Author Topic: Silverline Sonatina 2  (Read 5819 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Silverline Sonatina 2
« on: March 21, 2010, 06:37:41 AM »
I bought a pair of these with the biwire binding posts and they came without jumpers. I previously ran PNF Symphony cable to the single pair of binding posts on my Audio Physic Sparks but i am biwiring the Sonatina 2's with the PNF cable on the top posts and MAC CUQ cable on the bottom posts because i dont have any jumpers. Should i use jumpers with the PNF cables that i prefer and if so who makes good jumpers ? or is biwire the way to go.all opinions are welcome.thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Silverline Sonatina 2
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 06:57:26 AM »
Congrats on the new speaks Bunky.  How bout some pictures???    :drool:

It would be nice to have some jumpers to make experimenting easier. PNF doesn't list jumpers on their site, but I bet they could make some for you.  Pure copper sheet  makes a nice DIY jumper on the cheap.
http://basiccopper.com/

Biwiring does have advantages. But hard to qualify when two different brand wires are used whether it would be better to just use one with jumpers. You have to try it to know for sure.

Once you get your jumpers, try the diagonal (series) hookup that ecramer showed us. Using a single speaker wire, connect red to positive tweeter and black to negative woofer. You will get 80% of the effect of biwiring. Swap the hookups so that the red goes to woofer to see if you like that better, a tweak though up by Carl, which helps tune it further.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:45:49 AM »
Hey Rich, my daughters have digital cameras but i dont so i will have to ask one of them to take pictures.several months ago i bought a Loc Vu modded Golden Tube audio SE 40 from a gentleman named Loc Vu who heads the Yahoo Golden tube Audio group and he is somewhat of a expert when it comes to these tube amps. it delivers 40wpc of class A single ended goodness .  i have wanted Silverline speakers for some time now and i have read that the 93db Sonatina 2s do well with single ended power amps so a few weeks ago when i saw a pretty book matched Santos rosewood pair for $1700.00 on Audiogon i contacted the owner and bargained with him and he agreed to sell them for $1400.00  :thumb: i emailed PNF audio on friday to inquire about having them make two pair of jumpers for me using the Symphony cable but i have recieved no response from them yet.thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:09:48 AM »
Wow, sounds like a great combination. You are always coming up with something new William! A true AN frontiersman! What preamp these days?

Offline Bunky

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 02:19:47 PM »
I had Vlad at Audio Mirror build me a 6N1P version of his tube rectified T-61 linestage with Jantzen Audio Supreme Z-caps which he says he now prefers over the Sonicaps he was using previously.He said i can also run 6DJ8/6922/7308 tubes with it too. i also have my trusty VTL TL 2.5 with the Circa 1962 Amperex Holland D getter ECC186/7316 PQ's. i have not tried the VTL  2.5 with the Sonatina 2's yet so there is a good chance that i may prefer it to the Audio Mirror preamp.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 02:36:44 PM »
Cool! I may have some NOS Russian 6N1Ps donors for you, if I can find them.

edit: nope, can't find them.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:14:39 AM by richidoo »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 07:11:35 AM »
  Nice speakers those Silverlines. The first time they were at the Sterophile show in NY we were very impressed with their line. priced right as well.
  That 6N1P can be a bit sterile and bright IMO. The 7308 option is a winner as well as NOS 6DJ8s. Have fun enoy the new toys.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 02:56:14 PM »
I have a matched quad of Amperex USA 7308's but i have not rolled any in the T-61 yet.  i just hooked up the VTL TL 2.5 with the D-getter 7316's and i am listening to the complete recordings of Robert Johnson. Very Tough to beat the Holland made long plate D-getter Amperex PQ 7316  :drool: this holy Grail 12AU7 varient was specified for use in computers but i have never heard any other 12AU7 tube even come close in the tube rectified 2.5 or even when i had the SS rectified Candela for that matter. I would like to try a pair of  6DJ8 bugle boys in the T-61. anyone have a pair they are willing to sell ? thanks....WCW III
-- Frank Zappa