Author Topic: Desktop (computer) speakers  (Read 12677 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Desktop (computer) speakers
« on: October 22, 2014, 05:36:59 AM »
My daughter asked for some new desktop speakers for her dorm room at college. They need to play off the mini-jack on her Android phone, or her laptop, and be fairly small. I know there are tons of these out there, so I am looking for recommendations on what might be appropriate and sound good, without a separate subwoofer. And priced right.

Thanks,
Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Desktop (computer) speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:14:11 AM »
I use a pair of Audioengine A2s and love them for exactly this purpose.   I believe the newer A2+ version also has USB input with an internal DAC.

Another way to go is just a bluetooth speaker (or 2) like the Jawbone or Ultimate Ears which can't be beat for portability although I doubt sound quality is as good as the A2s.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 07:16:26 AM »
Heard these at the Brooklyn Audio Show.  They were really good, but I don't know if they're over her/your budget?

http://www.vanatoo.com/

Have fun shopping!

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:37:49 AM »
  The Vanatoo speakers are IMO KABOOM for the buck. Bass was very impressive with presence and slam. Just  hook up an Iphone and be very happy. The Audio engine IMO is VG but these are spectacular especially for the money.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »
 The Vanatoo speakers are IMO KABOOM for the buck. Bass was very impressive with presence and slam. Just  hook up an Iphone and be very happy. The Audio engine IMO is VG but these are spectacular especially for the money.

charles

+1

At $500 these impressed me more than most of the $100K+ systems at athe show.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:54:29 AM »
Would the Emotiva Airmotiv power speakers work for the dorm room situation?

https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/airmotiv-4s

Not too pricey and Emotiva does have a good return policy. That and in their forum people turnover gear like crazy. You could either get these used at a great deal or sell them rather quickly.

I haven't heard them myself but it got good reviews from various people.

I have a strong bias towards KEF speakers and I would really want to try these for a desktop situation.

http://www.kefdirect.com/kef-x300a-powered-digital-hifi-system.html

I don't know if these are based off the KEF Q300 speakers but if they are you don't have to use a subwoofer with them for most music. I've had the KEF Q300s in the past and depending on amplification you could really get a good all around sound and pretty good bass from them. They were great for nearfield listening.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 07:58:18 AM »
They are small as far as speakers go, but still may not be small enough to fit in the dorm room space she wll need t use then in. (I woulddn't consider them small as far as computer speakers go, but then again, they don't sound like computer speakers either.)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 10:11:13 AM »
Thanks guys, these are some good recommendations, but still above the price point for a college student/dorm. I'm thinking $100 max.

Plus they need to accept either a USB input or a mini-jack. So typical desktop computer speakers. I've heard good things about the small desktop Maggies, but I'm also sure they need a sub.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 10:23:38 AM »
Thanks guys, these are some good recommendations, but still above the price point for a college student/dorm. I'm thinking $100 max.

Plus they need to accept either a USB input or a mini-jack. So typical desktop computer speakers. I've heard good things about the small desktop Maggies, but I'm also sure they need a sub.

The desktop Maggies actually come with their own sub, but at $1490 I think they are just a wee bit outside youe budget.

http://www.audiolab.com/Magnepan_Mini_Maggie_System_p/magminimaggie.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwq52iBRDEvrC12Jnz6coBEiQA2otXAkvMthaC5NrUtc4MobvjkoEY0ZeRVxNieAaJhubfj1gaAtPf8P8HAQ

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

djdube525

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 03:47:54 PM »
You can typically find the M-Audio Studiophile AV40 around $120... a smidge over the ole budget. Pretty good at around $100.

Looks like Guitar Center has used ones for $100.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 07:40:03 AM »
  Bob really. $500 with USB and I-phone connections and should last the four years and then some..

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 08:38:39 AM »
Charles - read the first post. This is for my daughter in college. She gets too much of my money now.  ](*,)

Not looking for audiophile - just looking for better than average computer store stuff within budget.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »
Bob, my daughter has an Ultimate Ears mini boom bluetooth speaker ($79 @ Amazon) that works with both her phone and computer and she seems quite happy with it.   She loves taking the UE to the park or elsewhere (she's big into hulahooping!).  I believe you can configure two so that you do have stereo...  Not my cup of tea but it sounds pretty damn good for the size and it's indestructible.

Another pair of inexpensive desktop speakers that I've read good things about but haven't heard are the Creative Gigaworks T20. 

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 12:39:22 PM »
Now we're talking. And it comes in orange, her favorite color (don't ask). USB, wireless, rechargeable, portable, plays from phone or computer, <$100.

I think this may be a winner.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 09:16:17 AM »
I've looked at more speakers in the last week than I care to admit. I think this one is probably perfect for my daughter. It is Bluetooth or wired. It has a rechargeable battery, so it is portable. It is not stereo, but she is OK with that, and it is small.

Ultimate Ears MINI BOOM Wireless Bluetooth Speaker/Speakerphone

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Wireless-Bluetooth-Speaker-Speakerphone/dp/B00E9YIFQ4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1414354274&sr=8-5&keywords=bluetooth+wireless+speaker+boombox

However, now I'm getting the bug to update my own desktop speakers, and so far I think these are leading the pack:

Emotiva Airmotiv 4s | Powered Studio Monitor

http://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-Airmotiv-4s-Powered-Monitor/dp/B00JMQ5X2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414354430&sr=8-1&keywords=emotiva+speakers

These Focal XS Book speakers also look very nice at about the same price point.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-60655-focal-xs-book-speakers.aspx

Does anyone have any compare between the 2? (I never should have dug deeper into this thing to begin with)