Author Topic: Help me choose a streamer  (Read 29575 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Help me choose a streamer
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »
OK, I'm rising this post up from the depths because I'm trying to do video streaming in my HT room.  I have a PS3 (older version) that has a faulty network card.  It cannot connect above about 6mbps.  It cannot use an ethernet connection either.  It simply will not work... I've tried everything. My partner in IT that is super technical and knows PS3's intimately could not get it to work on ethernet.

So, I'm on wifi and it usually finds itself at 2-4mbps.  Any other laptop on wireless gets 20mbps.  So, I get a buffering problem trying to watch movies.  (BTW, I have all new, high quality networking equipment)  The PS3 otherwise works flawlessly and I have a keyboard, remote, and extra controller invested.

I can either replace the PS3 with a new one and check to make sure the network connection is good.... OR... get a ROKU or other good streaming player.  I like the idea of the ROKU.

I don't want to spend hours learning and configuring just to watch movies on occasion.  I'd watch more if I didn't have to wait so long.  The Apple TV is interesting too...

Originally I was thinking of getting a Blu-ray with the streaming but I haven't seen anything as easy or useful as the ROKU.

Any thoughts or opinions about my situation are appreciated.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 10:02:42 AM »
Factory reset the PS3? Supposedly your user data will not be erased, but network passwords might be erased.

Did you try connecting directly to internet modem, bypass the router?

Try connecting ethernet to another network, maybe directly to a PC or another networking device than you are using now.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 07:35:36 AM »
Rich,
I've tried all that. My ps3 has a faulty network card. I even plugged the same Ethernet cable into my laptop and immediately got an ip and fast Internet speed.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 07:43:51 AM »
use the PC in the room already?  or swap to another PC that can support what you want?

what exactly do you mean by streaming?  using one of the built in services like netflix or using it as a media player for files you have stored on network?  you tube??

I've avoided the little media boxes because they usually have weird copy protections in place that cause issues or they don't have enough horsepower to stream a BD across the network in full 1080P....

I've got a few options here at my place depending on what you're trying to do...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 08:41:58 AM »
Mainly I want to watch Amazon Prime videos without waiting for it to buffer multiple times... on HD.  Non-HD still stops to buffer so it's sort of a pain regardless.  I also need it to be easy.  I turn it on and start watching.. not, figure out how to set it up for a week, then have it work sometimes, then flake out, then need updates before I can use it... etc... The PS3 needs an update every 3rd time I watch... annoying.

The Roku box comes with a bunch of preset 'channels' and I can use it kind of like a TV cable box.. but fed by the internet.

I would sign up for Hulu plus also.  I don't care for Netflix... Amazon Prime offers about the same amount of crappy movies but for less money. (last I checked)

Oh, I want to get rid of a PC in the room... I want no fans.  The PC I have is nice but needs more memory to run Windows 7..