Author Topic: For those who want to potentially improve and/or maintain excellent hearing..  (Read 6214 times)

Offline dB Audio Labs

For those who want to potentially improve and/or maintain excellent hearing! :thumb:

(I myself have been taking an NAD supplement (Elysium) for over a year for its anti-aging, mitochondria improvement effects. I just learned recently that it also has been shown to assist in hearing preservation as well!. Yes!)

Study released: Activation of SIRT3 by the NAD+ precursor nicotinamide riboside protects from noise-induced hearing loss

Journal: Cell Metabolism

Subject: Mice

Key Finding: “We find that administration of NR, even after noise exposure, prevents noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) and spiral ganglia neurite degeneration. These effects are mediated by the NAD+-dependent mitochondrial sirtuin, SIRT3, since SIRT3-overexpressing mice are resistant to NIHL and SIRT3 deletion abrogates the protective effects of NR and expression of NAD+ biosynthetic enzymes.”

Key Finding, Explained: Giving mice nicotinamide riboside, a precursor to NAD+, prevented noise-induced hearing loss.

Full paper of study and findings her
e - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4940130/

Cheers,

Eric Hider - dB Audio Labs

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Problems with Elysium's buseness model, among other things.
https://www.right-of-assembly.org/single-post/2017/08/16/Why-I-Feel-Suckered-by-Elysium-Health
Scotty

Offline _Scotty_

Potential alternatives to Elysium.
Niagen
https://goo.gl/27jE1g
pTeroPure
https://goo.gl/RoczFP
Scotty
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:32:35 PM by _Scotty_ »

Offline dB Audio Labs

Scotty,

I think there are over 20 different high quality sources (other high quality supplement companies) that also offer nicotinamide riboside other than the company Elysium, which you seem to point to as having potential issues as a company?

Hence, this study is not about Elysium, it is about the exciting findings of nicotinamide riboside and it's potential benefits on hearing! As far as getting my nicotinamide riboside from the company Elysium, I managed to snag the nicotinamide riboside they sell at less than 30 percent of current sales cost. That made it easy for me to go this route initially for this compound.

As of today there are quite a few peer based articles and many different tirals on what nicotinamide riboside can activate within the cell's mitochondria, And now they are also finding supporting evidence that point to hearing protection as well.

If these peer based studies show any merit for hearing improvement or haring protection, I say as an ardent audiophile - "YEE HA!"  :thumb:

Cheers,

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:36:48 PM by dB Audio Labs »

Offline _Scotty_

You got good deal on the supplement. It looks like I can the patented Chromodex supplement components from a couple of other companies,Pteropure Pterostilbene  NIAGEN Nicotinamide Riboside + SIRTUIN Ultra Pteropure Pterostilbene.
I want to give these a try and see if they help with the intermittent ringing in my ears.
Sometimes it is hard to get to sleep without a source of white noise running in the background.
Scotty

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Fortunately, my hearing is still quite good. It’s encouraging to know there are supplements out there
that can provide such benefits
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dB Audio Labs

As to potential sources and the understanding of daily dosages:

- Here is an excellent video discussing both the research, potential "cause and effect" of the compound. And, an overview in the last 5 minutes of the video, some various "known quality" comparative supplement companies offering it.

- I myself am seriously impressed this guy's years of credentials, his very deep understanding of micro-biology, the "cause and effect" on human cellular interaction of compounds and how they actually work within the body.

- As a final measure of his recommendations and the video overview, he doesn't make a dime with any of his recommendations.  :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTX7vMhexCc

Cheers,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Thanks Eric. Also stay away from loud noise as much as possible

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mfsoa

I got some nice Etymotic (sp?) earplugs for when I play drums - World of difference for the better