Poll

Are you an equipment polygamist or a faithful monogamist?

A music lover first with just one equipment partner
2 (12.5%)
A music lover with multiple equipment partners
10 (62.5%)
A true sufferer of Audionervosa, music is secondary and collecting is the goal
1 (6.3%)
The seeker of the audio tree of life, I am on the quest for that mythical combination
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: April 07, 2007, 04:38:44 PM

Author Topic: Am I an equipment hoarder or a music lover?  (Read 9222 times)

Black Sand Cable

I'm a collector......
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 12:12:17 PM »
I have a hard time getting rid of stuff I come across and as a result I'm currently sitting on:

9 - Speakers (7 in use all in one HT system)
1 - Sub woofer (In use)
7 - Amps (3 in use)
3 - Receivers (1 in use)
1 - Tube Pre
3 - Universal Players (1 in use)
3 - Various wireless music systems (1 in use)

I'm a bad hoarder.....so bad in fact that two of the amps listed above have never even been hooked up! It's on my "To do" list but I never seem to find the time. I get a lot of people emailing me asking to swap gear for cords and more often than not, I agree as I find myself curious on trying out what they are offering.

I really enjoy trying out new gear and as a result my system is never the same and it's always changing. As I get older though moving 80 pound amps in and out of my system isn't as much fun as it use to be!

With the addition of my new speakers several sets of speakers are on the way out and also a few amps as my current set-up is not doing what I want it to do with the HT8's.....but that will be down the road as I tend to procrastinate when it comes time to sell something. I HATE with a passion selling stuff off as the days of people emailing an offer seem to be long gone. Now it's "what is your best price shipped to?" I always ignore those myself as the potential buyer is feeling me out with no commitment and for some reason I don't like that. I prefer actual offers even if they are low as it at least shows some level of interest.

AcidJazz

Am I an equipment hoarder or a music lover?
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 03:42:47 PM »
Man... I certainly fit in here... having a hard time letting stuff go. Well, actually my digital camera broke some months ago, so until I get a new one I cannot post pics with any ads... so my selling side is kinda backed up.
I probably have over a dozen amps, about 8 preamps, 2dvd players, 2cd players, 2 turntables(+one that got broken in shipping), 3pairs of speakers, not counting my HT 7.1 set-up, plus a few pairs of drivers for DIY projects I never got to.
Most of those are budget or pro amps, no high end expensive stuff.
My apt space has shrunk considerably in the 5-6years since I moved in. Sometimes I feel like the stuff is squeezing me out of my apt. And of course my music collection keeps growing too. Help!  :oops:

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 05:56:47 PM »
BOY...you guys are making me feel MUCH better :wink: !

It's comforting to know that I am not the only one that seems to hang onto most of his equipment from prior systems, or parts of systems.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

jrebman

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 05:47:31 AM »
Man, I thought I had this thing under control and then I read this and was forced to write down my inventory and come to terms with it:

4 pairs of speakers
4 amps -- 1 vintage SS receiver, 1 SET, 1 vintage tube integrated, and pair of digital monoblocks
1 preamp
1 phono stage (under construction)
1 sub
1 digital EQ
2 turntables
1 cassette deck
2 open reel decks
1 vintage graphic EQ2 squeezeboxes
3 squeezebox power supplies
1 DVD/multiplayer
1 dedicated 1.2 TB music server
lots of wire, terminations, brass goodies, maple goodies, squishy goodies, and an ever-growing selection of NOS tubes.

... and if I listed everything that's been through here in the past 2 years I think I'd cry.

If it's any consolation, I am trying to pare this down to a sane level, and writing all this down sure helps with motivatiion for that... only 11 steps to go...

-- Jim