%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7961379030673891918
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

jsaliga

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 05:49:45 AM »
Maybe, but the record you linked to isn't graded and the jacket looks pretty beat up.  After checking the feedback of the seller, lots of negatives do not inspire confidence.

An original scratched up or worn out piece of junk with a jacket like that isn't even worth 99 cents.  I'm not saying that $3,600 is good value for a minty original Blue Note pressing but obviously a few people think it is.  It seems to me that the specific details about that particular pressing is what drove up the price.  If the bidders have very deep pockets then I don't see that it matters.  I doubt the guy who bought it thought he was spending a lot of money.

Me, I'm in it for the music and have been very pleased with the 45RPM Music Matter reissues I have been buying.  And even at $50 per title I think it's a bit pricey but I keep on buying them.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:58:55 AM by jsaliga »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 08:02:34 AM »
Good grief, these folks are crazy. Another guy has a copy of The Sidewinder for $100, and there's nothing special about it at all in the description. At least the crackhouse had a deep groove version of it when they wanted $100.

Meanwhile, the 2nd or 3rd last time I went there, as I entered the store Eleazar was standing there with a copy of The Sidewinder in hand for me he found in the new arrivals, same as this auction, for $8.

Why do stupid people get to have so much money?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lee-Morgan-The-Sidewinder-Blue-Note-4157-Record-LP_W0QQitemZ110632388968QQcategoryZ306QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DMRU-11233%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D300537376797%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7961379030673891918

I am starting to get more an more into some of the early Blue Note recordings, but do not know much about the various record vintages themselves.  I have heard on a number of occasions people talking about "deepgroove" pressings. Does deepgroove have any particular importance to us as audiophiles ( like does this series sound significantly better that  other issues?) or is it just a marketing slogan. Put another way, if I am interested only in good sound and not at all about the rarity or collectability of the record should I care whether or not it is a deepgroove pressing.

Secondly, I don't think it is really a matter of why do stupid people get to have so much money. It's really not a matter of people with lots of money do stupid things, they may look stupid to someone who doesn't have the kind of money that they do. Let's look at it this way, If an average working guy makes $100K per year and a Corp. CEO makes $10 million then the CEO has an income that is 100 times more than the working guy. This would mean that if you looked at the purchase as a function of each man's income the CEO paying $3.6K for the record would be the equivalent of the working guy laying out $36. Not as crazy  as it looks at first glance.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 09:36:14 AM »
jerome -

Look at 4th or 5th para. at this link.

http://kleene.ss.uci.edu/~rmay/Bluenote.html
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

jsaliga

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »
I recall having read that article a while back.  Keep in mind that it was written 14 years ago.  So while the section on the collectibility of certain Blue Note Pressings still holds true for the most part, the comments about the street value of those records will probably no longer be valid.  At the end of the day the value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it.

$3,600 for one LP is too much scratch in my book.  But I have thrown down as much as $400 for a single record (a minty original Riverside pressing of Waltz for Debby).  I don't see myself doing that again anytime soon.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:00:10 AM by jsaliga »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 08:51:05 PM »
jerome -

Look at 4th or 5th para. at this link.

http://kleene.ss.uci.edu/~rmay/Bluenote.html

Nice primer on Blue Note recordings - Thanks  :thumb:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9