Author Topic: Crossover upgrading  (Read 17414 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Crossover upgrading
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
Rick used 'Clarity' caps.. and I'm sure they'll open up more with break-in.. but I don't know how much.  They're of reasonable size.  Steve took some photos of the crossovers.. maybe he'll post them here?
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2009, 02:41:25 PM »
Any updates?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2009, 03:56:16 PM »
Still lovin' it.  I've done some tube rolling and things just keep getting better.  I just moved my speakers an inch and need to re-measure everything again to get them dead-on.. but I haven't really wanted to change anything yet.. I still want to add subs, though.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 04:00:23 PM »
Any pics or a description of the modifications?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 01:50:50 PM »
I came here to make a quick update and noticed I'd missed your question, Face.. I thought someone shot some at our big comparison/G2G with Stereofool's stock C8 Ltd's.  It's nothing spectacular.. For now just imagine point to point wired caps and inductors, in a big black box.  ;)

Back to the update.. I decided to pull down the tweeter a touch because it's just too harsh/hard for my listening/musical tastes.  I wanted to be sure I was doing it right so I enlisted the help of Richidoo.  The friend that he is, he drove here w/ soldering gun and all sorts of tools and toys.. It was basically minor surgery, just add a resistor where Rick Selah described.. but crossovers just aren't my realm... In any case, Rich pretty much just added them.. and thanks a million

My system 'should be' laid back.. I have a tubed non oversampling DAC, tubed pre with romantic tubes, and McIntosh amp.. But it wasn't.  It did/does a lot right, though.  Now it's actually a little laid back, like it 'should be'. 8)

Many songs that were previously unlistenable now are.. and the detail is still there.  I can listen 'into' the music now.  I get to hear the intent of the music... I can reach out and touch the soul.  It's like the singer, cymbals, and high hats took a half-step back.  Also, it sounds like the bass is a little louder which I like.. since I can't afford subs yet. ;)  I'll continue to get used to these changes over the next month and see how it goes.  I might reduce resistance a little to get back a little bite but maybe not.  I think it sounds pretty much like it should given the electronics in front of the speakers. 

Do resistors break in?  Seems like it's sort of changing as I listen.. not sure if that's me or the new thing, though..

Thanks again to Rich!!!!  :thumb:

-C

shep

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2010, 03:05:49 PM »
Resistors do break in, but nothing like the sometimes endless process with caps.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2010, 03:56:23 PM »
You're more than welcome Carlman!  They sound a little laid back for me, but the edge is polished off nicely, which fits your listening style better. Maybe less singeing the eyebrows now.  :D   I prefer it as it was, dead flat for violin excitement. It's only a smidge and on attitudinal rock it is welcome.

If you want a little more bass, you could pad the mids with the 2 ohm, then pad the tweet with the 4ohm. Then M andT stay as they are now but the bass is relatively louder. You got the parts, might as well try it.