Author Topic: Speakers and room finally coming together  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
Speakers and room finally coming together
« on: March 01, 2008, 09:34:21 AM »
Been working on this room for a couple of years now after a remoldel by my wife and I. We finally found a rug that we both could live with as the hardwood floors were just a little to reflective. Even with some panels of 1 inch and 2 inch thick room treatments I thought would work.(they do but I'm certain the companies that design room treatments would disagree)  Would have been nice to been able to use 4 inch thick and pull them aways from the wall about 4 inches but the wife would never let that happen :( so I just did what I could get away with while having the WAF doubting but tolerating. :D

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=260

Had a Pioneer Elite 720( huge box) tv that always seemed to get in the way of the sounstage and even had the one rack custom made to lift the tv off the floor, looked really weird with the tv so high plus it didn't eliminate the soundstage problem. The new plasma has been a Godsend.

The speakers used for the bottom end are 4 Tad 1601A along with the JBL 2470 Martinelli horn midrange along with the JBL 2404 for the top. I have to tell you, these speakers kick out some major SPL's and sound fantastic.My friend Steve had these custom made and spared no expense in the crossover design dropping a cool 2k in the crossovers alone.Ouch
 I have these speakers crossing in front of the sweetspot about 1 meter , Stunning soundstage and dynamics and realism of musicians playing in the room, I'm sure the EL156 monoblocks have something to do with this.
 Just thought I would share my joy :D
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Black Sand Cable

Re: Speakers and room finally coming together
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 10:01:51 AM »
Jeeeez Bill! How big are those speakers? They look massive!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 11:47:56 AM »
Lookin good Bill!! The house looks very cool pad. Congrats to you and Carolyn on the decorating.  You got a lot of EE gear in that rack huh??  :rofl:  The acoustic fabric looks great too.
Rich

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »
Man, those are some fine looking monoblocks  :drool:
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »
Hi John,

I've had bigger speakers as I had the original blueprints from Tannoy for making a GRF Professional cabinet. (8 foot folded horn) that were specifically built for some Tannoy Silver 15's that I picked up from a gent down in Australia years ago. When I ended selling the cabs to a guy in Canada the shipping weight was 890 lbs. I always thought  :rofl:" man it really takes a lot of effort to move these around"
  Back to the speakers at hand, really not to bad at 63 inches high by 25.5 wide by 22 deep. When I first brought them home the little misses told me "No Way" but after trying them in different spots in the room this has satisfied her disapproval at first and now loves the way the room looks, plus she says they sound great. Oh to blessed with a good wife. :D

My first shipment of monoblocks have arrived in Chicago and have cleared customs so hopefully Monday or Tuesday I'll have them delivered according to my shipper. Can't wait. They look really cool at night , my only regret is hiding them in the rack as I enjoy looking at lit up tubes. Maybe I will use the 2 timbernation amp stands that hold the sculpture "LA Dove" that my wife picked up for me for my 40th birthday some 14 years ago to bring out the amps. I'm positive I'll put them to use no matter what as I have to break in a few extra amps before they get sent off for reviews.
 I'm just having a blast lately with my system and thru all the years this system has brought me the most satisfaction.It's just a source of great joy.
 Thanks for letting me share.
 Bill
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

miklorsmith

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 08:38:10 AM »
That looks like a superlative job, top to bottom.  You're a lucky man.