Author Topic: Usher Dancer Mini 2  (Read 24448 times)

Bigfish8

Usher Dancer Mini 2
« on: October 30, 2009, 06:25:02 PM »
Guys:

I am the lucky person that Shane is allowing to break-in his brand spanking new Usher Mini Dancer 2 Speakers.  Shane delivered the Mini Dancers this afternoon and while small as compared to the Usher BE-20's they are not tiny speakers.  I hope to be able to post pictures tomorrow but they are roughly 10" wide across the face, approximately 48" tall, have a beautiful walnut cabinet and weigh approximately 95 lbs.  Of course my wife loves the way they look in the room with the comment "they look like a fine piece of furniture."

Prior to bringing in the brand new, unopened speaker boxes Shane and I spent a few minutes listening to my system with the Timepieces.  Since Shane last heard the system I have moved the speakers to a near field listening position and have added the dedicated 20 amp lines/outlets.  Shane commented it was the first time he had heard the Timepieces with a distinct sound stage that was 3 feet behind the speakers.  Trust me, when I say my system sounds the very best it has ever sounded.

We bring in the Mini Dancer 2's and move the SP Tech Timepieces to the rear of room.  My Timepieces are in the studio black finish and to be honest have a plain monitor speaker appearance.  The initial reaction to the Mini Dancer 2's is that they are very distinctive looking.   Black Face with two dark cloth covered (approximately 7") speakers in the upper half of the speaker face with a silver accented tweeter between the two cloth covered speakers.  The entire rear portion of the speaker is a curved walnut wood.  As stated earlier my wife thinks they are beautiful.

I should note I have never had any speakers in this system other than the SP Tech Timepieces.  Shane offered me the opportunity to break-in these new speakers for him and he wanted me to have the opportunity to hear different speakers in my room.  They are new and tight out of the box and you quickly realize the Mine Dancer 2's do not have the bass of the Timepieces but they seem to have a more refined midrange.  Position wise, the Mini Dancers are moved back into the original position that I had the Timepieces until very recently.  In this position the Timepieces did not have a distinct sound stage, in this room, while the Tiny Dancers do and they are brand new. 

I wanted to post some initial thoughts about the Mini Dancer 2's and will continue to post updates as I spend more time with them.  I am hopeful that Shane will allow me to keep them for 2 to 3 weeks and until just before I have to part with them I will not put the Timepieces back into the system.  I spoke with another friend today and he told me I should let my brain adjust to the new sound and then put the Timepieces back into the system. 

My initial reaction to the Mini Dancer 2's is:

1.  They are beautiful with very high WAF.
2.  They do not over power the room with boomy bass but they produce a full range of sound.
3.  They produce sound in a relaxed, enjoyable style.
4.  They have excellent midrange and upper-end detail.
5.  I enjoy listening to them.

I really appreciate the opportunity Shane has provided to me and encourage anyone interested to contact him and arrange an audition of these speakers.

Ken
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:10:59 PM by Bigfish8 »

lonewolfny42

Re: Usher Tiny Dancer 2's
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 06:50:57 PM »
Ken...

You should change your thread title to .... Usher Dancer Mini Two ...that's what it's called. :thumb:

http://www.usheraudiousa.com/products/loudspeakers/dancer-series/dancer_mini_two

Bigfish8

Re: Usher Tiny Dancer 2's
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 07:06:02 PM »
Ken...

You should change your thread title to .... Usher Dancer Mini Two ...that's what it's called. :thumb:

http://www.usheraudiousa.com/products/loudspeakers/dancer-series/dancer_mini_two

Hi Chris:

Thanks for the catch and I have made a correction.

Ken

lonewolfny42

Re: Usher Dancer Mini 2
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 07:11:42 PM »
 8) .....I think you'll have fun Ken.

They are similar to the Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers in design/style....but the Usher's sound better. :thumb:

Mike L

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 10:09:44 PM »
I look forward to read what you think of these as they break in.  If they are better than the Adagios I really want to hear them.

Regards,
Mike

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 05:43:26 AM »
Ken
What gear are you running with the Ushers? A friend a mine has the Be-718 and he has not stopped raving about them. You are surely in for a treat. With a little time for break-in, they should be a keeper. If I were you I would keep a tight hold on my wallet. Beware of Shane bringing over stuff for a listen. If these Ushers sound better than my Adagios (that shane brought over for a listen), you and your wallet are in trouble. Hehehehe.

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Bigfish8

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 06:08:24 AM »
Ken
What gear are you running with the Ushers? A friend a mine has the Be-718 and he has not stopped raving about them. You are surely in for a treat. With a little time for break-in, they should be a keeper. If I were you I would keep a tight hold on my wallet. Beware of Shane bringing over stuff for a listen. If these Ushers sound better than my Adagios (that shane brought over for a listen), you and your wallet are in trouble. Hehehehe.

Henry

Hi Henry:

I have never heard the Adagios but have only read very good things about them.  Yes, I am worried about my wallet but Shane has kind of emptied my funds recently through selling me JPS ICs and SCs. :duh

My system is composed of the following:

Odyssey Mono SE's
Mapletree 2A SE -- Sylvania VT-231s (6SN7 Tubes)
ModWright Modified Transporter -- EML 5U4G Mesh Rectifier and 6SN7 Tung Sol Round Plates
JPS SC-3 SCs and ICs
Black Sand Silver MK-V PCs to AMPs, Preamp and Transporter
Dedicated 20 AMP Outlets fed by 10 guage Romex
Room treated with bass traps and wall panels.

Shane has offered me a great learning experience and I will keep you posted as I spend more time with these jewels.

Ken
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 06:48:44 AM by Bigfish8 »

Offline Captain Humble

• Seeking Help
    • http://www.DodiesSeafood.com
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 06:47:32 AM »
Here's a review on the Mini Dancer II's by Chris Martens from Absolute Sound.

http://www.avguide.com/review/playback-23-usher-audio-mini-dancer-two-floorstanding-loudspeaker
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit,
what a ride!"

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 07:11:35 AM »
Hey Jeff! Welcome to AN! Glad to have ya!~
Rich

Offline Captain Humble

• Seeking Help
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
Hey Jeff! Welcome to AN! Glad to have ya!~
Rich
Thanks Rich.
Actually I've been here since its inception.
I just don't get out much. :lol:
what a ride!"

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 07:29:12 AM »
Congrats on the new speakers too Jeff

Offline Captain Humble

• Seeking Help
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 07:44:48 AM »
Congrats on the new speakers too Jeff
Thanks Rich.
The reason I paid a visit is because Bigfish told me he had posted his initial impressions on the Mini Dancer II's here.  Stan and Carter set up the Mini II's they had at RMAF in my room earlier this week.  Mine are broken in and sound very nice.  They're going to get me the walnut model that Ken is breaking in.

I crawled out of bed at 4:30 this morning to spin some tunes.
I must like them.  :thumb:

Thanks for turning me on to this thread Ken.
Jeff
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:46:26 AM by Captain Humble »
what a ride!"

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 09:30:10 AM »
I look forward to hearing them at some point too, maybe up at Ken's after burn in.

Offline Captain Humble

• Seeking Help
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 11:19:27 AM »
They're going to get me the walnut model that Ken is breaking in.
I should have said, I'm going to get a new pair in walnut like the ones Ken is breaking in. :duh
what a ride!"

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »
That's good Jeff because based on Ken's initial report, Stan might need a chisel and hammer to get them away from Ken and Vera. 

Oops, sorry Ken, I'm supposed to be helping to protect your wallet, not encouraging you, right?