Author Topic: Do we have any speaker builders here?  (Read 54562 times)

Mike L

Do we have any speaker builders here?
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2007, 09:38:08 PM »
Dual ported cabinets I guess.  :D

Mike

Ryno

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2007, 04:29:14 PM »
To those with 2641's, could you get by without a sub for HT use? I have a 2 channel TV system with a 120wpc NAD and a behringer 2496 EQ in a small to medium sized room. I'd dont really have room for a sub, but dont really need super low bass.
Thanks, Ryan

Mike L

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2007, 05:18:15 PM »
I don't think you would be complaining.  Those little extremis can pound it pretty good.  I personally would classify these as exceptional home theatre speakers.  If all you are using these for is home theatre maybe you could turn the port around to make it rear ported and it would give you more....very boomy but more.  Some of the speaker gurus can comment on that suggestion however.

Mike

Christof

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2007, 06:38:58 AM »
Quote from: "bpape"
I've not built any for a long long time.  I may be building some in the near future.  Thinking of working with Rick Craig of Selah on a custom design.  

I just got his SSR's in as a trial and demo set for the STL guys to check out.  I'll post the findings once I get a good handle on them.  They're available as a kit or prefinished.  The ones he sent are in piano black and are gorgeous.

Bryan

I too have built a few of Rick Craig's designs along with more public domain DIY designs than I care to mention.  As far as commercial "kit" speakers go Rick is on heck of a speaker designer and he practically gives his design work away for the retail price of the drivers and parts.  Get them while they are hot, the bargain kits from Selah might not last too much longer.  This is not meant to be a plug for Selah but they are worth a look.

I've got a little blog type thing going hereon  about a pair of Selah speakers I'm in the process of building.  Seas Nextel Excel 5" mds, ScanSpeak 6600 AirCirc tweeter and Seas L26 Aluminum bass drivers in an mtmww cabinet.

Mike L

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2007, 07:00:03 AM »
I was thinking of building the Peridot before.  Seems like a very good bargain.  However, ideally I would prefer a MTMW configuration, even though my room is too small.  My next build will definately be atleast a MTM as I prefer the higher soundstage you get with drivers above tweeter/ear level.  Somebody has the RC5 on order in my hometown and Rick is going to give him/her my email address so hopefully I will be able to hear/see them......Please, Please!

I would like to one day do a MTM with the ScanSpeak revelator slit paper drivers.  I have seen a kit offering this but I would like to do it as a transmission line much like the Seas Thor.  I would think it would have very good output down low and sound smoooooth.  

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2007, 04:28:39 PM »
Quote from: "opnly bafld"
I have had VMPS RM40s for about 2 1/2 years and last spring bought a $2k pair of hybrid mono blocks to go with them (quite well I might add), only to discover, within weeks of getting the new amps, single drivers and OB.  ](*,)
My large speakers and nice amps are now mostly collecting dust.
I do have 2 listening rooms, so I plan on separating the two, but I have a pretty good idea which ones I will listen to most.

Lin :D / :(

Gosh, if I had known the potentials of OB or making DIY speakers, I would have saved myself a bundle of dough from purchasing commercial speakers.

The problem with Fullrange, single driver speaker ventures....the outlay of $$$ if so much less than buying commercial boxed speakers, that one becomes a hoarder of other sort of equipment, raw drivers!  Ouch. :twisted: