Author Topic: Bamboo speaker enclosures?  (Read 13945 times)

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Bamboo speaker enclosures?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »
I plan on building a pair of speakers from "Plyboo" (as I've heard it called) one of these days. Looks like fun to work with. Although I think every sharp edge in my workshop would soon be in the trash.  :lol:

I've also seen guys cover their MDF speakers with Bamboo flooring. That's a cheaper alternative to the Plyboo, and much easier on the saw blades as there's less cutting.

Bob

p.s. Do a search for Panzerholtz plywood if you want to see something neat. The Germans use wood to line tanks and armored cars. I'd pee myself if I could build something with that stuff. To date, there are no North American distributors that sell it.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »
Yip. That stuff is cool too. The speakers I'm building right now were *almost* made from pin blocks. I was trying hard to get the guy to choose that stuff.  :lol:

Bob

Offline tybee

• Seeking Help
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »
Here's west coast speaker maker using bamboo now hooked up with Bottlehead:

http://www.blumenstein-ultra-fi.com/

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
Good link tybee! Thanks

I have known Clark Blumenstein for a few years, he is a very special person. A true artist inside and out.

Vapor1

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 09:19:28 PM »
It is used because it is considered a Greener material. Salk I believe charges about 700.00 extra for Bamboo

I wonder if it also may have different resonant characteristics than traditional cabinet materials (MDF) making it better, or worse, than those(?)

Laminated toilet paper is better than MDF, or at least equal.  Seriously, I hate MDF ... and if you knew how easily air passes right through a 3/4" sheet of MDF when laid on a vacuum clamp CNC table, you'd NEVER use it for a speaker cabinet. 

I've played with bamboo ply's before, and don't think they offer anything over true Baltic Birch ply.  Either is a huge step up from MDF.  Another product you should be able to get easily from local hardwood stores is MDO, Medium Density Overlay.  It's a nice quality ply with each face covered in a resin (epoxy) soaked paper veneer.  The paper is then applied to the ply under heat and pressure, and is very hard ... completely moisure resistant.  In fact most road signs are now made from MDO.  It's an excellent surface for painting, or for applying veneer, and it's relatively inexpensive ... and very strong.