Author Topic: Do you have an audiophile will?  (Read 5971 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Do you have an audiophile will?
« on: July 16, 2013, 09:27:40 AM »
Seriously, have you included the disposition of your system (in whole or in part), the many thousands of CD's and albums, and all the other associated paraphinalia in your will, or in a codicil for your SO, or at least in some kind of verbal agreement on how your hobby and passion should be disposed of when you pass beyond?

I've at least told my wife that anything she or my girls don't want should NOT be tossed to the curb or given to my greedy brothers in law. One or more of my close audiophile buddies should be consulted on how best to list them on Audiogon or e-Bay for resale.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: Do you have an audiophile will?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 09:48:37 AM »
I honestly haven't given this one much thought.  (Then again, I haven't made out a general Last Will & Testament either!)

I guess, I should ask my kids first. (I don't think Cathi would be bothered with my system when I'm gone...???) Oddly enough, my guess would be that my daughter would want more than my son. Not because she "wants" more, but she'd be more nostalgic about having it.  I think my son would only be interested in my jazz CD's at best.

Maybe it's a good idea to have this conversation with the three of them!?!

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:22:13 AM »
Seriously, have you included the disposition of your system (in whole or in part), the many thousands of CD's and albums, and all the other associated paraphinalia in your will, or in a codicil for your SO, or at least in some kind of verbal agreement on how your hobby and passion should be disposed of when you pass beyond?

I've at least told my wife that anything she or my girls don't want should NOT be tossed to the curb or given to my greedy brothers in law. One or more of my close audiophile buddies should be consulted on how best to list them on Audiogon or e-Bay for resale.

Unfortunately my freind passed away a couple of months ago and he was an audiophile with a decent amount of equipment. He was young (mid fifties) and his illness was unexpected (salmonella). I wonder whoever gets the equipment would even know what it is or appreciate it?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

GT Audio Works

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »
I want to be lashed to my speakers with speaker cable,
A Telefunken 12AT7 in my mouth for the audio ferryman.
Lit on fire and set adrift, while Louie sings St. James Infirmary. 
                  Greg

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:36:24 AM »
                  Greg

I like it! :thumb:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »
 I think my wife will be calling 1-800- Got Junk when I depart.... :?

Better get over here fast..... :rofl:

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:37:37 AM »

No, better yet she should rent one of the storage units park the stuff there then call up the producers of Storage Wars and tell them she's willing to put the contents up for auction for a cut of the money.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 07:37:20 AM »

I'm glad I live close by!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline spudco

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 07:44:12 AM »
As I faced an extremely poor prognosis last year, my wife and I faced this issue and we came to the conclusion that the accumulations of our lives have meaning and value only to us.  Those who survive us will probably sell off most or all of our property without sentimentality and probably apply the proceeds to endeavors that would deeply disappoint us.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 09:42:04 AM »
My older daughter will probably take all my prog CD's. That's about it.

My younger daughter wants all the rock CD's and albums. She will want my TT too, and my old speakers (which are sitting around because she said she wants them some day when she gets her own place. I will be holding on to these for another 8-10 years I bet.)

My wife will be reluctant to get rid of anything else because it was mine and it would remind me of her. She would never use it (doesn't know how), but sentimentality would keep her from selling it.

Grant may want his old Apogees back for sentimental reasons also, or possibly to make an awesome surround sound home theater system.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 11:30:18 AM »
Im sure my cougar wife and her 25 year old boyfriend will be enjoying my system.
Funny how she would never listen with me.
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 12:48:49 PM »
                  Greg
Kinky ;)
Before I die Im going to  so old that Im reduced to the intellect of a 12 year old and use my index finger to poke holes in all my drivers. After that my uncontrollable bladder urges will take care of the rest! :)
Its cool ndude.

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 05:15:29 AM »
I'm afraid to count the pieces of audio gear, records, guitars, etc. I've bought from older gents who no longer had a use or the interest in keeping it around. I heard many reasons - downsizing and moving being the most prominent but also to fund trips, pay bills, tuition or weddings for grandkids or they just needed the cash.

One of my most memorable bitter/sweet buys came about when I responded to an ad in the paper and met a fella in his mid '60's selling 3 nice guitars - a '72 Les Paul Custom, a '71 ES-175 and a '70 Martin D-28, all in great shape and well-cared for. As I checked them out, he told me that he hadn't been able to play them for years as he had arthritis and it hurt to even hold the guitars but he had held onto them because he met his wife while playing and through the years, she had always enjoyed singing along as he strummed. Sadly, she had passed a few months before and he had realized that the guitars were just reminding him that he couldn't play and had no one to play for so they had to go. He said his kids had no interest and no idea of their value so he took it upon himself, but man!... I could tell this was not easy for him as he was letting go of a lot more than just 3 guitars. It took me about 15 minutes to decide on the guitars but we spent a couple of hours talking, mainly I think, to give him some assurance that his guitars were going to a good home but also so he could tell his story and pass it along.

I've made many deals with folks for whom the switch just went 'off' and they no longer wanted the gear taking up space and somewhere in the back of my head, that's kinda how I hope it goes down with me...on my terms. But the ones that stick with me are the fellas who are still interested and loving their hobby but are no longer able or capable of continuing. In my mind, that's gotta be some level of hell.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 05:54:18 AM »
But the ones that stick with me are the fellas who are still interested and loving their hobby but are no longer able or capable of continuing. In my mind, that's gotta be some level of hell.

Yeah, I know of a few who have started to lose hearing in one, or both ears. Not just high frequencies, or tinnitus, but serious hearing loss. The one's that push through that into other hobbies usually find a way to cope.

Hell, we've all given up things during the course of our lives while getting married, raising a family, catering to wishes and needs greater than your own (giving up or seriously cutting back on skiing, golf, dart team, softball, playing in the band, etc.)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 09:37:14 AM »
Interesting question....  I have made mention of my audio gear and all my CDs in our living trust just so that my brother and his wife don't give away the stuff. This kinda reminds me of when my wife and I moved from our house in California. We spent a lot of money and effort and had a beautiful back yard that included a pond and waterfall. The new owners mover in and ripped out the grass, plants and water feature and turned it into a concrete pad. You just don't have any control when you're gone
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS