Author Topic: Are Lyrics Important to You?  (Read 1890 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Are Lyrics Important to You?
« on: March 12, 2018, 06:13:20 AM »
I think this question applies to most genre's of music, but not all. Do you care about the lyrics or is the voice just another instrument?

Rock and Roll - sometimes I care and sometimes not. Hell, I can be singing along using nonsense lyrics because I don't know the real words.

Prog Rock - lyrics don't matter to me, I'm there for the music

Country - it's all about the lyrics

Opera - who cares what that translates to

Jazz - again, sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't, mostly the latter

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Are Lyrics Important to You?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:04:45 AM »
  It all matters. Sinatra without piano ? Except most rock because the lyrics are drowned out mostly. Rap yes however not my bag. So I guess depends on venue.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
I think this question applies to most genre's of music, but not all. Do you care about the lyrics or is the voice just another instrument?

Rock and Roll - sometimes I care and sometimes not. Hell, I can be singing along using nonsense lyrics because I don't know the real words.

Prog Rock - lyrics don't matter to me, I'm there for the music

Country - it's all about the lyrics

Opera - who cares what that translates to

Jazz - again, sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't, mostly the latter

It matters to me, but it’s not critical. It is annoying to really be into the music and the lyrics are goofy. Can’t understand why not simply put more effort into the lyrics. However, maybe poorly written lyrics might be the lure, the “hook”,  for some people.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:43:45 PM »
I feel that lyrics can only enhance the experience. Of course music is very subjective and different pieces of music do influence people in different ways.

I think that with certain genres like opera, one can be swayed by the music alone, but understanding the lyrics and plot or a certain character's frame of mind can be so much more rewarding but not knowing what the lyrics mean should not take listeners out of the moment. I remember Philip Glass was opposed to the Met Opera's practice of allowing the lights to be on during performances so people could read the libretti.

For some genres like music theater (Broadway), I feel the lyrics are indispensable because a lot of the impact depends on understanding the witty writing, such as lyrics by Sondheim, Lerner, or Tim Rice, for instance.

For pop or rock, lyrics might not mean as much. I remember misunderstanding lyrics to some rock songs for years. A few years ago I saw a Japanese technopop act - Perfume. I did not fully understand the lyrics to some of the songs, but enjoyed it immensely , nevertheless!