Author Topic: Hearing Test  (Read 3755 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Hearing Test
« on: December 10, 2014, 06:56:40 AM »
This one is pretty good, but you should use headphones and turn the volume up a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5l4Rt4Ol7M

Using my portable Koss Sportapro's I got 15.6 on my work laptop. That was primarily in my left ear. I got 14.3 in my right ear just cupping that one and pulling the left earpad off my left ear. The volume setting makes a difference too - harder to hear at lower volmes.

Better phones, or closed headphones or a better soundcard might make a difference too - so this is just an estimation

Oh yeah, I'm 55 so anything around 16K is likely decent at my age. It will be interesting to see in general if younger guys hear can hear higher.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: Hearing Test
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 07:44:36 AM »
Hey Bob

You have to post in CAPS, I can't hear you in lower case!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bill
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »
15,800 @49.5yo  but it clicked on suddenly as if there was nothing happening before it. If it is a continual sweep then my hearing should fade in right? It was a pure turn on transient. I'll check it out.

I didn't think I could even hear that high anymore. I was playing test tones in JRiver the other night, I couldn't hear shit until it got down to 10k, I thought my ears were shot. Later I realized I was sitting at the computer which is beside and behind the speakers, far away from the HF beam of the tweeter.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 11:45:25 AM »
Uh-oh   :lmc:

1st pic full scale, shows silence between countdown and audible tone at 56 secs.

2nd pic zooms vertical 20x on the silent portion. Nothing.

3rd pic shows freq of a snippet from the beginning of the tone. 10,300Hz.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:48:40 AM by richidoo »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
15,800 @49.5yo  but it clicked on suddenly as if there was nothing happening before it. If it is a continual sweep then my hearing should fade in right? It was a pure turn on transient. I'll check it out.

Yeah, I felt like it did the same thing for me. All of a sudden it seemed to be there. Repeated tries yielded  different results, especially when I tried to do this with only left ear or only right ear.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »
ahhh don't worry about it. Since have hearing loss I have studied quite a bit about it. It turns out that just because someone may have hearing loss (speech discrimination) doesn't mean they will have problems hearing music. speech is different. Sometimes I will ask my wife "whats that noise" and she'll say what noise? YOU hear THAT?!! and you have difficulty hearing when people speak to you!? She can't understand...
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 06:28:00 AM »
  Hearing test smearing test. hearing is overrated. I just measure everything and never listen. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumb:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.