Author Topic: Desktop (computer) speakers  (Read 12686 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Desktop (computer) speakers
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 10:47:58 AM »
Quote from: BobM  ........(I never should have dug deeper into this thing to begin with)

[/quote

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 10:56:57 AM »
Oh, you got the itch!   Hell, just reading your posts got me rethinking my desktop speakers.

Here's something to checkout on Massdrop.com...  The Kanto YU5s.   I've heard a pair of Kanto and thought they were every bit as good as the Audioengines.   

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kanto-yu5-speaker-system

These are currently selling on Massdrop for $229 (MSRP $449 but you can get them on Amazon for $300+).

Massdrop is an interesting business model.  I've seen some really great prices on good audiogear there. 

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 06:36:14 PM »
You might want to look into the Equator D5 speakers. They are excellent and inexpensive
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 05:34:31 AM »
There really are quite a hell of a lot of these small, self-powered recording studio monitors about. This is an aspect of the "audiophile" hobby that I never explored before. I guess they are perfect for a small in-home recording studio, and probably all of them would make awesome computer desktop speakers.

It seems like Guitar Center carries quite a few of these brands, and that makes an easy audition. I might have to take a ride to my local GC this weekend and check a few of them out.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 07:00:06 AM »
These...
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kanto-yu5-speaker-system
You can play whatever you want from your iPhone. Improved bluetooth aptX for CD quality or near..
Its cool ndude.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 03:12:01 PM »
Adam is sposed to make some good powered speakers

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 05:35:11 AM »
I'm changing my way of thinking just a wee bit. I have a pair of small AR speakers sitting around doing nothing. Their footprint is just about the same size as any of these powered speakers. I can use these for the desktop, but then I need an amplifier with an integrated USB DAC that is small enough to sit on the desktop and provide enough power to drive these speakers.

Class D to the rescue I think. Does anyone know of one that is inexpensive and have at least 25 watts of power (preferably more)?

I saw this one over at HifiMeDIY.com and it looks very interesting. It also works with higher sampling rates than standard CD.

http://hifimediy.com/amplifiers/ready-made-amplifiers/ud80-digital-amplifier

- Fully digital amplification
- Up to 2 x 80W at 8 ohm, 2x50W at 4 ohm
- Accept sample rates 32khz, 44.1khz, 48khz, 88.2khz, 96khz and 16 and 24 bits
- USB input (no analog inputs!!) Asynchronous USB mode
- No drivers for Windows, Mac and Linux. Some iPad's and - Android devices also works.

- Dimensions: 12.5cm x 9cm x 3.8cm including volume knob

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 06:33:04 AM »
Might be more than you want to spend...  but this is a great deal right now at Music Direct:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-2701-wadia-151-powerdac-mini.aspx

I've had a couple customers bring this piece with them to demo Harbeth speakers at my place... I was impressed with its capability to drive the speakers well and sound great as a combo.... nice little compact setup with Wadia engineering in the high rez DAC... at $1200 MSRP it wouldn't have been my first choice as a go to recommendation... but at the closeout price of $495?  That's a great value, imo...

no affiliation at all obviously with the seller, Music Direct... I like to be the one giving the good deal :)... but when I see others offering a great option, worth spreading the word...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 06:38:11 AM »
on the Kanto stuff...  I got some of their stuff a while back after hearing a pair at Carlman's house...  really stinkin' good powered speakers... I actually like them a little better than the audio engine speakers at the time... the newer ones being linked above were not as good sounding overall as the older models... might be why they are massdropping them?  Actually I have a demo set sitting on my desktop that Carlman was supposed to take... If I ever finish the damn new website, I'll get off my lazy ar$e and post them up for sale... I need the real estate space on the desktop... too many darn headphones and desktop DAC/headamps piled up here :)  some would argue it's not exactly a bad problem to have :) hahaha
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 11:50:30 AM »
There's also several SMSL amp's with varying price and power points. SA-36, SA-50, SA-80 (all dirt cheap on e-bay)

All T-Amps, but that may be totally appropriate for a nearfield desktop. It's not like I'm going to power anything in my main system with these.

Need to check into them further.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 07:35:21 AM »
The SMSL SA-36 T-amp uses the RPA3118D2 chip, which is supposed to be the one that makes some music magic. It only puts out 30 watts *2, but that should be sufficient for a desktop setup, I would think. It's basically RCA audio in, and speakers out with a volume control. No headphone jack and no subwoofer out. What do you expect for about $50? I think the one with the upgraded 24V power supply would be best. Going to order this and see what happens.

It will also allow me to select whatever USB DAC I want, and HifimeDIY has a nice small SABRE USB DAC for about $60 that might be a great starting point. I have their SABRE Android DAC to use with my phone and like it a lot.

So this is the combo. We will see how it all goes/sounds once the shipments arrive.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:17:24 AM by BobM »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 07:54:43 AM »

djdube525

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 11:12:50 AM »
It will also allow me to select whatever USB DAC I want, and HifimeDIY has a nice small SABRE USB DAC for about $60 that might be a great starting point. I have their SABRE Android DAC to use with my phone and like it a lot.

If you don't want to "futz" with the DIY part, still want small... the Audioengine Dragonfly v1 is still at $99 on Amazon. Not much more, and fairly compact solution.

Linky

djdube525

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
FWIW... A few folks has mentioned the Kanto on massdrop... I noticed massdrop is offering the Kanto Sub8 as well now... could go as low as $169.

In the event someone got the others and wanted to pair a sub.