Author Topic: Static Issue  (Read 14195 times)

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
Static Issue
« on: February 18, 2016, 02:15:13 PM »
Every once in awhile I get static from my right speaker when turning my volume control. I have cleaned the pot and all my tube pins and connections. It goes away for a few days then come back. I have even switched the left and right channels and it happens with any source. Do I need a new volume control ?

Any ideas ?
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Static Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 05:21:33 AM »

Did you use a product like Deoxit? How old is the preamp?
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 06:11:57 AM »
If it's only happening when you're turning the volume control, it's likely just a slightly dirty pot and probably just needs a good bit more attention with a product like Caig DeoxIT.   I've managed to clean really nasty/noisy pots with it to eliminate all noise, but it took a lot of squirting and knob twisting to get there. 

Offline ejk

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:42:14 AM »

Did you use a product like Deoxit? How old is the preamp?

I've had for maybe 2 years. It's an integrated Almarro  318b that I bought off Jim(Hogg) and he had it boxed up for awhile. He never uses anything so I would say it's practically brand new.
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline ejk

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 07:44:21 AM »
I'm going to order the Deoxit. I used and electrical contact cleaner from work previously and I figure we pay NASA prices for it that it should be good enough  :rofl:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 04:38:11 PM »
Every once in awhile I get static from my right speaker when turning my volume control. I have cleaned the pot and all my tube pins and connections. It goes away for a few days then come back. I have even switched the left and right channels and it happens with any source. Do I need a new volume control ?

Any ideas ?

Maybe. Is it a closed pot ? If so lots of turning and spraying. some have a small hole to get inside good luck.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 05:27:30 PM »
I'm going to order the Deoxit. I used and electrical contact cleaner from work previously and I figure we pay NASA prices for it that it should be good enough  :rofl:

If you use the Deoxit. Do not and i mean do not!  :D Did say i do not?

Do not lose the attached straw on the canister. You will be screwed blewed and tattoed to find another one to fit the canister. And you need the straw. You don't want to spray with out it.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline ejk

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 12:34:53 PM »
Finally got around to taking the bottom of the amp ad spraying Deoxit inside the volume control.
Static is gone but was also gone with the other contact cleaner I used. Lets see if the Deoxit lasts longer

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 02:48:46 PM »
Deoxit D5 leaves a thin film to supposedly slow oxidation compared to plain cleaner spray.

Offline ejk

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 04:37:13 PM »
Deoxit D5 leaves a thin film to supposedly slow oxidation compared to plain cleaner spray.

I should spray my wife with it

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 01:46:57 PM »

I should spray my wife with it

Using short tingling sprays of course.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »
I think you have a problem with a loose speaker connection on the right speaker.

The volume pot controls BOTH channels, so you should be getting static out of BOTH speakers. I have had dirty/bad volume controls and the noise/static was always out of both speakers.

Am I reading to far into this?  :duh
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline ejk

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 03:57:34 PM »
I think you have a problem with a loose speaker connection on the right speaker.

The volume pot controls BOTH channels, so you should be getting static out of BOTH speakers. I have had dirty/bad volume controls and the noise/static was always out of both speakers.

Am I reading to far into this?  :duh

No it's the volume control. I have tried different speaker cables and the problem was still there. Sprayed the Deoxit and it worked. for how long who knows, we'll see.

Offline ejk

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 05:10:51 AM »
UPDATE

It's been 6 months and the static has not returned. As far as I'm concerned my problem has been solved

Offline dflee

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 06:10:13 AM »
Must of been the short tingling sprays that did it.
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.